Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - with Spoilers - discussion thread

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Cause its an easy cheap plot line.
It's not about whether or not it's easy, it would make sense for Luke to have a child. Why wouldn't he? Most people do.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I went to see it a second time today. Some more observations:

Maz Kanata, when talking to Rey, trying to convince her to not dwell on the past and instead to look to the future to find the questions she seeks said: "Your family is not coming for you, but there is one who might" Is the one who might Luke, and if so, would that not be evidence in the 'against' column in the discussion of whether she is related?

Rey was a young girl when she was left on Jakku, it's possible if Han knew her (whether as a daughter, niece, or one of those kids that was training with his son), he didn't recognise her. His offering her the job came immediately after she told him her name, and so might have been a response of it finally clicking.

Han's first interaction with Leia comes before she meets Rey (her first interaction with Rey is the Wookie-ignoring hug at the end). Han's first interaction with Leia is to tell her that he saw their son. There is an brief ominous stare between them, then it cuts to Fin discovering Poe Dameron is still alive. Poe takes Fin to Leia and she mentions Han told her about the girl. Rey was living anonymously on Jakku for a reason, so whether Leia knew her (whether as a daughter, niece, or one of those kids that was training with her son), she wouldn't necessarily openly admit it in front of everyone.

I read an article that suggested the scene in the vision Rey has when she touches the light sabre where the Knights of Ren surround her on a rainy battlefield was an indication he was involved in her going on the run. I'm wondering if it is a prediction - a vision of something yet to pass.

I'm also wondering, given she has a staff, if Rey will end up with a double ended lightsabre.

The, rather talkative, person next to me at the end said to her kids "he didn't take the light sabre". I thought that was an odd response. On reflection, she does stand there holding it out for a very long time. How are we supposed to take it - does he think she's offering a soldier his weapon to join the battle and is reluctant to re-join the fight? Is it meant to be a sign of ID, proof that she should train him and he's reluctant to trust her? Has he lost faith in his training abilities after failing with Ben?

A bit was made a few days ago over the fact that vision included Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness's voices - why? If it's a skywalker lightsabre, why is Obi-Wan calling to Rey?

I don't recall if I've praised the shot in this thread, but I loved it so much, I don't mind praising it again - The long shot of inside the shield generator thing with Fin and Rey on the balcony, a ray of light shining on the bridge as Han approaches his son. Wonderful. (I also liked the shot of Fin watching Poe shoot down tie fighters over Takodana)

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
What's not palatable about her being Luke's daughter? Why shouldn't he have had a child?

Cause its an easy cheap plot line.

What [MENTION=24838]Bladders[/MENTION] said - nothing to do with the inherent capabilities of Luke having a daughter, it's just so lazily predictable. I think the series deserves better than another plot retread.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
What @Bladders said - nothing to do with the inherent capabilities of Luke having a daughter, it's just so lazily predictable.
So first and foremost you want it to be unpredictable, rather than for it to be believable and make sense?
I think the series deserves better than another plot retread.
The series has never had a parent teaching their child.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Ok. I've seen it now. Loved every second of it.

The Kylo Ren story arc looks brilliant to me. The death of Han Solo was not what I was expecting at all. No cold blooded murder by a heartless baddie, but a reconciliation between father and son.

Kylo Ren is Being torn apart by the light and dark sides of the force. "Will you help me?".
Father and Son's hands on the light sabre when it was ignited.
Did Han help His son fully join the dark side?
If so why?

Magnificent stuff.
When's the next one out?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Rey must be the chosen one to bring balance to the force as mentioned in the phantom menace when qui gon thought it was Anakin. No doubt she has a high medichlorin content.

Parentage TBA

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
This is the bit that got me the most. I could kind of see it coming on that platform, but honestly didn't think it would ACTUALLY happen.

Seeing one of my favourite film characters not go out in a blaze of glory, but murdered in cold blood by his son, and then watching his lifeless body just fall into that mist. Then seeing Chewy go ballistic.

A very powerful scene.

Indeed I suspected this would be Hans last outing. To be fair Harrison got his wish as its well documented he wanted to be killed off in Return of the Jedi (well even Empire and stay dead) but Lucas said "that wont sell many action figures"

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
I

A bit was made a few days ago over the fact that vision included Ewan McGregor and Alec Guiness's voices - why? If it's a skywalker lightsabre, why is Obi-Wan calling to Rey?

The same reason Yoda's voice is in in the film (though I didn't hear it) it's because, like Yoda, obi-wan would have detected a new strong connection with the force.

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
They didn't say anything about that in the film, there's no reason to think it would be different.
That can't be right, as Yoda said to Obi-wan that he'd teach him how to communicate with Qui-Gon while Obi-Wan is on Tatooine - and Yoda wasn't on Tatooine when Qui-Gon got in touch.

He's only appeared once and it was in the TV show.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
When's the next one out?

Star Wars Anthology: Rogue One is out next Christmas, Star Wars Episode VIII is out in a year and a half-ish.

Also Jedi are celibate right?

They are meant to be, but Anakin didn't follow that when there was still a Jedi council. Luke was starting afresh and could make his own own rules, to a degree, and may have felt that enforced celibacy was not necessary.

The same reason Yoda's voice is in in the film (though I didn't hear it) it's because, like Yoda, obi-wan would have detected a new strong connection with the force.

Yes, I forgot about Yoda's voice, too while posting. But my point is, does them appearing suggest the light sabre calling to her is more about the force, than about the Skywalker lineage?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
I watched unfit the second time the other day and I'm pretty convinced Rea is not Luke's daughter. Just too obvious, so think there will be a twist.

And didn't hear Yoda's voice. When was this?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched unfit the second time the other day and I'm pretty convinced Rea is not Luke's daughter. Just too obvious, so think there will be a twist.

And didn't hear Yoda's voice. When was this?

When she first touches the light sabre and has the vision where Luke touches R2D2, and she is on a rainy field and surrounded by the Knights of Ren.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here