Speed cameras

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trelford Mills Guide Dog

Jun 14, 2008
I got caught just before Christmas doing 61mph on a 50mph dual carriage way in Surrey.

Just got the brown envelope back and was offered the choice of a £60 fine and 3 points, or attending a safety awareness course (max. Of 4 hours) at a cost of £95, but no points on my licence.

I am opting to attend the course.

Noldi

Sep 5, 2010
Horsham
Back in the summer I thought I was on a 60mph section of dual carriage way but it was 50 (speed reduction sign by traffic lights didn't see it because i was busy watching lights) got £70 fixed penalty and 3 points.

Pissed off with myself but also sign could have been better, drove road again a few weeks ago and the small 50 sign after lights was hidden by the hedge not being trimmed, nice straight piece of road with Armco down the middle so didn't expect a lower limit.

mune ni kamome

Jun 5, 2011
Worthing
Is this the camera just after the new Asda in Ferring. I went through there the other day. Saw the camera and looked around desperately for a speed limit sign but couldn't see one till after I'd passed the camera. Luckily I braked just in case. Bit naughty on a dual carriageway to be 50mph

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Is this the camera just after the new Asda in Ferring. I went through there the other day. Saw the camera and looked around desperately for a speed limit sign but couldn't see one till after I'd passed the camera. Luckily I braked just in case. Bit naughty on a dual carriageway to be 50mph

Yes that's the one. Just hope they forgot to put film in it

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012
i didnt think anyone got caught by that one, can see it a mile away!

smeariestbat

May 5, 2012

theres a speed limit sign about 50 yards before it, at the turn off to highdown towers. Been 50mph for as long as i've been driving, thats over 10 years now.

LE19

Yes, depends whether you're within the threshold, but off the top of my head I think 65 in a 50 would make you eligible.

I don't quite understand that - surely the ones that are *way* over the limit are the ones that *really* need to do the course? As well as being fined and getting points, of course.

Those that are not far over the limit should get the option of the course instead of fine/points, as now.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Went through a motor bike patrol camera in Sussex Way B Hill doing 42 in a 30 and was too much over the limit for the course according to the officer. £60 and 3 points

That road is a f***ing joke. It should be a 40mph limit, thats why they put the knobhead with the speed gun there. That said, everyone knows it's a speed trap so you should know better.

albion534

Mar 4, 2010
Brighton, United Kingdom
I heard alot of insurance companies require you to tell them you are doing a speed awareness course, so alot of people now take the points.....they have regular meetings where I work and the guy running it informed me

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
That road is a f***ing joke. It should be a 40mph limit, thats why they put the knobhead with the speed gun there. That said, everyone knows it's a speed trap so you should know better.

It used to be a 40, but the residents complained that it was unsafe. So it got reduced to a 30 years ago.

upthealbion1970

bring on the trumpets....
NSC Patron
Jan 22, 2009
Woodingdean
I heard alot of insurance companies require you to tell them you are doing a speed awareness course, so alot of people now take the points.....they have regular meetings where I work and the guy running it informed me

That's not what we were told on the course I did last month, there's only 1 group that require notification

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
It used to be a 40, but the residents complained that it was unsafe. So it got reduced to a 30 years ago.

Really??!??!

Totally bonkers, it's big wide and open with pavements 20ft away from the road, I guess the bus stop is a possible issue but you can see that from a mile off. The only real problem I can see is if people are flying left round the corner into the road where the woolpack is, but if they were that much of a dickhead at 40 then reducing it to 30 for the rest of us isn't going to make much difference :shrug:

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
If you opt for a speed awareness course, do you have to notify your insurance company?

amexee

Jun 19, 2011
haywards heath
Yes, depends whether you're within the threshold, but off the top of my head I think 65 in a 50 would make you eligible.

Got caught 2 years ago doing 63 on a dual carriageway with a 50 limit. Was just over the speed awareness threshold. I think it was 10% plus 6. I know I was close.

I thought I was in a 60 zone, I was on an unfamiliar road, which changed from a 60 to a 50. My fault but I was effing peed off, Looked out for the sign the next time I went to Corby and yep it was a 50 for a couple of miles.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I got 3 points and a fine for £60 last year for doing just shy of 40mph in a 30 zone.

Had the option of the speed awareness course but it was more expensive than the fine.

When I did my speed awareness the fine was £60 an the course was £80 but the instructor quickly pointed out early into the course that you have to pay four years later to have the points removed by DVLA [£20?] and there is the little matter of insurance premium hike [or not being insured if you thought you could get away from not telling them].

So I reckon you think you've saved £20, but in reality, I doubt you have.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
Got caught 2 years ago doing 63 on a dual carriageway with a 50 limit. Was just over the speed awareness threshold. I think it was 10% plus 6. I know I was close.

I thought I was in a 60 zone, I was on an unfamiliar road, which changed from a 60 to a 50. My fault but I was effing peed off, Looked out for the sign the next time I went to Corby and yep it was a 50 for a couple of miles.

Mine was 72 in a 60 so 20% over [or 10% + 6 if that is indeed the threshold] and was offered [and took] the speed awareness course. * West Mercia not Sussex
One of the things I learnt was how to tell what the speed limit is on the road your driving along - might seem obviously simple, but that's where I was surprised to learn something I didn't know before.

Last edited:

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

I know the feeling. I got done in Southampton about 18 months ago. I'd always been a bit 'well tough' whenever I'd heard the sob stories of people being done for speeding as I'd passed my test in 1976 and in over thirty years of driving properly I'd never had an accident or a speeding ticket. But there I was driving along this 'proper' dual-carriageway a bit lost with the SatNav nagging me to go one way, the wife nagging me to go another and the road signs telling a third story. Even though it was a dual-carriage way I knew it wasn't 60, and as I could see my speed was under 40 I knew I was ok. Then the camera flashed, and when I got the ticket in the post it informed me I'd been doing 37 in a 30 limit.

I am NOT complaining, for the first time in my life I'd missed the speed limit signs and I have no one to blame but myself - but boy was I miffed. I wouldn't have minded if I'd been deliberately speeding and had got done for doing 60 or something, but I thought I was within the limit! I was offered a speed awareness course which I turned down as I was well aware of my speed, and I too thought it was a bit 'stupid'; surely those who need a 'speed awareness' course are those who think speed limit signs are just there to give the wankers in the slow lane something to read?

Unlike others though I have found this made no difference to my next insurance renewal, although I always shop around so I'm not sure if that made a difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports