Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

St Patrick day why so much fuss in this country about it

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Ah yes that good old Irish company Guinness, except they are Anglo Irish proddys, and Guinness is registered as a company in London. Great tradition.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
You think its bad here, try spending St. Patrick's in Australia. The hype around it in nauseating in places...

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You think its bad here, try spending St. Patrick's in Australia. The hype around it in nauseating in places...

Not as bad as Australia Day....... although that does have the JJ Hottest One Hundred which is its saving grace.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I was born in England, but my father was Irish/American and my mother was Welsh/Indian.
I've got an Irish surname as well, so always have a pint of Guinness to the memory of dear old gramps on Paddy's day.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
It's all about human need for identity,same as our tribal allegiance to football, just on a nationalistic scale. That's why Americans cling to it if their ancestors were from Ireland. Plus humans like to party and throw in some alcohol and...that's why it's popular. Ow and then there's Catholicism which until the last 15years had an almost Islamic like grip on Ireland unlike any other European country. Nothing wrong with, many English loath St Pats day and other 'tribal' celebrations like it out of jealousy inc it seems a few on here. Bah humbug! I actually think it's a very English thing to do nicking another culture's culture and making it our own. Tis how we ruled the world once!!

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
That's why Americans cling to it if their ancestors were from Ireland.

Actually its because a great many of the political agitators fled to America and they fostered a culture of never forgetting where they came from and what they lost. That's why great amounts of money still came from the US to fund Irish Republican resistence even into the 80's.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
You should see what it's like in New York. Makes the Uk look like a village party.

The most ridiculous over the top celebration for something which is nothing to do with Americans. Virtually every pub had special booze offers, people take the afternoon off to get pissed. Everyone wears green.......

The US has a weird obsession with the Irish. Looking at the huge march past St Patrick's cathedral, you'd think every single member of the NYPD was from Dublin.

Definitely the best day to commit a crime in NYC.

Nothing do do with Americans? History isn't a strong point?

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Imagine the up roar in Ireland if St Georges day was given this much exposure there would be riots

No, there wouldn't.

St Georges Day isn't celebrated to any great extent in England as it stands but if it was, I would expect the English diaspora (US, Australia, Canada etc) to celebrate it also.

In the US, the national holidays of any grouping with a large number of expats and wannabe second/third/eleventeenth generations there are celebrated fairly heavily - Cinco de Mayo in Vegas is absolute insanity for one.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Actually its because a great many of the political agitators fled to America and they fostered a culture of never forgetting where they came from and what they lost. That's why great amounts of money still came from the US to fund Irish Republican resistence even into the 80's.

And why did they do that? And what about the Italian-Americans? Poles? Armenians? Hispanics? I think you'll find it's because of a deeper basic human instinct as I said.

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
No, there wouldn't.

St Georges Day isn't celebrated to any great extent in England as it stands but if it was, I would expect the English diaspora (US, Australia, Canada etc) to celebrate it also.

In the US, the national holidays of any grouping with a large number of expats and wannabe second/third/eleventeenth generations there are celebrated fairly heavily - Cinco de Mayo in Vegas is absolute insanity for one.

The other countries you ve mentioned propbably would celebrate st georges day but I could never see ireland giving out st georges red and white hats and decking the pubs out in the red white and blue of this country are you insane.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
But there are those who believe Jesus did! As per the words of Jerusalem - and did those feet in ancient times etc etc. I think the favourite is that he went to Glastonbury - probably for an early festival.

and some believe he went to the USA and hey presto mormons........funny old world

Jesus is everywhere, so is his Dad.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
The other countries you ve mentioned propbably would celebrate st georges day but I could never see ireland giving out st georges red and white hats and decking the pubs out in the red white and blue of this country are you insane.

You're the one making judgements from hundreds of miles away on this, not me. I suspect you'd have been in the camp of "they'll be throwing eggs at the Queen if she visits" a few years ago, though.

Start celebrating it to some major extent and get a huge company on board to provide free tat branded with their name on top of the flag and see what happens if you want to.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here