Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Just catching up here:Already covered - no different to Luke really.
Firstly, she doesn't fly like one of the best pilots, she just manages to defeat two Tie Fighters. Secondly, just because they don't go into detail about why she can fly, doesn't mean she can't. She's obviously flown a fair bit in the past - I can't see the problem.
Luke had never seen one, and his first attempt is deflecting blasters blindfolded. At least with Rey her weapon of choice was already a melee weapon, so using a light sabre isn't going to be such a leap (as it would have been for Luke).

Not forgetting Luke was a bit of a wimpy farm hand. He gets beaten up by sand people, beaten up in the bar, he's never been in a fight in his life. Rey on the other hand has clearly had to fight for every bit of food she's ever eaten. She's streetwise, is respected, and can handle herself - she already has fighting skills. I agree also, it is clearly implied she knows how to fly stuff. I don't need 20mins background of her doing it. She already has a staff like weapon of choice, so she can already handle a sword like weapon. The leaps are there, I don't deny it, but they're not laughable or comical as someone is suggesting.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
You mean just after he's had his arse handed too him?

Think that kind of proves the point. Luke got beat up and needed rescuing by others quite a bit early on.

Rey just breezes through without a single bit of training being able to do and control pretty much everything she has to without a problem. That's why it's laughable.

No, you missed the point completely. :ffsparr:

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Has Max Landis not tweeted enough for you to go any further? ???

I think that's the problem. When your source material runs out (and you've watched his 7 minute video) it leaves you with a weak position if people challenge you.

A Max Landis wannabee?

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
well this has ruined it for me George-Osborne-star-wars-main.jpg

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
On Rey's first attempts to take on Ren, he easily deflected her blaster shots, froze her with the flick of a wrist, and captured her, taking her off in his ship.

He (without knowing) then starts showing her how to use the force. Even then, her first action in the fight is to be flung into a tree and rendered unconscious. Then an unfocused, injured Ren toys with her, trying to take her alive to his master Snoke. Rey starts to fight back after he has reminded her about the force (recalling, both Obi Wan reminding Luke to use the force in the finale of New hope) and she use her anger at Ren killing Solo to rage fight Ren (recalling Luke v Vader 2 - Luke didn't beat him with the skill and technique Yoda taught him, he used his anger).

It's not quite the first fight, completely out fights him that some people present.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
On Rey's first attempts to take on Ren, he easily deflected her blaster shots, froze her with the flick of a wrist, and captured her, taking her off in his ship.

He (without knowing) then starts showing her how to use the force. Even then, her first action in the fight is to be flung into a tree and rendered unconscious. Then an unfocused, injured Ren toys with her, trying to take her alive to his master Snoke. Rey starts to fight back after he has reminded her about the force (recalling, both Obi Wan reminding Luke to use the force in the finale of New hope) and she use her anger at Ren killing Solo to rage fight Ren (recalling Luke v Vader 2 - Luke didn't beat him with the skill and technique Yoda taught him, he used his anger).

It's not quite the first fight, completely out fights him that some people present.

Yep exactly.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

That's what I said. And I managed to say it with even more words!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I don't find her credible at all given she's just been inserted into the world and is already taking on and beating powerful forces all by her self. I find her rapid development nothing but comical, thus zero connection with the character.
what-the-f-tom-delonge.gif

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Yes what the **** indeed Boomer. All the fan bois marking out on Rey is fun to watch.

Y'know, comments like that make you sound like you have no interest in discussing the points, you just want to come into a thread where people are enjoying something and piss all over it to upset them, like the people who post in every Dr Who thread "why do people watch that crap, it's for kids" or in every wrestling thread "it's all fake, you know!"

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Y'know, comments like that make you sound like you have no interest in discussing the points, you just want to come into a thread where people are enjoying something and piss all over it to upset them, like the people who post in every Dr Who thread "why do people watch that crap, it's for kids" or in every wrestling thread "it's all fake, you know!"

Right, so you only want sycophants in these types of threads. Why didn't you say so?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Right, so you only want sycophants in these types of threads. Why didn't you say so?

I'm fine with discussions and disagreement. But "All the fan bois marking out on Rey is fun to watch" isn't about discussion or disagreement. It's making fun of people who have a different opinion, which is more in line with trolling than it is with discourse.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I'm fine with discussions and disagreement. But "All the fan bois marking out on Rey is fun to watch" isn't about discussion or disagreement. It's making fun of people who have a different opinion, which is more in line with trolling than it is with discourse.

To be fair, I'd be happy for him to not contribute anymore ???

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
What is 'marking out'?

The term 'mark' was old timey speak for a person who could be duped by conmen, or carnival folk. Pro-wrestling came out of carnivals, and a lot of that language came with it, and the term was used to describe fans who didn't realise wrestling was more of a show than a genuine sporting contest. A popular term in wrestling now is 'marking out' which basically means you forget all the politics and just enjoy and celebrate whatever it is you are marking out over (a whole show, one match, one storyline moment, etc). The term has also spread out from wrestling to popular culture to mean the similar thing. Basically you are enjoying it as a fan. The term is often used perjoratively to indicate someone being blinded by their fandom to the flaws of whatever they are enjoying.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The term 'mark' was old timey speak for a person who could be duped by conmen, or carnival folk. Pro-wrestling came out of carnivals, and a lot of that language came with it, and the term was used to describe fans who didn't realise wrestling was more of a show than a genuine sporting contest. A popular term in wrestling now is 'marking out' which basically means you forget all the politics and just enjoy and celebrate whatever it is you are marking out over (a whole show, one match, one storyline moment, etc). The term has also spread out from wrestling to popular culture to mean the similar thing. Basically you are enjoying it as a fan. The term is often used perjoratively to indicate someone being blinded by their fandom to the flaws of whatever they are enjoying.

Like we are - apparently

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

Cheers. I genuinely hadn't heard that before.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
As an aside, in case its not yet commented on - in the recent census, Brighton had the second highest (after Sheffield) number of respondents listing JEDI as their religion.

#geeksandproud

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here