Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale,,,,,,

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Half sat half laying on the ground? He runs our shifting weight from foot to foot ready to dive either way, and as soon as he is close to the attacker, the boro player pulls it back, as that ball is played Stockdale dives. He had no chance to grab the ball.

He absolutely made a very basic mistake for the second, but he can't be blamed in any way for the first.

The first was a collective cock up. He's hesitant but not the worst offender by far. The second is down to him, simple as.

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Neuer would look dodgy if he had our defence in front of him. Not blaming the defenders here but the tactics which leave such wide open spaces

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
What like he did in the first minute when he was slow off his line? Looked a close one from where I was.

Stopped the player shooting? Rather he'd have just got the ball, it was a lack of sharpness and starting position.

Incidentally, did they not score anyway?

What a bizarre comment. Yes, they did score anyway but he stopped the striker shooting by closing him down and his defence should have closed down the other Middlesbrough players.

Also, I don't think he was slow off his line early on and it wasn't a penalty but it's a completely different situation. This thread is everything that's wrong with NSC, so called fans scapegoating one player for what was a poor performance all round.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not saying he didn't have his shirt pulled, I dont recall it. I'm pretty sure he had time to clear up field before he was closed down though.....I'm sure you'll tell me

He would have had more if he hadn't had his shirt pulled. I was just interested in whether you were saying you disagreed with the fact he had his shirt pulled. If you didn't see it, fair enough but it definitely happened. Greer could probably have done better. D'Urso should definitely have done better.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
And if he takes out their player and gives away a penalty, then he's blamed by people like you and BensGrandad for diving in. He does the right thing, stops the player shooting. It's not his fault we have no defensive cover anywhere near Tomlin to block the shot.

Reach overhit his touch which allowed DS to come out and spread himself had he been a bit sharper IMO.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Reach overhit his touch which allowed DS to come out and spread himself had he been a bit sharper IMO.

Why do I bother? Apparently everyone on here wants our goalkeeper to be diving in in the penalty area and risking giving away a penalty (which is a risk whatever you think). I'm sure you should all be goalkeeping coaches and teach that!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Neuer would look dodgy if he had our defence in front of him. Not blaming the defenders here but the tactics which leave such wide open spaces

And that's the problem for Stockdale. He's compared to Kuszczak who did well but had two season behind a very solid team with quite a defensive formation. We've suddenly got a more attacking team, especially the full back, leaving the keeper more exposed. That's apparently Stockdale's fault.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
He would have had more if he hadn't had his shirt pulled. I was just interested in whether you were saying you disagreed with the fact he had his shirt pulled. If you didn't see it, fair enough but it definitely happened. Greer could probably have done better. D'Urso should definitely have done better.

No, not disagreeing he had his shirt pulled because I didn't see or remember it, so can't argue that point. I would have to see a replay of it to be honest. All I remember is he took a touch got closed down and then lost the ball. I'm pretty sure had he cleared up field BEFORE he was closed down then we wouldn't be debating this point IMO.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
What a bizarre comment. Yes, they did score anyway but he stopped the striker shooting by closing him down and his defence should have closed down the other Middlesbrough players.

Also, I don't think he was slow off his line early on and it wasn't a penalty but it's a completely different situation. This thread is everything that's wrong with NSC, so called fans scapegoating one player for what was a poor performance all round.

Hardly bizarre, if he was sharper and started a yard further out he would have got the ball, no penalty a good save.

So he hasn't shot, what was the outcome?

I agree with you on the scapegoating players and am just offering an opinion. If you look at my earlier post you'll see I said could've done better, and that Bennett was also culpable on the second.

if anyone is to blame, it is the manager for persisting with these dumb-ass tactics.

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Why do I bother? Apparently everyone on here wants our goalkeeper to be diving in in the penalty area and risking giving away a penalty (which is a risk whatever you think). I'm sure you should all be goalkeeping coaches and teach that!

It's about opinions FS. Why do you believe your right and everyone else is wrong?

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011
Hardly bizarre, if he was sharper and started a yard further out he would have got the ball, no penalty a good save.

So he hasn't shot, what was the outcome?

I agree with you on the scapegoating players and am just offering an opinion. If you look at my earlier post you'll see I said could've done better, and that Bennett was also culpable on the second.

if anyone is to blame, it is the manager for persisting with these dumb-ass tactics.

Agree here..

bhawoddy

Jan 25, 2011

I think you should have glass of sherry and put your feet up........

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Though hope is supposed to be this uplifting feeling, it's often experienced as an irritant or a buzzkill. And nihilism is kind of, well, charming and sexy. Like young Magneto in X-Men First Class. The Stockdale Paradox explains why that might be.

It turns out that there are really two kinds of hope. There's the candy-coated type that encourages people to escape into sugary fantasies rather than cope with a bad situation (keeping a clean sheet). Then there's the brand of hope that allows people to look at the full horror of their situation square in the face, because they have the grim belief that in the end they will prevail (ball in back of net). Both kinds of hope are upsetting — one is airheaded escapism, while the other is too focused on gritty reality to be uplifting. It's the latter kind of hope that's captured by the Stockdale Paradox. :ohmy:

Original link:

http://io9.com/the-stockdale-paradox-reveals-why-hope-is-the-grimmest-1287812990

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Any "fan" who goes onto Twitter and has a go at any player through that players Twitter account is quite frankly pathetic

That is correct but being in the public eye means that you are likely to be the subject of abuse from some people at some time. I stick to a discussion forum, which I understand the players dont read and is intended for fans. If a player read it I would still have the same opinion be it right or wrong.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Any "fan" who goes onto Twitter and has a go at any player through that players Twitter account is quite frankly pathetic

Agreed. Just bullying really. I consider NSC to be a forum where we can discuss opinions and views, and hopefully have mature debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here