Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Patrick day why so much fuss in this country about it

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
and some believe he went to the USA and hey presto mormons........funny old world

Yes, but coming to these shores was a possibility, given trade routes and so on. The US is stretching it a bit..... and that is a deliberate understatement.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Nothing do do with Americans? History isn't a strong point?

No more than a lot of other nationalities.

Mexico? Puerto Rico? England? I don't see everyone taking whole days of work when it's their national days and going out getting shitfaced.

Sure Ireland has contributed to the modern US but so have a hell of a lot of other countries

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
You should celebrate St Patrick, he was a true Briton.

St George never even set foot on Briton soil. Maybe thats the issue.

i think , as usual , when trying to communicate with the locals , that i was actually accentuating that point rather than refuting it ,so here we have another pointless communication breakdown which will cause me to go and smoke shit loads of weed and then come back and try again.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
quite possibly....the whole paddy's day thing is driven by guinness and the irish pub industry , however there is nothing wrong with having a day of celebrations to remember your heritage in my opinion , unless you are English of course........welsh , scots , irish , swedes , latvians , eritreans , fins......etc etc etc are all perfectly free to celebrate their heritage but not us......why is that ....apathy....??

Um... everyone in England IS free to celebrate their country's patron saint's day.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
but they dont....do they...?

That's a separate point to the one you made.

Besides, many places in England do celebrate St George's Day. It's just the Morris dancing seems to have a greater degree of awkward social embarrassment compared to those silly Irish hat things.

It's just not done on the same scale as St Patrick's Day, principally down to a better marketing campaign from the likes of Guinness.

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Probably because of the large amount of folk around you with Irish heritage and the fact that st pat was actually irish , unlike st George who was apparently from the Mediterranean ....???

St. Pat was from the mainland, probably where england is now.

Last edited:

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
St Patrick was Romano-British.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
It's just not done on the same scale as St Patrick's Day, principally down to a better marketing campaign from the likes of Guinness.

Exactly. Bombadier gave it a go with Rik Mayall RIP but essentially its a way for Guinness to flog a few more pints.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I've never been into St Patrick's day, but then again I'm not a big drinker, so I'm not prime material for the occasion. I don't really like any of these imported celebrations like Hallow'een etc. But if it gets friends together and people have fun, that's a good thing i suppose.

Canfan

Nov 8, 2014
Beyond Hope
Here in Canada, I went to my local pub after work yesterday. It was packed. I was given a tacky green glittery bowler hat, a green lei and forced to listen to corny recorded Irish music (the scheduled Irish band unexpectedly cancelled 2 hours earlier). The Irish Stew and Lamburger food specials ran out early so I had no alternative but to down free green jello shooters and drink copious amounts of green beer without eating anything. Now, this morning I have a raging hangover, my skin appears to be a nasty shade of green and so is the colour of my pee. I think I had a good time though so St. Patrick's Day can't be all bad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here