Stewards at the end of the game

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

jay

Feb 16, 2009
When coming to the ground i notice that along Eldread Avenue there a Yellow Police cones along there, what if you parked there would it then be towed away as it it is coned off ?

Depends on if the cones were there before or after you parked... With regards to parking... This as many will know has always been the case with the club and residents...

The stewards are there to advise people that there is Park And Ride in operation, but I don't think they have any legal powers (except on road closures) to stop you parking anywhere that is legal.

R. Slicker

Jan 1, 2009
I thought there were parking restrictions near the ground and that was one of the things that enabled us to be at Withdean; and without which we'd still be in f***ing Gillingham fer Christ's sake !!!

Exactly mate, Thats why the club provide park & ride & free travel to the game. Apparantly, according to some, its ok to selfishly park around withdean on matchday now. Just to give the club one more thing to bother about with the complaints from the local residents..

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Why not stay in your seat as per the rules?

Wasn't even aware it was in the rules - i think it is because the stewards are being told to get heavy handed - i have been going for years and always stood down the front to watch the end of the game - it makes it easier to get out at the end - can't see how anything can be inforced when all the staff/players stand by commentry box over in the north stand

I am starting to think the stewards are not very good. Yes enforce the rules but sometimes just use some common sense and being friendly helps. I went to the game yesterday and I had a rucksack with a sleeping bag etc (staying over at a friends house). I fully expected to be checked on the way in so no problem about that. Its the way they went about it. She was simple rude to me. No thank you or please just barked at me. May think its bit of a petty think to complain about but at Millwall it was far superior. I had a rucksack with me with loads books in it. I was checked on the way in and it was polite and friendly. The steward even joked with me about the amount of books I had.

If I was a fan behind you outside the turnstiles, or having to sit beside you in the stand - I'd think you were a bit of an utter PLUM for bringing scads of BOOKS, and a RUCKSACK with a SLEEPING BAG to a FOOTBALL MATCH, ffs! :glare:

Wasn't even aware it was in the rules - i think it is because the stewards are being told to get heavy handed - i have been going for years and always stood down the front to watch the end of the game - it makes it easier to get out at the end - can't see how anything can be inforced when all the staff/players stand by commentry box over in the north stand

Jesus, you beggar belief (and not just for the rubbish spelling).

Enforcing the rules by simply telling people to keep clear of walkways or stay seated as much - sensibly - as possible, is not being "heavy handed". Just as clearing a way for an ambulance-man wouldn't be "heavy handed" if you needed medical assistance, or getting everyone out in an orderly manner for an emergency situation wouldn't be "heavy handed".

If you always stood in the track area at the end of games, then that was by courtesy that you have been let to do that.
If you can guess a little at why the congregating was less desirable while we have no manager, I have to congratulate you (and several others) for the sea-change in your i.q. Go on, have a guess as to why ..... or how about a clue; could be aggressive verbiage and behaviour aimed at interim management/coaching staff? Hmm? Do you think the club and all other supporters needed a crowd gathering en masse behind the dugouts specifically, while other fans wanted to use that walkway to LEAVE the area?

As for the commentary area - Albion staff are instructed to maintain a clear walkway area there. There is accommodation for some disabled in wheelchairs there, and their company when they have someone. Since Withdean do not have an allocated area for the actual club staff, they tend not to always take up seating that can be designated for paying customers.
Do you see the point in that, or do you need me to type slower?
Oops.... I'm displaying a condescending attitude here... I must work on that :blush:

Last edited:

bhadeb

Jan 11, 2008
Jesus, you beggar belief (and not just for the rubbish spelling).

Enforcing the rules by simply telling people to keep clear of walkways or stay seated as much - sensibly - as possible, is not being "heavy handed". Just as clearing a way for an ambulance-man wouldn't be "heavy handed" if you needed medical assistance, or getting everyone out in an orderly manner for an emergency situation wouldn't be "heavy handed".

If you always stood in the track area at the end of games, then that was by courtesy that you have been let to do that.
If you can guess a little at why the congregating was less desirable while we have no manager, I have to congratulate you (and several others) for the sea-change in your i.q. Go on, have a guess as to why ..... or how about a clue; could be aggressive verbiage and behaviour aimed at interim management/coaching staff? Hmm? Do you think the club and all other supporters needed a crowd gathering en masse behind the dugouts specifically, while other fans wanted to use that walkway to LEAVE the area?

As for the commentary area - Albion staff are instructed to maintain a clear walkway area there. There is accommodation for some disabled in wheelchairs there, and their company when they have someone. Since Withdean do not have an allocated area for the actual club staff, they tend not to always take up seating that can be designated for paying customers.
Do you see the point in that, or do you need me to type slower?
Oops.... I'm displaying a condescending attitude here... I must work on that :blush:
There wasn't a need for the attitude no !!

Also i was nowhere near the dugout - i don't really want to be that close to the clueless duo aka chuckle brothers

Last edited:

There wasn't a need for the attitude no !!

Also i was nowhere near the dugout - i don't really want to be that close to the clueless duo aka chuckle brothers

....but you DO understand that many Albion fans want to leave the stadium asap (lately, the sooner the better) do you not? Then you might understand that yesterday's match saw a potential for a larger cross section of fans who wished to congregate, and another large group who wanted to leave faster than normal.
Thus, the wiser choice of steward guidance was opted for (as usual), which was to try and maintain a moving crowd on all parts of the exit-way.
The end.

fairy cakes

Jun 23, 2008
To be fair the sleeping bag was in the bag. I didn’t explain that very well early on. So in both instances you would have seen me just having a rucksack. I would have been a utter plum in secret as no one would have been the wiser what I had in my bag. :lol:

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
Watch the game from start to finish - have food at half time, have a leak or drop a log and get back to your seats. It's not difficult. The stewards are hopeless and sometimes tactless, frequently lacking in courage except when confronting children. Why look for trouble.

jay

Feb 16, 2009
Watch the game from start to finish - have food at half time, have a leak or drop a log and get back to your seats. It's not difficult. The stewards are hopeless and sometimes tactless, frequently lacking in courage except when confronting children. Why look for trouble.

Indeed... and also smokers :ascarf:

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Well, I have to be honest, I sit in Block E and in the last few months there have been 4 aggresive arguments around me, and every time the stewards have been nowhere to be seen. I don't think they want to get involved, and I'd better tell the club actually, make them aware of it. There's a very hands off approach to the behaviour in the stands, and it does make me feel uncomfortable at times. At the Leeds match it seemed everyone was angry and only a matter of moments away from lashing out at someone, and I don't like being in that situation. And that's when you'd like the stewards to walk down the gangway and just remind people they're there. I know it would piss people off because their view would be temporarily obscured, but it would be reassuring.

The argument on saturday was after the 4th goal, so it was at a time when the stewards were focusing on the fans on the track, which is fine, I have no arguments about that, that took priority. But surely there are others around to deal with the crowd aswell? I don't know how the stewarding works, could anyone enlighten me?

Well, I have to be honest, I sit in Block E and in the last few months there have been 4 aggresive arguments around me, and every time the stewards have been nowhere to be seen. I don't think they want to get involved, and I'd better tell the club actually, make them aware of it. There's a very hands off approach to the behaviour in the stands, and it does make me feel uncomfortable at times. At the Leeds match it seemed everyone was angry and only a matter of moments away from lashing out at someone, and I don't like being in that situation. And that's when you'd like the stewards to walk down the gangway and just remind people they're there. I know it would piss people off because their view would be temporarily obscured, but it would be reassuring.

The argument on saturday was after the 4th goal, so it was at a time when the stewards were focusing on the fans on the track, which is fine, I have no arguments about that, that took priority. But surely there are others around to deal with the crowd aswell? I don't know how the stewarding works, could anyone enlighten me?

If people are seated and talking, even with aggressive words exchanged, stewards can't know if they are talking about the weather or discussing killing each other..... unless someone around them makes mention of it.

I watched two blokes talking yesterday with interest, they were 3/4 of the way up the S.Stand in F, one with longish fair hair talking to another 2 rows in front of him. No way to hear what they were saying, only a bit of intuition about it. The moment passed without any situation - but like is said, action speaks louder than words.

The language of a couple of irate fans was under some observation too, for the anti-social aspect of their shouts.

Little chit chats that stewards aren't privy to, wont normally get attended.
Even if they did, the steward would then be accused of being over-the-top about a bit of banter, and would of course then become the brunt of all ire - which would suit the formerly-arguing fans because they could avoid conflict with each other and direct anger at their 'common enemy' - the Albionan People's Front, in hi-viz.

champion7

fast and furious
Feb 12, 2007
Benfield Heights
I work in the south turnstile area and have done for many years so don't get to see much of what goes on pitch side,occasionally i might stand near the first aid room and watch the last 10 mins and have allways seen people track side.I assumed they were on their way out because they were trying to catch trains and buses and had stopped to look at something that might be going on on the pitch. I have never known these people to cause any problems and i personally don't think there is a problem with these people stopping for a look at the action as they are attempting to leave the stadium.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
If people are seated and talking, even with aggressive words exchanged, stewards can't know if they are talking about the weather or discussing killing each other..... unless someone around them makes mention of it.

I watched two blokes talking yesterday with interest, they were 3/4 of the way up the S.Stand in F, one with longish fair hair talking to another 2 rows in front of him. No way to hear what they were saying, only a bit of intuition about it. The moment passed without any situation - but like is said, action speaks louder than words.

The language of a couple of irate fans was under some observation too, for the anti-social aspect of their shouts.

Little chit chats that stewards aren't privy to, wont normally get attended.
Even if they did, the steward would then be accused of being over-the-top about a bit of banter, and would of course then become the brunt of all ire - which would suit the formerly-arguing fans because they could avoid conflict with each other and direct anger at their 'common enemy' - the Albionan People's Front, in hi-viz.

I understand that, I don't expect the stewards to be able to instictively tell what's an argument and what's banter. But the argument I refer to specifically had one guy accusing another of having spat at him, both were stood up and gesturing with their arms, this was in Block E. Everyone was watching, it looked like the guy who'd been allegedly spat at was going to hit the guy in front, they exchanged alot of crossed words and with the intervention of a couple of others, the situation calmed in that they both sat down. I've no doubts if any fisticuffs have occured, the stewards would have intervened, but I'd like more of a presence, could they not occaisonally just appear and walk up the gangways? High visibilty stewarding, I know it might annoy some people, but the majority would be in favour I think. It's a difficult job though, I don't envy anyone who does it, and in fact have great respect for them. But rather than have them all on the advertising hoardings, I'd like a few sat in the stands, just for the presence,

I understand that, I don't expect the stewards to be able to instictively tell what's an argument and what's banter. But the argument I refer to specifically had one guy accusing another of having spat at him, both were stood up and gesturing with their arms, this was in Block E. Everyone was watching, it looked like the guy who'd been allegedly spat at was going to hit the guy in front, they exchanged alot of crossed words and with the intervention of a couple of others, the situation calmed in that they both sat down. I've no doubts if any fisticuffs have occured, the stewards would have intervened, but I'd like more of a presence, could they not occaisonally just appear and walk up the gangways? High visibilty stewarding, I know it might annoy some people, but the majority would be in favour I think. It's a difficult job though, I don't envy anyone who does it, and in fact have great respect for them. But rather than have them all on the advertising hoardings, I'd like a few sat in the stands, just for the presence,

Well then, we already have a rather large number of people who dislike steward interventions, and there are some who would like more!
With a steward sat in the stand, they will be expected to either tell everyone to sit even when they stand for a goal or moment of excitement - or else they will be said to be condoning standing if they don't say anything!

All banter with any swearing would immediately be clamped down on, with those closest wanting freedom of speech away from that steward, and so many around said steward will be complaining at that steward week-in and week-out about smoking rules/standing rules/parking rules/etcetera etcetera etcerera (etc).

No really, if you know of an issue arising that is requiring of notice, feel invited to get a steward's attention to the matter.

Last edited:

yellownblue

Mar 6, 2009
Ever thought its the people in the control box telling the stewards to move the crowd on, expecting the crowd to be aggressive towards the management. But maybe some supporters dont see a broader picture and only live in a small square box.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
To be fair the sleeping bag was in the bag. I didn’t explain that very well early on. So in both instances you would have seen me just having a rucksack. I would have been a utter plum in secret as no one would have been the wiser what I had in my bag. :lol:

As stewards, especially at Millwall are usually blissfully unaware of the existence or even the joy of books, you may expect future issues I'm sure - do you have to take sleeping bags and books to football matches - my bag is usually so full of drinks and sausage rolls that I just wouldn't be inclined to dig out my ageing collection of Alistair McLean's.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
i do not get the whole scenario of leaving your seat in a hissy because we are playing poorly then loitering around the disabled area to watch the rest of the game? its not exactly going to be a crush to get out with 6,000 type crowds now is it. kyn strange

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports