Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Spurs game postponed (CONFIRMED 09/12/2021)

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Looking for positives ,as GPwould say. At least we don’t need to play with so many of our own injuries, and we don’t want our players to catch covid off the disease ridden Spuds…. Do we ?

As our squad supposedly has one of the lowest vaccine uptakes in the PL we definitely don’t want them catching it.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Players or coaches? People covers both.

Nonetheless you would have been facing us with a likely change to a back 4 that featured Roberts and Burn as the CBs with no cover and no Lallana, no Welbeck, probably no Trossard and lots of other players being nursed back.

Had the CV19 outbreak not happened and we tried to postpone because we effectively had no defence I can't see that going down well at WHL or with the Premier League.

So all you have to do now is have a few cases and get everyone else to isolate and you can dictate the fixture list. We could see the PL season finish in June and the next one start in July at this rate.

I agree, I agreed last season but the PL cancelled games and didn’t put rules in place with limits.

If Fulham and Villa were forced to play us with less cases Levy wouldn’t have had a case to go to the league with.

It seems A potential cause of the outbreak was Toney during the Brentford game - If one of Spurs donkeys infected half the Brighton squad I’m sure most wouldn’t be happy.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Players or coaches? People covers both.

Nonetheless you would have been facing us with a likely change to a back 4 that featured Roberts and Burn as the CBs with no cover and no Lallana, no Welbeck, probably no Trossard and lots of other players being nursed back.

Had the CV19 outbreak not happened and we tried to postpone because we effectively had no defence I can't see that going down well at WHL or with the Premier League.

So all you have to do now is have a few cases and get everyone else to isolate and you can dictate the fixture list. We could see the PL season finish in June and the next one start in July at this rate[/I].

This I agree with. An extended season is likely.

Spurs saw which way the omicron wind was blowing and worked out that lots of other clubs are going to have multiple covid cases in the coming months. There simply won't be a way to get all the fixtures played in the time limit and the authorities will have no choice but to extend the season. Their fixture pile up won't be worse than everyone else's. They did the sensible (but utterly cynical) thing, by crying until the coming fixtures were taken out

This is going to feed into bumfights with FIFA and UEFA who are going to want breaks to protect the integrity of their competitions

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

Spurs saw which way the omicron wind was blowing and worked out that lots of other clubs are going to have multiple covid cases in the coming months. There simply won't be a way to get all the fixtures played in the time limit and the authorities will have no choice but to extend the season. Their fixture pile up won't be worse than everyone else's. They did the sensible (but utterly cynical) thing, by crying until the coming fixtures were taken out

This is going to feed into bumfights with FIFA and UEFA who are going to want breaks to protect the integrity of their competitions

There are no midweek fixtures as far as I can see in the Premier League after 1st Jan. There is plenty of room for rearranged games.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Was looking like my last home game of the year however just been advised our Xmas Work get together has been cancelled next Wednesday so instead I will be spending it with a few more people at the Amex, oh well!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

Ooerr, I won't be watching that. :eek:

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Reading this thread it makes it sound like this is a deliberate money making ploy by the club, who have been silently praying for just such a situation to arise , so that they can grab a couple of extra quid, rather than a situation born out of circumstance., which will cost the club many tens of thousands of £s due to the late calling off of the game

There is also a belief that its very simple to alter a ticketing system to do something it isn't designed to do, and to do that overnight. What people think IT can do "easily", and what it can actually do are miles apart. To rewrite the code to enable the exchange to revert tickets back to original owners simply would not have been written into the program. Its not a case of just clicking on a button and all is well. Anyone who has worked with IT systems that have had a quick minor update will have experienced that awful feeling of "oh ****-now its completely screwed". Simple fixes rarely are simple

The club do not get everything right, but some people on here seem to think that they are out to get us at every available opportunity and there is a department specifically looking to cheat, swindle, aggravate and discourage anyone from attending at every opportunity

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
There are no midweek fixtures as far as I can see in the Premier League after 1st Jan. There is plenty of room for rearranged games.

There really isn't as much space for rearranged fixtures as you might think. Although there are no Premier League mid week matches scheduled there is plenty of other things going on which limits what dates are available for some clubs.

Here is the current schedule between now and the end of the season.

Jan 4-5-6 League Cup Semi Finals Leg 1
Jan 11-12-13 League Cup Semi Finals Leg 2
Jan 18-19-20 FA Cup 3rd Round Replays
Jan 25-26-27 International Break (no Uefa games scheduled so is acting as a mid season break for players from Europe, clubs still have to release non European players)
Feb 1-2-3 International Break
Feb 8-9-10
Feb 15-16-17 FA Cup 4th Round Replays/European Week
Feb 22-23-24 European Week
Mar 1-2-3 FA Cup 5th Round
Mar 8-9-10 European Week
Mar 15-16-17 European Week
Mar 22-23-24 International Break
Mar 29-30-31 International Break
Apr 5-6-7 European Week
Apr 12-13-14 European Week
Apr 19-20-21
Apr 26-27-28 European Week
May 3-4-5 European Week
May 10-11-12
May 17-18-19

We only have 4 weeks where there is no mid-week football scheduled. There is some rule that also stops domestic league games taking place within 50km of a Champions League game (pretty certain this covers the Europa League and Conference League too), which will further complicate things for some clubs. Obviously any game that needs to be re-arranged at the Amex isn't going to be a problem for that rule, but we currently have to fit in both Chelsea and Spurs, one of whom, at least, is still involved in European competition.

There is huge potential for a backlog to fixtures to really cause a mess.

D

Deleted member 2719

As our squad supposedly has one of the lowest vaccine uptakes in the PL we definitely don’t want them catching it.

Is it just me, I am extremely disappointed with those that have not be vaccinated. Is it to do with religion or Is it I don t give a sh*t

Any other reasons?
So disappointed in this attitude from our lads.:nono:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Is it just me, I am extremely disappointed with those that have not be vaccinated. Is it to do with religion or Is it I don t give a sh*t

Any other reasons?

No, if this is the case it is very disappointing. Not sure religion is a likely reason given that no religion I am aware of is teaching against vaccination. But is it actually even true, though? A person's vaccination status is not a publicly available bit of info.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Any other reasons?

If the reports are true I share your disappointment. In a team sport not having the vaccine is a selfish thing that could affect your teammates

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013

Any other reasons?
Take up in Brighton in general is low. Seems to be a young person thing. Disappointing indeed but not a huge surprise it's rubbed off on privileged footballers who can self isolate in their mansions if they do come down with it.

Bellends.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

Any other reasons?

There is definitely an attitude amongst the young + super fit that the risk vs reward of vaccine means they are willing to take the risk of being unvaccinated. I wonder if the impact of what happened to Kimmich at Bayern might change some of that

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

Any other reasons?

No, not just you. Very poor show from our lads, if true.

Perhaps it's time for the EPL to actually lay down some guidelines (which they should have done months ago if they were competent). Maybe someting like games can be postponed if you have more than X number of vaccinated players testing positive?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here