Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
So, GTR's final figures for the day (13 June 2016), specifically the ones affecting London - South Coast...

SASTA
209/662 (31%) - arrived at their final destination no more than 5 mins late.
197/662 (30%) - arrived at their final destination between 5 and 30 mins late.
256/662 (39%) - arrived at their final destination more than 30 mins or were cancelled.

Thameslink
45/113 (39%) - arrived at their final destination no more than 5 mins late.
38/113 (34%) - arrived at their final destination between 5 and 30 mins late.
30/113 (27%) - arrived at their final destination more than 30 mins or were cancelled.

Total number of trains cancelled (or more than 30mins late) across the entire GTR network - 738.

Punctuality (i.e. trains which arrived no more than 5 mins late) across the entire GTR network - 53%. Next worst performing train operator - Abelio Greater Anglia - 88%.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
7.12 and 7.29 Gatwick Express services cancelled this morning #justsayin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biddles911

May 12, 2014
Yes they do and DC was late to Haywards Heath because they cancelled his train and had to come by road and Sir Nicholas made a big point how bad the service is. Also Simon Kirby made the same points and Nick Herbert. Not only is is poor service it's the most expensive and the pepole of Sussex deserve better. It must be costing loads of compensation.

Have you tried getting compensation from Southern's useless customer service (?) department? It's taken me six months and four reminders to get a refund from them plus a promise of additional compensation which still hasn't turned up.

Their whole system is geared up to making compensation as difficult as possible and my impression is that it's collapsing under the weight of claims.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
His vision is he wants to crush the unions, as does the government. I've no idea why you're giving him any kind of benefit of the doubt.

because i don't believe in comic book villains. i don't suggest he isn't anti-union, only thats probably not his motivation, he wants to provide an improved service (in his view). that's plainly not happening. so this is an angle to use, to highlight in correspondence to MPs, media that this chap is responsible for passenger service and has made his career from this, is failing to deliver. saying he's out to destroy the union will be met with rolled eyes, showing he is failing in his main duty will bring pressure on him. do you see?

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
because i don't believe in comic book villains. i don't suggest he isn't anti-union, only thats probably not his motivation, he wants to provide an improved service (in his view). that's plainly not happening. so this is an angle to use, to highlight in correspondence to MPs, media that this chap is responsible for passenger service and has made his career from this, is failing to deliver. saying he's out to destroy the union will be met with rolled eyes, showing he is failing in his main duty will bring pressure on him. do you see?

Like Jeremy Hunt with the junior doctors, there didn't need to be a conflict in the first place. This has been entirely orchestrated by the government - that much is clear. Wilkinson is the government's hatchet man, and his main duty IS to destroy the unions - that's his remit.

Getting rid of him is the last thing on the government's mind, unless the GTR staff / ASLEF / RMT can win the hearts and minds of the passengers that GTR are to blame. Only then will he be the fall guy, and the government will have to re-consider its stance. For the most part, they (the staff/unions) are winning. However, when people like Nicholas Soames tweet yesterday that the problems are being caused by the unions, you realise the mindset of the government party.

If Wilkinson can deliver an improved service, that will be merely a lucky coincidence.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Good to see Cameron had his trains to Haywards Heath cancelled yesterday.

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Got an interview in London tomorrow (just off Oxford street) at 2pm, travelling from Worthing. Think I'm gonna have to aim to get a train that leaves around 9:30 just to play it safe with the ridiculous amount of cancellations.

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
It's 11am.

Just the 116 cancellations across the GTR network
Just the 42 on the SASTA London-South Coast / Thameslink London - Brighton services

... so far today.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
It's 11am.

Just the 116 cancellations across the GTR network
Just the 42 on the SASTA London-South Coast / Thameslink London - Brighton services

... so far today.

A good day for SASTA, statistcially speaking 69%on time(ish) shame that two of the cancellations were for two of the busiest trains of the day meaning no direct service to Victoria between 7 & 8, but apart from that, splendid stuff!

theboybilly

Incidentally I was amused to read today that the new class 700 trains (more comfortable standing commuters!) cannot at present run on the down fast line through South Croydon because it is out of gauge. ie it's too big to safely clear the platform!

Can you tell me where you read that as, as an ex-Driver, I can think of other locations where 'out-of-gauge' issues would arise but not really South Croydon on the Down Fast line (it's a gentle curve in comparison to many other locations). I would imagine if a train were to be out-of-gauge there a train would be never passed fit to leave a depot anyway.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Can you tell me where you read that as, as an ex-Driver, I can think of other locations where 'out-of-gauge' issues would arise but not really South Croydon on the Down Fast line (it's a gentle curve in comparison to many other locations). I would imagine if a train were to be out-of-gauge there a train would be never passed fit to leave a depot anyway.

Memo from Sussex route control manager. Not going to put it up here but says "until further notice class 700 trains are not cleared through South Croydon station on the down fast line due to gauging issues through the platform".

albionite

May 20, 2009
Still uncertain why gtr think trains will be back to normal on 30th of June.

Either they are very confident they have already won the court case against aslef on the 27th ( doubt that will make the staff work their rest days.) or aslef win and they will concede.

A few months of misery is more likely the outcome.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Memo from Sussex route control manager. Not going to put it up here but says "until further notice class 700 trains are not cleared through South Croydon station on the down fast line due to gauging issues through the platform".

if there are issues on one platform on one line, isn't the station not the carriages at fault?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here