Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale,,,,,,

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Thing is in all the home games I've watched this season there hasn't been an occasion where he has had to make a MOM contribution because the defence has largely done its job.

Cardiff? He only needed an error free performance in that game. Did very well apart from the ricket in that game didn't he?

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Got to say I've 100% backed him up to now but I think I may of been wrong . Looks a very poor keeper so far . Concerning

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
I cannot accept this as I played in goal, many years ago granted and people who now coach goalkeepers agree about his mistakes but you seem to know better than all of these.

And here with have classic BensGrandad argument technique, move away from the original point being argued - you still haven't replied to why my explanation was wrong, and refuse to admit anything was wrong with the original post.

Now go back and read what you wrote then go and have a look at the highlights. At all times the forward was in control of the ball, Stockdale is having to react and try to guess what the forward will do with it. In fact he succeeds in the aim of keeping the forward from shooting by spreading himself at the last minute and making him play it across goal. He was never in a position to make a grab for the ball.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Stockdale is the worst keeper we have had since Graeme Smith. He is costing us a goal a game and the points lost because of this are now stacking up. Time to let young Walton have a taste of first team action with Casper supporting him.
Clearly he told Ince to bottle it in the wall v Watford and of course the goal Forest scored was his fault and the header Birmingham scored was his fault when he told JFC to lose the ball badly in midfield.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Clearly he told Ince to bottle it in the wall v Watford and of course the goal Forest scored was his fault and the header Birmingham scored was his fault when he told JFC to lose the ball badly in midfield.

There's really no point in arguing. Stockdale is clearly the new Barnes and every goal we concede is his fault. I'm not saying he's been perfect but the people saying he was fault for both goals yesterday are just using him as a scapegoat. He's not the first. Ashley Barnes may well still be here if it wasn't for the abuse he got from certain sections of fans and we could really do with him as an option up front at the moment. But these people don't learn.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I've now watched the highlights and he has actually parried it to the side rather than straight out because the forward clips it in from a fairly acute angle. The original shot was hit first time at speed and Stockdale has had to make a quick reaction save, he is still diving slightly backwards and it is near to the post, at that speed it is not always possible to bend your wrists to the angle where you want the ball to go. Obviously you are such a superior keeper who can do this all the time whatever the weight and speed of the shot, I can't and when I need to parry I push to the side which is exactly what Stockdale did.

Simple question is where's the defence in all this. Middlesbrough keeper did a similar thing later on when Calderon's shot almost crept in but the difference is their defence was doing it's job. Defence has done quite well this season but they (and arguably the midfield for not providing cover) are to blame for both goals yesterday. Hard to believe how anyone could miss that.

gully1984

May 3, 2014
If that was his best attempting to keep the ball out for their second, he's simply not very good then. 100% at fault. I coach goalkeepers and I for one would never teach them to push the ball back into play.

What's all this shit about fans, I've watched us for over 40 years, the team were shit yesterday and all the fans who climbed up to the wsu comfortably put more effort in than some of those in blue and white on the pitch. Give something for the supporters to get behind and they will. It's sad if some are blaming our fans in anyway for the crap we are watching the buck stops with the whole team inc the management.

A great post here! 100% agree. [emoji108]

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
And here with have classic BensGrandad argument technique, move away from the original point being argued - you still haven't replied to why my explanation was wrong, and refuse to admit anything was wrong with the original post.

Now go back and read what you wrote then go and have a look at the highlights. At all times the forward was in control of the ball, Stockdale is having to react and try to guess what the forward will do with it. In fact he succeeds in the aim of keeping the forward from shooting by spreading himself at the last minute and making him play it across goal. He was never in a position to make a grab for the ball.

How many times do yoyu need telling he was half sat and half layed on the ground and had the opportunity to make a grab for the ball but failed to do so or at least attempt to.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
How many times do yoyu need telling he was half sat and half layed on the ground and had the opportunity to make a grab for the ball but failed to do so or at least attempt to.

Half sat half laying on the ground? He runs our shifting weight from foot to foot ready to dive either way, and as soon as he is close to the attacker, the boro player pulls it back, as that ball is played Stockdale dives. He had no chance to grab the ball.

He absolutely made a very basic mistake for the second, but he can't be blamed in any way for the first.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
If you watch yourvideo yu will see he threw huimself at the players feet but didnt put his hands or arms out in any direction to attempt to stop the ball. I dont hold him entirely responsible for that goal but feel he could have done better and that is when a keeper earns the extra points for a team.

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
If you watch yourvideo yu will see he threw huimself at the players feet but didnt put his hands or arms out in any direction to attempt to stop the ball. I dont hold him entirely responsible for that goal but feel he could have done better and that is when a keeper earns the extra points for a team.

Sigh, he's spread himself in a way to stop any shots going under him or any going over the top of him, and has succeeded because the striker has played it across goal instead. He isn't going for the ball because he does not have a chance of getting it, do you not understand that? If he goes flying in for a ball he doesn't control all the attacker is going to do is tumble over him and claim a penalty.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
That doesnt stop him putting out a hand as he goes down knowing what direction the ball will probably go. If his constant worry was about a penalty he wouldnt do anything as it could be misinterpreted

Theatre of Trees

Jul 5, 2003
TQ2905
That doesnt stop him putting out a hand as he goes down knowing what direction the ball will probably go.

Jesus Christ are you thick or something. Until the ball is played Stockdale DOES NOT KNOW which way the ball is going to go, he is waiting to react to one of three or four decisions the attacker can make. The attacker has all the cards at that point.

REACT is the key word here, do you not understand this?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
The replay doesn't actually show it properly, from behind in the north stand you could see him visibly hesitant, it was poor goalkeeping - it was more obvious seeing it live and close up, sometimes replays don't show things properly; having seen the second although it was an instinct reaction he should have pushed it out, but that's easy to say sitting at a computer screen.

It would not be an issue if we took our chances. He will be fine. Carry on David.

And not in that way.

Well yesterday we created nothing, if he didn't make mistakes maybe our one goal against cardiff would have been enough.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here