Stop Cycling up Ditchling Beacon!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
For doing what?

Not punching somebody?
Yep, £400 fine + oh I can't remember.

But I raised merry hell when I pointed out to the 'victim' if he wasn't there he wouldn't have been hit.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
It's not the quickest route if it involves driving dangerously because you feel aggrieved to be "stuck behind cyclists" though, is it.

Save five minutes. Or save a life.

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
It's not the quickest route if it involves driving dangerously because you feel aggrieved to be "stuck behind cyclists" though, is it.

Save five minutes. Or save a life.

Or there could be something out in place to stop people cycling up it at certain times. It is a tricky road for motorists at the best of times and it is not made any easier when there is some bloke in his lycra heaving it. The corners are sharp and even at 30mph you could easily clump one of them. Although after some of the daft comments on here today i might go all out and wizz up at at least 45!!!!!

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
Should they ban cycling entirely? I think yes

With that kind of statement, it's reasonably self-evident that you do too much thinking at all.

Was that one of your better efforts?

Comedy Steve

We're f'ing brilliant
Oct 20, 2003
BN6
There's nothing like a cycling v driving thread on NSC. It's the equivalent of a medieval rag and bone man walking through town shouting "Bring out your c*nts".

armchairclubber

Aug 8, 2010
Bexhill
I'm not sure you're aware but if you bought a mountain bike you cycle up the hill and wouldn't have to use the road at all thus not putting yours and other peoples lives in danger. Or is that not as 'challenging'

but surely all those 4x4's in Ditchling/Hassocks/ HHeath could simply just off road up the hill somewhere,don't tell me you haven't got one ?

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
but surely all those 4x4's in Ditchling/Hassocks/ HHeath could simply just off road up the hill somewhere,don't tell me you haven't got one ?

Ok i won't. I don't have one but shhhhhhhhhh, i won't tell you.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Its almost amusing how angry people seem to be about someone riding a bike up a hill! These people seriously need to relax, no harm is being done.

Plus people shouldn't expect to be able to always drive at 60mph on minor roads.

Why do cyclists not pay some form of tax to use the roads?
You don't pay tax to USE the roads. You pay tax because you DAMAGE the roads, by wearing them out. 44 ton lorries pay £1,850 a year vehicle excise duty because they do the most damage. Cyclists pay nothing, because they cause no damage.

culvers

Jul 6, 2003
Sutton
Or there could be something out in place to stop people cycling up it at certain times. It is a tricky road for motorists at the best of times and it is not made any easier when there is some bloke in his lycra heaving it. The corners are sharp and even at 30mph you could easily clump one of them. Although after some of the daft comments on here today i might go all out and wizz up at at least 45!!!!!

I think your problem might be that you are driving to drive up the Beacon at 30mph!

rouseytastic

Sep 22, 2011
Haywards Heath
I think your problem might be that you are driving to drive up the Beacon at 30mph!

Read that comment 7 times now and it still doesn't make any sense at all. Congrats

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Would it be fair to suggest that this thread hasn't gone in the direction that the OP had hoped?

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Read that comment 7 times now and it still doesn't make any sense at all. Congrats

The Highway Code will help you again here. It's available from all good bookshops, or for free on the web.

Adapt your driving to the appropriate type and condition of road you are on. In particular

•do not treat speed limits as a target. It is often not appropriate or safe to drive at the maximum speed limit
•take the road and traffic conditions into account. Be prepared for unexpected or difficult situations, for example, the road being blocked beyond a blind bend. Be prepared to adjust your speed as a precaution
•where there are junctions, be prepared for road users emerging
•in side roads and country lanes look out for unmarked junctions where nobody has priority
•be prepared to stop at traffic control systems, road works, pedestrian crossings or traffic lights as necessary
•try to anticipate what pedestrians and cyclists might do. If pedestrians, particularly children, are looking the other way, they may step out into the road without seeing you

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here