Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell signed

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
If Sidwell went there it would show he has no ambition whatsoever and also that he is just a money man too of which I believe neither.
Why would you go to Fulham, shit hole ground, crap fan base (all the poor people that can't afford Chelsea prices ) ha ha !! not a chance in hell of being in the PL at all.

He's played for us before, great ground, ambitious boardroom, great club spirit and a good manager ( although i admit i was a bit Hughton out the other week ) for which i profusely apologise to all on here and i would to the mans face if i could.
Any player would be mental to Fulham over Brighton

Two reasons why he may well choose Fulham over us, are because he was a regular member of their midfield until three years ago, and because he would walk straight into their first team again.

If he were to come here, he would presumably have to fight for a regular starting role with Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens. Two players that I would be very reluctant to leave out.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
My thoughts to a tee. Especially now that we have Knockeart, and LuaLua fit again, to unlock defences, create space, and put pinpoint crosses into the box.

I have been whining on for some time, that if we could just find a striker who could guarantee us 10/12 goals in the remainder of this season, that could make the difference between another season in the Championship, and promotion to the promised land.

Only need to see the goal difference of the top six ours is so poor we are just a goal scorer short having said that if Sidwell was available at the right wages would be good

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I may be different to most but I believe that we have adequate strikers and if we can improve the service to them they will score goals,. This is why the return of Bong to supply Murphy is essential and cant come soon enough..

I'm all for us signing a quality striker before the deadline, however I take your point re Bong, and would much rather see him at left back than either Rosenior or Treadwell.

I'd also like to see him reigniting his understanding with Lualua, that worked so well early in the season.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I may be different to most but I believe that we have adequate strikers and if we can improve the service to them they will score goals,. This is why the return of Bong to supply Murphy is essential and cant come soon enough..

I disagree. Even when we were firing on all cylinders with Bong and KLL, we still weren't scoring enough goals. I've never been a Baldock fan and Hemed isn't looking to be too much better so far. Bobby has to be looked after, which is absolutely fine as he's by far and away our best striker, and Wilson (who I think shows big promise) could potentially be recalled at any time.

Nope, I'm never going to be convinced that we don't need to get a proven striker in to help seal promotion.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I disagree. Even when we were firing on all cylinders with Bong and KLL, we still weren't scoring enough goals. I've never been a Baldock fan and Hemed isn't looking to be too much better so far. Bobby has to be looked after, which is absolutely fine as he's by far and away our best striker, and Wilson (who I think shows big promise) could potentially be recalled at any time.

Nope, I'm never going to be convinced that we don't need to get a proven striker in to help seal promotion.

we were winning games 1-0 which is more than sufficient to get automatic if we get enough of them, especially against the top 4 teams who we have to play plus they have to play each other.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Two reasons why he may well choose Fulham over us, are because he was a regular member of their midfield until three years ago, and because he would walk straight into their first team again.

If he were to come here, he would presumably have to fight for a regular starting role with Beram Kayal and Dale Stephens. Two players that I would be very reluctant to leave out.

But they are reliant on stoke being willing to cover everything over 10k per week of his current wage

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
we were winning games 1-0 which is more than sufficient to get automatic if we get enough of them, especially against the top 4 teams who we have to play plus they have to play each other.

Again, disagree.

Winning games by only one goal may get us into the playoffs or even automatic, but equally our poor goal difference could make us miss out on either in a very tight division.

Crucially, by not killing games off we have had to fight the full 90 minutes in all games and that has meant no chance of resting key players with substitutions. As we saw, that tiredness caught up with us when the hard games came thick and fast over Christmas.

Who wouldn't crave the comfort of not having to win games by just one goal!?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Again, disagree.

Winning games by only one goal may get us into the playoffs or even automatic, but equally our poor goal difference could make us miss out on either in a very tight division.

Crucially, by not killing games off we have had to fight the full 90 minutes in all games and that has meant no chance of resting key players with substitutions. As we saw, that tiredness caught up with us when the hard games came thick and fast over Christmas.

Who wouldn't crave the comfort of not having to win goals by just one goal!?

In an ideal world we will sign a 20 goal striker but other than GM on loan who can we afford? This is not an ideal world.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
One look at the Amex and he'll be begging to come here

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thought that if Sidwell is out priced due to wages what about Wilson Palacios but looking at Wiki he is now playing for Miamii FC the lowly team owned by Paulo Maldini that is trying to eclipse Beckham to the MLS..

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
He spent a lot more time with Fulham, more recently, and undoubtably has better memories of being there (including playing in Europe). There is every possibility he would prefer to steer them to safety given no doubt he has stronger feelings of playing for them than us. He'll be guarenteed playing time for them as well and he clearly isn't here.

Will let you into a secret. Well not really a secret. More common sense than anything else. Who he joins will be dependent on the future and not the past.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Will let you into a secret. Well not really a secret. More common sense than anything else. Who he joins will be dependent on the future and not the past.

The wage packet will override the past and the future

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
In an ideal world we will sign a 20 goal striker but other than GM on loan who can we afford? This is not an ideal world.

How do you know we can afford Murray? Bournemouth might want to recoup some of the fee they paid by way of.a loan fee. They wanted 6 figures to loan Kermorgant

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
How do you know we can afford Murray? Bournemouth might want to recoup some of the fee they paid by way of.a loan fee. They wanted 6 figures to loan Kermorgant

am assuming he would chose us over other northern clubs given a choice and living in the town may be prepared to drop his wages slightly. No body knows what Bournemouth will demand as apparently Kermorgnant went for only £500k which for a striker of his pedigree is peanuts in comparison to COG etc.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The wage packet will override the past and the future

Not in this instance.................... He wants a loan deal in this window with a permanent contract guaranteed at the end of it. He has offers from Fulham and Reading for loan deals to the end of the season but none are guaranteeing anything after that which is why he hasn't signed for any of them.

I got this from someone who knows Sidwell but as far as he knew he had not heard about any interest from Brighton but I suppose the Brighton interest is only recent so he wouldn't have done

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I am assuming he would chose us over other northern clubs given a choice and living in the town may be prepared to drop his wages slightly no body knows what Bournemouth will demand as apparently Kermorgnant went for only £500k which for a striker of his pedigree is peanuts in comparison to COG etc.
Indeed. Murray will be happy picking up his Bournemouth wages, and will not be interested at all in playing up North.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
am assuming he would chose us over other northern clubs given a choice and living in the town may be prepared to drop his wages slightly. No body knows what Bournemouth will demand as apparently Kermorgnant went for only £500k which for a striker of his pedigree is peanuts in comparison to COG etc.

Thatd be why Reading went for a permanent deal then as.Bournemouth had spoken of a similar sum for a loan fee.
The difference with Murray is that Bournemouth paid more than 4m for him just months ago. They will want to get back as much as they can.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Thatd be why Reading went for a permanent deal then as.Bournemouth had spoken of a similar sum for a loan fee.
The difference with Murray is that Bournemouth paid more than 4m for him just months ago. They will want to get back as much as they can.

Would they not recoup most of it in the summer by selling him perhaps to a club he was loaned to and did well. for.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here