Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
As an aside, in case its not yet commented on - in the recent census, Brighton had the second highest (after Sheffield) number of respondents listing JEDI as their religion.

#geeksandproud

Is there a Hipsters rustic lightsabre shop in the North Laine yet?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Hmmm, seems to reinforce the theory that Rey may actually have been a youngling being trained by Luke, and escaped whatever Ren did when he finally went to the dark side (remembering what Anakin did...). So was she previously trained, but perhaps had her mind altered and dropped on a remote planet for her safety? Did Ren trying to open her mind actually unlock those hidden memories, the hidden training perhaps? Who knows, plot holes provide great conjecture.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Hmmm, seems to reinforce the theory that Rey may actually have been a youngling being trained by Luke, and escaped whatever Ren did when he finally went to the dark side (remembering what Anakin did...). So was she previously trained, but perhaps had her mind altered and dropped on a remote planet for her safety? Did Ren trying to open her mind actually unlock those hidden memories, the hidden training perhaps? Who knows, plot holes provide great conjecture.

Another thing the novelisation reveals is that the moment after he kills Han, Kylo Ren feels weaker in the force.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Watched it for the second time yesterday and still love it.
The interaction between Han and Rey is great as are all the little jokes running through it.
Snoke annoyed me less this time probably due to lowered expectations.
Not sure if there's anything in the novel that covers it but when Rey and Finn escape the tie fighters on Jakku why does Finn use the underneath gun turret when there's one on top that would surely offer a better shot?
Ren's is obviously flawed and allows his frustrations and petulance to impede his abilities in situations where he isn't in full control.
Rey, I still like the character. In the lightsaber battle with Ren she starts with poor technique making stabbing, lunge type moves. It's only when Ren reminds her of the force that she fights in a way that beats him, although it may be the dark side / anger that she uses like Luke in ROTJ did to beat Vadar.

Basically, it's great that Star Wars is back and back on track...the only concern is Disney producing so many movies (Rogue One etc) that it dilutes the franchise and makes then next true part of the saga less special.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
In a strange way, I found watching it a second time MORE emotional... perhaps it was knowing what was coming? :cry:

Yes, I'd have to agree with that, took a mate last night to see it who hadn't seen it yet, I found it more emotional knowing what was going to happen, particularly the last scene with Han& Leia.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Also watched it for the 2nd time at the weekend and enjoyed it just as much. Also good to spot and hear things I missed first time round like Yoda speaking in Reys vision, & Daniel Craig (supposedly) being forced by Rey etc. as a Stormtrooper.
Having seen it again I'm convinced Rey is Han & Leia's daughter. When Rey comments on never knowing "there was so much green in the galaxy" as they approach the planet on the Falcon, Han gives her such an apologetic look for a couple of seconds that it really stood out to me - almost as if he had realised who she was & was trying to say "I'm sorry, we had no choice but to leave you for your own safety"...Maybe they could feel that the dark side was strong & dangerous to the family when they had children? Luke & Leia could sense these things, so perhaps they had some sort of foresight of how Ben was strong with the dark side when he was a baby, so moved Rey away, but thought Ben could be trained to turn away from it with Luke's teachings?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep I'll post a quick review in here next Weds, although reading this thread makes me want to go sooner, so we'll see.

Booked my tickets for my second viewing for tomorrow night at Crawley (4DX).
Will be fun!
Review please!

I'd like to see it on a really big screen in 2D, but I have no idea what size the screens are in the different cinemas. The information isn't available online, and you can't find out by calling the cinemas either. Unbelievably poor customer service from these places.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Also watched it for the 2nd time at the weekend and enjoyed it just as much. Also good to spot and hear things I missed first time round like Yoda speaking in Reys vision, & Daniel Craig (supposedly) being forced by Rey etc. as a Stormtrooper.
Having seen it again I'm convinced Rey is Han & Leia's daughter. When Rey comments on never knowing "there was so much green in the galaxy" as they approach the planet on the Falcon, Han gives her such an apologetic look for a couple of seconds that it really stood out to me - almost as if he had realised who she was & was trying to say "I'm sorry, we had no choice but to leave you for your own safety"...Maybe they could feel that the dark side was strong & dangerous to the family when they had children? Luke & Leia could sense these things, so perhaps they had some sort of foresight of how Ben was strong with the dark side when he was a baby, so moved Rey away, but thought Ben could be trained to turn away from it with Luke's teachings?
Agree with this. Not only is Rey a natural with te lightsabre she also seems to be very good at piloting a starship too... Also, Han to come back to life in the third fil owing to Plagueis' (I've accepted the inevitable :D) powers of such things and to be initially dark side for some reason before finding redemption :thumbsup:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
But Han doesn't possess any sort of force empathy though...I don't think he could come back on the dark side.
After hearing Kathleen Kennedy say everyone would be back for the next film, I'm more inclined to think he will be used in flashback scenes?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Review please!

I'd like to see it on a really big screen in 2D, but I have no idea what size the screens are in the different cinemas. The information isn't available online, and you can't find out by calling the cinemas either. Unbelievably poor customer service from these places.

Well, as stated previously, Tuesdays nights 4DX viewing would have been my 2nd Star Wars cinema viewing.
The best way to put this 'review' together would be to do a 'Good Bits/Bad Bits' list with a brief conclusion, so here goes.

Good Bits:
  • New screen, new seats (comfy) with plenty of space either side.
  • Sound effects from the seat-speakers were awesome.
  • The 'pew-pew-pew' from the lasers zip over your shoulders as sudden bursts of air accompany them.
  • The seat movement during the TIE Fighter flight scene is incredible.
  • There are 2 small massagers(?) just below your shoulder blades on the seat, these thump you right in the back at certain parts of the film (twice) which is very fitting.

Bad Bits:
  • Normal/standard cinema screen and sound.
  • Chairs moved way too much that it became irritating from about 30 minutes.
  • 2 out of the 3 smells were rough, one was pretty rancid.
  • Difficult to concentrate on the film, especially the dialogue with all this machinery moving about and air being sprayed about.

Conclusion:
I'm glad I've seen a film in 4DX, and I think this was the best film in which to experience it.
However, IMAX and 4DX are the same price and are shown at the same cinema, I'll be going to IMAX every time now as the screen is twice the size and the sound is much better.

I would definitely have enjoyed my second viewing of TFA if I had seen it in IMAX.
I think 4DX is best suited as a 10 minute ride/show at a theme park, it gets irritating after half an hour or so.

If you want the best experience, either go up to the Science Museum to watch it in proper 2D IMAX, if not, Crawley has one of the biggest IMAX screens in the country (top 5).

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011

Nah. I can't think of any reason why Leia wouldn't have told her especially after the Han dies.

I think it's more likely she is Lukes daughter. Especially as her story so far mirrors his.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I find some of the predictions to be completely weird, so I'm going to join in with them.

In a future episode we will find out that Plagueis is actually a goodie. He found a way to capture souls from those who die, and place them back into their newly made bodies. He has created a very peaceful world out of harms way and he has saved everyone who has died in any previous episode (including all those who dies on Alderaan and the recently destroyed planets) and moved them to his new world which is like paradise.

There. No one is dead. Happy now?

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Nah. I can't think of any reason why Leia wouldn't have told her especially after the Han dies.

I think it's more likely she is Lukes daughter. Especially as her story so far mirrors his.

Definitely got to be Luke's daughter.
They'll want to incorporate a lot of time in the next film dedicated to a father-daughter story line which wouldn't be possible if Han was the Dad.

Can we get Jeremy in for those all important DNA results?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I think that Stormtroopers are seriously outdated now. they really aren't very menacing and go down in firefight dead easily. Plastic "armour" really isn't working plus they stand out like sore thumbs on the ground and are easily picked off by blasters. Maybe the Empire/First Order need a Kami version or they are rapidly going to run out of grunts.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Thanks Stoneham.
However, IMAX and 4DX are the same price and are shown at the same cinema, I'll be going to IMAX every time now as the screen is twice the size and the sound is much better.

I would definitely have enjoyed my second viewing of TFA if I had seen it in IMAX.
You mean Crawley IMAX 3D, with glasses?

If you want the best experience, either go up to the Science Museum to watch it in proper 2D IMAX
Oh, I didn't realise it was at the Science Museum. Sounds good.

if not, Crawley has one of the biggest IMAX screens in the country (top 5).
Yeah, I'm just worried about the 3D (partly concerned for big glasses on my children's small faces).

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
Having seen it again I'm convinced Rey is Han & Leia's daughter. When Rey comments on never knowing "there was so much green in the galaxy" as they approach the planet on the Falcon, Han gives her such an apologetic look for a couple of seconds that it really stood out to me - almost as if he had realised who she was & was trying to say "I'm sorry, we had no choice but to leave you for your own safety"...

Also saw it for the 2nd time last weekend, I still don't think she is han & leia's child. They might have known her, especially if she is a relation, hence the looks, but I don't think they are her parents - why would they be so concerned about Kylo Ren when their other, much nicer and less angsty, child comes back? I personally think she is a Kenobi ;)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here