Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
fwiw, they have been saying "shortage of train crew" for as long i recall, and i dont ever remember hearing sickness mentioned on the tannoys.

They used to say it all the time. However now that their dirty secret is out they are now using shortage of train crew, this a little more accurate, but given that there are plenty of train crew available (I know I've seen them) even this statement is disingenuous.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
You can keep up to speed (no pun intended) with every rail company's current daily performance - the Public Performance Measure (PPM) statistics - here...

http://trains.im/ppm/

You can also keep up with a breakdown of GTR's current daily performance - the Public Performance Measure (PPM) statistics - here...

http://trains.im/ppm/ET

Point of order from these figures - what does 'SN' (as in 'SN Mainline') and 'GN' (as in 'GN Inners') refer to? Ta.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Recently it's ALL been 'due to unusually high levels of sickness' announcements. Total BS obviously and shameful that they're actually allowed to put out that level of disinformation. This whole thing is just perverse now.

I was a guard/conductor at Brighton since 1982 and in all that time not once was the guards or drivers depot numbers what it should be, in some times it was 25% or more short so train crew were bribed to work over time to keep the job running and they did and together with rosters clerks who knew what they were doing meant that a shortage of crew was never a factor for cancelling trains apart from a last minute job that you could't predict or plan for.

When Connex and Charles Horton involved took over they wanted to reorganise the Guards job which incidentally they threatened DOO at the time which was smacked away and part of their plan was 100% guards at all depots and no vacancies at any of them. The reorganisation took place favourably for Guards with a much larger salary and more time off but not once did they come anywhere near 100% of staff needed to work without any overtime required, mainly as there was a pool of Guards who liked working overtime and it was cheaper to utilise them then to pay and train new Guards all the time.

The problem is now that the depot numbers are still hugely under what is required but overtime is now banned unless you sign your life away which nobody is stupid enough to do so what you have now is what happens. With the number of sick Guards and the numbers of them on leave etc I when I was working as a manager or as a rosters clerk would have covered all the trains quite easily, I had a 100% record of making sure my trains were covered as I took it as a personal affront to have a train cancelled for the punters and even occasions when all hands on deck for Gay Pride, Party in the Park etc we still had all the trains covered. It was called goodwill on both sides, scratch my back I'll scratch yours and it worked.

Obviously now, there are no competent managers , just bullies and lap dogs and with the banning of overtime the only thing surprises me is that not more trains are being cancelled.

Cosmic Joker

The Motorik
Apr 14, 2010
Chichester
You can keep up to speed (no pun intended) with every rail company's current daily performance - the Public Performance Measure (PPM) statistics - here...

http://trains.im/ppm/

You can also keep up with a breakdown of GTR's current daily performance - the Public Performance Measure (PPM) statistics - here...

http://trains.im/ppm/ET

Point of order from these figures - what does 'SN' (as in 'SN Mainline') and 'GN' (as in 'GN Inners') refer to? Ta.

SN = Southern
GN = Great Northern
TL = Thameslink

SN Mainline will cover all Southern branded trains which use the fast lines through East Croydon. So comparing it to the "Service Update" box on the homepage of the Southern site, it will cover everything listed as Brighton Mainline, Redhill, Mainline West and Mainline East. As they are not listed separately it is hard to tell if it also covers the Oxted lines (East Grinstead / Uckfield).

GN Inners is mostly Moorgate to Welwyn GC and Hertford North

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
SN = Southern
GN = Great Northern
TL = Thameslink

SN Mainline will cover all Southern branded trains which use the fast lines through East Croydon. So comparing it to the "Service Update" box on the homepage of the Southern site, it will cover everything listed as Brighton Mainline, Redhill, Mainline West and Mainline East. As they are not listed separately it is hard to tell if it also covers the Oxted lines (East Grinstead / Uckfield).

GN Inners is mostly Moorgate to Welwyn GC and Hertford North

Thanks.

So, according to these figures...

119/309 (38%) of trains on the Southern mainline have arrived at their final destination no more than 5 minutes late.
88/309 (29%) of trains on the Southern mainline have arrived at their final destination no between 5 and 30 minutes late.
102/309 (32%) of trains on the Southern mainline have either arrive more than 30 minutes late, or been cancelled.

... today so far.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks.

119/309 (38%) of trains on the Southern mainline have arrived at their final destination no more than 5 minutes late.
88/309 (29%) of trains on the Southern mainline have arrived at their final destination no between 5 and 30 minutes late.
102/309 (32%) of trains on the Southern mainline have either arrive more than 30 minutes late, or been cancelled.

... today so far.

Really astonishing figures.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Thanks.

... today so far.

The figures are pointless, it's like having no relegation from the Premier League, you can be as bad as you want because nothing will happen

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
It is when they say you can use the bus instead of the train due to disruption
No, the point is that this disruption should not be happening in the first place - people have paid for a train service and should be provided with one.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
No, the point is that this disruption should not be happening in the first place - people have paid for a train service and should be provided with one.

But if you were clever you would use it for nefarious means, they have now said you can travel from Aldrington to Brighton which is about £2.50 via Havant and Clapham Junction, you have a screen shot on your phone with Southern Twitter saying this is ok. Now if you wanted to go anywhere west to Havant, then north to Guildford, Woking and onto Clapham Junction all you need to do is buy an Aldrington to Brighton ticket and show the screen shot on your phone, nobody can stop you breaking your journey anywhere either.

Use their uselessness for your own means, only way to get back at them

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
But if you were clever you would use it for nefarious means, they have now said you can travel from Aldrington to Brighton which is about £2.50 via Havant and Clapham Junction, you have a screen shot on your phone with Southern Twitter saying this is ok. Now if you wanted to go anywhere west to Havant, then north to Guildford, Woking and onto Clapham Junction all you need to do is buy an Aldrington to Brighton ticket and show the screen shot on your phone, nobody can stop you breaking your journey anywhere either.

Use their uselessness for your own means, only way to get back at them
Doesn't help when people just want to go about their daily, routine business to work or education or whatever and are impeded by SASTA incompetence.

Maybe someone should sue SASTA for selling tickets under false pretences (ie; the pretence that you have a decent chance of being able to use the ticket to make your intended journey).

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
How on earth can the chief exec get a bonus? This gets more and more scandalous with each new nugget of information.

The single most scandalous aspect of this BS is that there is not one single official body able or willing to stick up for the rights of the rail customer. It's pure naked Toryism at its worst, and a disgrace to the captive customer base and a huge drain on the wider economy. This is where voting Conservative leads, when they've finished squeezing the pips out of the poor and defenceless. You might consider youself something of a hotshot, but make no mistake, you're NEXT in their sights.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Doesn't help when people just want to go about their daily, routine business to work or education or whatever and are impeded by SASTA incompetence.

Maybe someone should sue SASTA for selling tickets under false pretences (ie; the pretence that you have a decent chance of being able to use the ticket to make your intended journey).

THPP below you tells you the answer

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's pure naked Toryism at its worst, and a disgrace to the captive customer base and a huge drain on the wider economy.

contradiction there, if it was really "pure naked Toryism" we'd be charged what it costs for the service, no subsidies from the wider tax payer base and probably twice as much for the cost of a ticket. the problems are because we have perennial kludges to paper over the cracks of rail network not invested in for generations and not cost efficient or fit for purpose.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
contradiction there, if it was really "pure naked Toryism" we'd be charged what it costs for the service, no subsidies from the wider tax payer base and probably twice as much for the cost of a ticket. the problems are because we have perennial kludges to paper over the cracks of rail network not invested in for generations and not cost efficient or fit for purpose.

Well it is very Tory, they want shot of it at all costs to the private sector, they allow a company to attempt to make money out of while running down the service (any user can see this), they government keep changing the rules to allow this happen, and get some Union bashing out of the deal.

Not sure many can defend the running of the company and the silence of its Chief executive.

Stat Man

Tickle my fancy, fat man
Mar 3, 2009
Brighton

It didn't work, but he hasn't given up.

http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/Earls...rn-rail-cuts/story-26360033-detail/story.html

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/17/commu...-southern-rail-for-continuous-delays-5699516/

I'm trying to dispute with my credit card company for goods & services not received, but so far it's not looking good.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
It didn't work, but he hasn't given up.

http://www.surreymirror.co.uk/Earls...rn-rail-cuts/story-26360033-detail/story.html

http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/17/commu...-southern-rail-for-continuous-delays-5699516/

I'm trying to dispute with my credit card company for goods & services not received, but so far it's not looking good.

Waste of time, railway rules and regs are a lot different from simple T&C's, the railway by laws are pretty comprehensive in back side covering

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Well it is very Tory, they want shot of it at all costs to the private sector, they allow a company to attempt to make money out of while running down the service (any user can see this)

i see a massive facility built at Three Bridges and a raft of new rolling stock that runs counter to that narrative. whatever is going on in the service front, someone is putting money in. very few are going to afford the real cost of rail travel, so somewhere someone is going to have to explain to each other and the passengers what the target objective really looks like.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here