Southern Rail STRIKE details

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
...all the time they are doing what DfT wants...

which is? this keeps getting said with no really content. DfT are forcing DOO? or something else, break the union etc? why does it have to be a drawn out affair with service impoverishment, can they not just get on with it in a more direct manner (legistaltion)?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
which is? this keeps getting said with no really content. DfT are forcing DOO? or something else, break the union etc? why does it have to be a drawn out affair with service impoverishment, can they not just get on with it in a more direct manner (legistaltion)?

Google Peter Wilkinson and his comments, he expects a 3 year war for this to break the RMT & ASLEF

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Google Peter Wilkinson and his comments, he expects a 3 year war for this to break the RMT & ASLEF

so this is one man, remove the man and we get back to some sensible service. fair enough, lets let people know about it. they'll be riots on the platforms at Clapham and East Croyon before 3 years if this carries on.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
so this is one man, remove the man and we get back to some sensible service. fair enough, lets let people know about it. they'll be riots on the platforms at Clapham and East Croyon before 3 years if this carries on.

He is the government 'advisor'. He is being retained by the DfT to negotiate on their behalf.

YOU ask the government to remove him, and see how far you get.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
He is the government 'advisor'. He is being retained by the DfT to negotiate on their behalf.

YOU ask the government to remove him, and see how far you get.

seems like he's made quite an impression, are the industry in fear of him? make life uncomfortable to the politicians, put him under the spot light and the focus of problems and they'll not be happy to keep him.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
seems like he's made quite an impression, are the industry in fear of him? make life uncomfortable to the politicians, put him under the spot light and the focus of problems and they'll not be happy to keep him.

He is being retained to negotiate on behalf of DfT. He is carrying out government intentions. If he 'wants a fight', it's because the government wants a fight (and vice-versa).

BTW - he believes the railway industry is 'his' industry. As Ernest said - google him, especially his quotes from the public meeting in Croydon a few months ago.

TheJasperCo

Jan 20, 2012
Exeter
At what point will businesses and companies realise that this farce is impacting on workers' productivity and hampering tourism and commuters and school pupils alike? Surely the downstream effects of this scandal will lead to the government/SASTA management getting caught out sooner rather than later.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
At what point will businesses and companies realise that this farce is impacting on workers' productivity and hampering tourism and commuters and school pupils alike? Surely the downstream effects of this scandal will lead to the government/SASTA management getting caught out sooner rather than later.

All the while they peddle the 'staff sickness' line (i.e. blaming the staff and unions), and people fall for it, they will feel free to do as they wish.

It's a case of winning hearts and minds first, before any customer/passenger action takes place.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
BTW - he believes the railway industry is 'his' industry. As Ernest said - google him, especially his quotes from the public meeting in Croydon a few months ago.

i did and was already familar with the Croydon comment from Feburary... there seems a lot of weight on that.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
i did and was already familar with the Croydon comment from Feburary... there seems a lot of weight on that.

Exactly. He is representing the DfT, and wants to destroy the unions.

Any concern over collateral damage seems a distant second to him.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Exactly. He is representing the DfT, and wants to destroy the unions.

Any concern over collateral damage seems a distant second to him.

i dont buy that on the other interviews hes given. career civil servant with an ambition to deliver improvment to passengers, if it gets too hot and he's looking in trouble he'll change tack rather than risk his vision. as i see it unions are a obstacle to him to remove if necessary not a objective in themselves, unless you want to make it all about one comment at one meeting. end of the day the passenger service is poor right now and no one i see is particulaly blaming staff, the focus is on SASTA to improve, they've dodged the petition because the Remedial plan already in place give them an excuse. but we know its another issue, DOO and the manangment ban on overtime, so if this is highlighted more they'll have to change too, as its a problem of their own making.

Jul 7, 2003
Thanks.

So, according to these figures...

119/309 (38%) of trains on the Southern mainline have arrived at their final destination no more than 5 minutes late.
88/309 (29%) of trains on the Southern mainline have arrived at their final destination no between 5 and 30 minutes late.
102/309 (32%) of trains on the Southern mainline have either arrive more than 30 minutes late, or been cancelled.

... today so far.

I would like to know how many of that 38% actually ran the full route. It is assumed that if the Victoria to Bognor service starts from Barnham and still gets into Bognor a couple of minutes late it would be included in the stats as an 'on time' journey even though most of the service didn't run and the majority of passengers would have been inconvenienced. Statistics and lies again...

Eddiespearritt

May 23, 2012
Central Europe
Utterly shambolic experience today - the only good luck I have is that I'm able (with mininmal inconvenience) able to switch to South West trains and travel up to London by another route. The "sickness and staff shortage" permanent message is a real joke now - and simply means that from my neck of the Sussex woods I won't be contributing to the fantastic salaries of the top men at Southern for quite some time to come.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
It is the Tory party at it's finest , the elite doesn't catch trains so they can carry on knowing it doesn't affect them
Yes they do and DC was late to Haywards Heath because they cancelled his train and had to come by road and Sir Nicholas made a big point how bad the service is. Also Simon Kirby made the same points and Nick Herbert. Not only is is poor service it's the most expensive and the pepole of Sussex deserve better. It must be costing loads of compensation.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Yes they do and DC was late to Haywards Heath because they cancelled his train and had to come by road and Sir Nicholas made a big point how bad the service is. Also Simon Kirby made the same points and Nick Herbert. Not only is is poor service it's the most expensive and the pepole of Sussex deserve better. It must be costing loads of compensation.

Why haven't they done something then ?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
i dont buy that on the other interviews hes given. career civil servant with an ambition to deliver improvment to passengers, if it gets too hot and he's looking in trouble he'll change tack rather than risk his vision.

His vision is he wants to crush the unions, as does the government. I've no idea why you're giving him any kind of benefit of the doubt. Everything else, to him, is merely white noise.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here