Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stand or fall

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Exactly. As a phrase, it's no more inspiring than 'Win or Lose.'

Don't agree. In this instance, to "fall" means to die. It's saying I'm willing to do what it takes for Sussex, live or die.

Davey Boy Smith

Jul 5, 2003
Don't agree. In this instance, to "fall" means to die. It's saying I'm willing to do what it takes for Sussex, live or die.

This. Doesn't get more emotive then this. Might appear that some have forgotten it was originally the Regimental song adopted by the Royal Sussex Regiment...

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
Help yourself if you need a different shape...

View attachment 30098

I absolutely love that! I want that on a t-shirt now! And i agree, the stand or fall statement is about fighting for and possibly giving your life to, Sussex. As pointed out above its a Regimental March.

Oh and i would throw some wonga into the stand or fall banner if need be.

Last edited:

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Sounds very good and positive, What are the four designs? has the wording stand or fall been decided on or I that also part of the poll?

I've seen three off them, they all contain Stand or Fall but have other little details i.e a seagulls or -For Sussex by the Sea- underneath etc. There was progress even as of Saturday with the club saying the size will need to change to the originally planned etc so were really just dotting the I's and crossing the T's and bringing it all together.

When it is done a thread will be posted updating everyone fully, And posting the four suggestions for a vote and asking for donations keeping a running total of monies rasied my be an idea too. I need to check but I've a feeling one of the mods will be collecting the money so hopefully people will know their donations will be going to the correct place.

LukeOwen

Jun 7, 2011
Hampshire
I've seen three off them, they all contain Stand or Fall but have other little details i.e a seagulls or -For Sussex by the Sea- underneath etc. There was progress even as of Saturday with the club saying the size will need to change to the originally planned etc so were really just dotting the I's and crossing the T's and bringing it all together.

When it is done a thread will be posted updating everyone fully, And posting the four suggestions for a vote and asking for donations keeping a running total of monies rasied my be an idea too. I need to check but I've a feeling one of the mods will be collecting the money so hopefully people will know their donations will be going to the correct place.

How much money needs to be raised?,roughly.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
How much money needs to be raised?,roughly.

With the changes in size we will need to get new quotes, I can't remember right now but off the top of my head I think it was circa £500 got the quotes some time ago. We looked at changing the material to slightly heavier but considerably cheaper price, The club/printers have said it will still be light enough to be hung easy enough. It is obviously weather proof and should only need to be taken down once or twice a year for maintenance etc.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton

Its a great idea but not keen on stand or fall, hope it will go to a vote, if so will the vote go beyond NSC?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
This. Doesn't get more emotive then this. Might appear that some have forgotten it was originally the Regimental song adopted by the Royal Sussex Regiment...

I get that the phrase has a genuine relevance to Sussex. I think the problem is that the reference is too obscure to be meaningful to enough fans. It especially won't emotionally connect with younger fans.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Both my children 8 and 4 are fully aware of Sussex by the Sea and have a basic idea of the words and where it comes from, other clubs have songs/slogans etc unique to them and it is seen as a great statement why not us? As long as we and the team are aware of the meaning who gives a damn if other teams don't - it's ours and something that identifies us as different.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Its a great idea but not keen on stand or fall, hope it will go to a vote, if so will the vote go beyond NSC?

Stand or fall is in all the designs, A thread on here a while back suggested it and many wanted it but nothing happened for a long time so in the end some of the NSK and I took the idea and ran with it getting it all organised we thought giving a few different variations on the theme would be good.

If enough don't like Stand or fall we can easily put in an other bit on the post and if an idea comes up enough we can go with that.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
While there are exceptions, as pointed out above, most people's total knowledge of the lyrics of 'Sussex By The Sea' is:

"Good old Sussex by the sea,
Good old Sussex by the sea
Oh we're going up
And we'll win the cup
For Sussex by the sea"

(And that's being generous, given the number who get the second from last line of this modern version incorrect).

Any successful banner message that was based on Sussex By The Sea (not saying that it has to be based on that) has to work with people as they are, rather than how we want them to be.

Last edited:

LukeOwen

Jun 7, 2011
Hampshire
Stand or fall is in all the designs, A thread on here a while back suggested it and many wanted it but nothing happened for a long time so in the end some of the NSK and I took the idea and ran with it getting it all organised we thought giving a few different variations on the theme would be good.

If enough don't like Stand or fall we can easily put in an other bit on the post and if an idea comes up enough we can go with that.

Keep stand or fall :thumbsup:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Any successful banner message that was based on Sussex By The Sea (not saying that it has to be based on that) has to work with people as they are, rather than how we want them to be.
Defeatist. This "Stand or Fall" banner will be a useful step in the right direction towards the long overdue repositioning of SBTS as a proper club anthem that fully reflects the magnificent tradition of the marching song and our brave ancestors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K43TzRz16xI&feature=related

The Terminator

Aug 7, 2010
Personally I think you should keep stand or fall, would make a few people look up the significance of the Phrase and this could possibly help get SBTS going in full.

British Grenadier

I hate P*rtsm**th
Jan 15, 2012
Hanover
I do think that the words to Sussex by the sea should be displayed on the concourses, so that people who don't know the words can learn them before the game (pint of Harveys not mandatory).

There is also a link to the lyrics in my footer / signature.

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Keep stand or fall :thumbsup:

Will be no harm in sticking a other option to see how much interest there is. As I said although the NSK are getting it sorted it's not 'our' thing it is a NSC idea and it's upto NSC to decide as a whole.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here