Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Speed cameras

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Does anyone know the fine i can expect when getting flashed by a camera at 65mph in 50 zone?

Just been done for the first time by a camera on the A27 going eastbound on the dual carriageway between Yeoman Peugeot and Highdown Towers towards Goring

Lets hope it's flashing but not fining. Yes I know that I shouldn't have been speeding:down:

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Ouch! I'll await the brown envelope through the door

Isn't there some sort of speed awareness course you can do instead of fine / points?

Yes, depends whether you're within the threshold, but off the top of my head I think 65 in a 50 would make you eligible.

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Ouch! I'll await the brown envelope through the door

Isn't there some sort of speed awareness course you can do instead of fine / points?
Yes..... my mate went on one....cost him a day off work and £80 for the course,if you do not have any points on your licence it's hardly worth doing,but if points over bring you into a ban then make the effort.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
I don't currently have any points but thought I could take course instead of fine but if course costs same as fine then it's not worth it

I already know the dangers of speeding and the damage it causes. I was just a total knob tonight that's all.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Went through a motor bike patrol camera in Sussex Way B Hill doing 42 in a 30 and was too much over the limit for the course according to the officer. £60 and 3 points

Yes, but they base it on a percentage over the limit, and you wer 40% over, whereas the O/P was only 25%....

Not to mention that's not your only speeding offence is it, judging by your posts on here.

Jul 7, 2003
Unless they have changed the elegibility recently, 65 in a 50 will be outside of the thresholds for the speed awareness course. I got caught doing 68 in a 50 last year and that was £60 and three points. Despite having a clean licence previously it still made a fair difference to my insurance costs so if you do get the option of the course you should definitely take it.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
I had 3 near misses in a week which I heard nothing more about so must have been ok and yes it is my first for 20+ years. Not looking for symapathy as my wife said it had to happen as I have been pushing my luck saying it wont happen to me.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I don't currently have any points but thought I could take course instead of fine but if course costs same as fine then it's not worth it

I already know the dangers of speeding and the damage it causes. I was just a total knob tonight that's all.

Course cost about £85 last time I checked. It depends on the impact points will have on your insurance premiums as to whether you'd prefer to pay that or take the points.

crabtree seagull

Nov 7, 2007
Unless they have changed the elegibility recently, 65 in a 50 will be outside of the thresholds for the speed awareness course. I got caught doing 68 in a 50 last year and that was £60 and three points. Despite having a clean licence previously it still made a fair difference to my insurance costs so if you do get the option of the course you should definitely take it.

Thank you. Hopefully my age and previous clean record will go in my favour with insurance company. Lets see what my postal delivery person brings me in the next week or so. Do you still get the points on licence if you pay for and attend course? I guess you do? I'll get what I deserve I suppose.

Jul 7, 2003
Thank you. Hopefully my age and previous clean record will go in my favour with insurance company. Lets see what my postal delivery person brings me in the next week or so. Do you still get the points on licence if you pay for and attend course? I guess you do? I'll get what I deserve I suppose.

Your insurance company are unlikely to be sympathetic - I had 20+ years of driving without a blemish and it makes no difference.

No points if you attend the course so it is definitely worthwhile. As the attendance in in place of the fine/points you do not have to declare this on your insurance as it is not a conviction. However, this is something that some groups are looking to change.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
no you dont get the points - worth it in my opinion

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
I got 3 points and a fine for £60 last year for doing just shy of 40mph in a 30 zone.

Had the option of the speed awareness course but it was more expensive than the fine.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009

Your age and previous record will count for nothing.
Do the course, because the points effect your insurance premium by about £150/year.
Points remain on your licence for 3 years, so effectively costing you £450

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
I had 3 near misses in a week which I heard nothing more about so must have been ok and yes it is my first for 20+ years. Not looking for symapathy as my wife said it had to happen as I have been pushing my luck saying it wont happen to me.

That to me suggests 20 years of 'experienced speeding' whereby you have been speeding in areas that aren't covered by cameras rather than 20 years of careful driving followed by an out of character mistake.

I got flashed by the camera on that stretch coming out of the marina along the seafront. Was convinced that stretch was 40 for some reason. Anyway I saw the markings late and braked sharply but I was doing 37 when I entered the trap and it flashed.

Never got the ticket which I can't understand why. Anyway having only passed my test for about 3 months at that point it proper shit me up thinking about the insurance hike and the 6 point strike for new drivers so I drive meticulously close to the limit at all times now.

Conkers

Jan 11, 2006
Haywards Heath
I always stick to 30 in 30 zones, you never know when stupid pedestrians (old, young and drunk people) are going to fall or step into the road.
I find I hardly ever reach 60 in a 60 on single carraigeway roads anyway as most people are Sunday drivers and think it's acceptable to coast along at 40 and then to keep doing so when entering a 30mph zone with school kids about.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here