Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Patrick day why so much fuss in this country about it

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
The fact a drink selling company with a slick marketing campaign can be a driving force behind a national day, sums up nationalism to me. A superficial sentiment that’s easily manipulated.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I've never been into St Patrick's day, but then again I'm not a big drinker, so I'm not prime material for the occasion. I don't really like any of these imported celebrations like Hallow'een etc. But if it gets friends together and people have fun, that's a good thing i suppose.

Halloween is another entity that has been stolen by the yanks and sold back to us in a different form.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
St. Patrick's Day is associated with light-heartedness and getting drunk. St. George's Day has been hijacked by knuckle-dragging bellends trying to package racism and intolerance up as 'patriotism'.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
St. Patrick's Day is associated with light-heartedness and getting drunk. St. George's Day has been hijacked by knuckle-dragging bellends trying to package racism and intolerance up as 'patriotism'.

Oh dear. More likely that our day has been slated by people like you that believe it is "intolerant" to celebrate our national day the same as the Irish, Welsh, Scottish etc.
If you can bear to celebrate our national day, just have a cream sherry at home like many of the "bellends" you describe do.

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
Oh dear. More likely that our day has been slated by people like you that believe it is "intolerant" to celebrate our national day the same as the Irish, Welsh, Scottish etc.
If you can bear to celebrate our national day, just have a cream sherry at home like many of the "bellends" you describe do.

You miss my point. I would like nothing better than to celebrate our national day in the same way that the Welsh, Scottish and Irish do. But, many others take the opportunity use the day for pushing their racist agendas. That is no way celebrating our day.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
You miss my point. I would like nothing better than to celebrate our national day in the same way that the Welsh, Scottish and Irish do. But, many others take the opportunity use the day for pushing their racist agendas. That is no way celebrating our day.

I did not miss your point, who is stopping you celebrating it?....get together with a few friends (that are not "knuckle draggers" or bellends as you like to call those that do celebrate it) and enjoy yourselves.
Just do it and don't worry about those nasty people.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I did not miss your point, who is stopping you celebrating it?....get together with a few friends (that are not "knuckle draggers" or bellends as you like to call those that do celebrate it) and enjoy yourselves.

I see his point as I celebrate EU Day every May....and the amount of abuse I get on here every year is unbelievable. All I want to do is drink a coffee in a square and feel mildly superior.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003

He clearly did not call those that celebrate it 'knuckle draggers' and 'bellends'. He merely pointed out that some who do, take the opportunity to pursue their agendas. Much like you are repeatedly misinterpreting his point to further yours.

However i do agree with your point about celebrating St Georges day. So often people on here are moaning that they are not allowed to celebrate it like they need permission or something. If people want to celebrate a day then host a party or get some friends together and do it. It really isn't difficult. People seen to think that a celebration doesn't count unless it is sponsored and publicised by some massive entity like Guinness or Hallmark cards.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
As far as I'm aware we've never celebrated St George's Day in this country. When I were a lad in the 60's living in Angmering village I can remember May Day being
a big celebration but we never bothered with St George's.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
He clearly did not call those that celebrate it 'knuckle draggers' and 'bellends'. He merely pointed out that some who do, take the opportunity to pursue their agendas. Much like you are repeatedly misinterpreting his point to further yours.

Soulman's contribution to NSC in a nutshell there.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Actually its because a great many of the political agitators fled to America and they fostered a culture of never forgetting where they came from and what they lost. That's why great amounts of money still came from the US to fund Irish Republican resistence even into the 80's.

Never could work that one out.....The Southern Irish did everything they could to help Nazi Germany by offering them safe haven and an easier opportunity to attack American shipping in the Atlantic and yet, only a few years later, the Yanks are shovelling money at their cause as if its going out of fashion.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I see his point as I celebrate EU Day every May....and the amount of abuse I get on here every year is unbelievable. All I want to do is drink a coffee in a square and feel mildly superior.

Merkels dad used to sit around drinking coffee feeling mildly superior as well.

16191885535968183716.jpg

He, like you was very pro an undemocratic Union of European countries as well.
Are you related?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here