Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Steve Sidwell signed

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I certainly remember Sidwell playing a dozen games for us on loan back in 2002-03 (OK, had to look up the exact season) but didn't realise or had quite forgotten that he scored an impressive tally of FIVE goals for us in those dozen games :ohmy:

2 v Burnley, 1 v Norwich, 1 v Preston just from memory. Remember that season well!

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Sky Sports reporting that Fulham and Brighton have made "BIDS" for Sidwell.

Fulham's bid must be on a free transfer as they can't pay money for a player under embargo. They look in real danger of being sucked into the relegation battle and have a wages cap for new loan/free signings so I'd hope we can beat them to Sidwell if we really are interested.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
Cant believe sky sports dont look at the story before putting it out and mention fulhams embargo and the restrictions it puts on any 'bid' they make

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not saying it's an either/or, but if we get Sidwell and no striker I'll be very disappointed. I still think we're only a proven goalscorer away from promotion.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I'm not saying it's an either/or, but if we get Sidwell and no striker I'll be very disappointed. I still think we're only a proven goalscorer away from promotion.

But the two aren't mutually exclusive. I doubt we're choosing one or the other. If we get Sidwell and no striker, it may well mean we tried for a striker but one wasn't available but separately got Sidwell to add to the squad.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
But the two aren't mutually exclusive. I doubt we're choosing one or the other. If we get Sidwell and no striker, it may well mean we tried for a striker but one wasn't available but separately got Sidwell to add to the squad.

I appreciate that and that's why I said it's not an either/or.
I suppose what I really meant was at the end of this transfer window when judging how successful it felt to be. What I want most of all is a proven goalscorer as Bobby can't do it all on his own and we don't know what could happen with Wilson.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

My thoughts to a tee. Especially now that we have Knockeart, and LuaLua fit again, to unlock defences, create space, and put pinpoint crosses into the box.

I have been whining on for some time, that if we could just find a striker who could guarantee us 10/12 goals in the remainder of this season, that could make the difference between another season in the Championship, and promotion to the promised land.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
My thoughts to a tee. Especially now that we have Knockeart, and LuaLua fit again, to unlock defences, create space, and put pinpoint crosses into the box.

I have been whining on for some time, that if we could just find a striker who could guarantee us 10/12 goals in the remainder of this season, that could make the difference between another season in the Championship, and promotion to the promised land.

While I'm not disputing we could do with a goal scoring striker (I've always said we need a fitter version of Bobby!) we did get two goals yesterday from our pacy players opening them up. Scorers were two of our strikers. It's something that would boost our chances of automatic promotion rather than being something that will send us rapidly down the table if we don't get it.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
I appreciate that and that's why I said it's not an either/or.
I suppose what I really meant was at the end of this transfer window when judging how successful it felt to be. What I want most of all is a proven goalscorer as Bobby can't do it all on his own and we don't know what could happen with Wilson.

To be honest, I missed the initial part of your post until I replied so I appreciate that. But, I think it is harsh to express disappointment and it is important to distant the two factors.

Yes, I agree we need a striker,although I'm hopeful that Wilson will score a fair amount in the second half of the season and we'll get enough from the rest to keep up. However, I agree adding a signing like Ulloa to this team could make a big difference.

I do think it's harsh to say it's been a disappointing transfer window if we don't sign a striker. I believe in Knockaert, we have one of the best (if not the best) signings of this window in the Championship and, assuming we keep Wilson, he could be a big signing for the rest of the season too.

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Fulham's bid must be on a free transfer as they can't pay money for a player under embargo. They look in real danger of being sucked into the relegation battle and have a wages cap for new loan/free signings so I'd hope we can beat them to Sidwell if we really are interested.

If Sidwell went there it would show he has no ambition whatsoever and also that he is just a money man too of which I believe neither.
Why would you go to Fulham, shit hole ground, crap fan base (all the poor people that can't afford Chelsea prices ) ha ha !! not a chance in hell of being in the PL at all.

He's played for us before, great ground, ambitious boardroom, great club spirit and a good manager ( although i admit i was a bit Hughton out the other week ) for which i profusely apologise to all on here and i would to the mans face if i could.
Any player would be mental to Fulham over Brighton

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
If Sidwell went there it would show he has no ambition whatsoever and also that he is just a money man too of which I believe neither.
Why would you go to Fulham, shit hole ground, crap fan base (all the poor people that can't afford Chelsea prices ) ha ha !! not a chance in hell of being in the PL at all.

He's played for us before, great ground, ambitious boardroom, great club spirit and a good manager ( although i admit i was a bit Hughton out the other week ) for which i profusely apologise to all on here and i would to the mans face if i could.

He was at Fulham longer than us but I agree it is hard to believe he would choose them. Only possible reasons are more chance of first team football at Fulham (although he'd certainly get game time here) and that he wants to go back to Fulham. It is unlikely to be money due to Fulham's embargo.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
To be honest, I missed the initial part of your post until I replied so I appreciate that. But, I think it is harsh to express disappointment and it is important to distant the two factors.

Yes, I agree we need a striker,although I'm hopeful that Wilson will score a fair amount in the second half of the season and we'll get enough from the rest to keep up. However, I agree adding a signing like Ulloa to this team could make a big difference.

I do think it's harsh to say it's been a disappointing transfer window if we don't sign a striker. I believe in Knockaert, we have one of the best (if not the best) signings of this window in the Championship and, assuming we keep Wilson, he could be a big signing for the rest of the season too.

To be fair, Marshy got it spot on for pulling me up for jumping the gun - who knows who we'll have by the end of the window.

You're also spot on by saying Knockaert alone has already made this a good window. I suppose all I'm trying to say, and you're right that this has nothing to do with if we get Sidwell or not, is that I think a striker signing could clinch promotion for us. It really feels that important.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I may be different to most but I believe that we have adequate strikers and if we can improve the service to them they will score goals,. This is why the return of Bong to supply Murphy is essential and cant come soon enough..

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004

He spent a lot more time with Fulham, more recently, and undoubtably has better memories of being there (including playing in Europe). There is every possibility he would prefer to steer them to safety given no doubt he has stronger feelings of playing for them than us. He'll be guarenteed playing time for them as well and he clearly isn't here.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
He was at Fulham longer than us but I agree it is hard to believe he would choose them. Only possible reasons are more chance of first team football at Fulham (although he'd certainly get game time here) and that he wants to go back to Fulham. It is unlikely to be money due to Fulham's embargo.

He was also born in Wandsworth. Not a million miles away from Fulham and he may still have lots of family living just around the corner.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
To be fair, Marshy got it spot on for pulling me up for jumping the gun - who knows who we'll have by the end of the window.

You're also spot on by saying Knockaert alone has already made this a good window. I suppose all I'm trying to say, and you're right that this has nothing to do with if we get Sidwell or not, is that I think a striker signing could clinch promotion for us. It really feels that important.

Agree with that. I think it's been a good transfer window already but signing a quality striker would make it a fantastic transfer window, and possibly be the difference between decent chance of top six and chance to push for top two.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here