Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Your family have my absolute sympathy, you truly do, and please remember that when you read on.

For me, having a young child and commuting most days from the Sussex coast are really difficult things to handle. Even when the trains are running well, you're still facing the possibility of not seeing your child on any given day. I note you're in Brighton, which is better than Worthing from a commuting perspective, but it's still a long day. I'd have to be out of the house around 6:30, when my son was still in bed, and be back home around 7, shortly before he went to bed. I was able to work from home a fair bit, but when I wasn't I almost became a weekend Dad, even though we lived under the same roof.

The problem for many, when taking a London job, is they become accustomed to the inflated salary and their spending, possibly including a mortgage, become dependent upon that level of income. From my own experiences, I'd strongly urge anyone considering commuting up to London to think long and hard about it, and consider leading a cheaper life (smaller house, older car, less meals out, less exotic holidays - whatever cheaper may mean) with a less lucrative, but more local, job.

Kids being little passes far too quickly - you don't want to miss it.

Totally understand what you are saying and we were well aware of the implications of moving to the south coast which included the long commute for the wife, yes we moved from Camden in a one bedroom flat and swapped that for a three bedroom house on a hill in Brighton it is not massive or overly expensive, we don't own a flash car we are not those kind of people. We moved back to Brighton for a better family life at the weekends and in the long summer nights by the coast you can't beat it. We were also well aware there could be times when the wife would be late or have to leave early or even pick her up, but nothing prepares you for the complete randomness of these strikes and how long this has been going on.... The wife works for the council in Camden and has an understanding boss and also only normally travels up four days a week so in that respect there is not much pressure other than the guilt of not seeing her daughter as much during the week.... Which is why we spoil the living daylights out of her at the weekend.

My problem with it all is it is the complete disregard by all concerned unions. government and Southern for the fair paying public and impact they have on peoples lives, and our woes are not as bad as other peoples out there in the rest of Sussex and Surrey I feel for them all.

All for 5k a year.... 5k !!! and there is nothing we can do that will change this, its affecting businesses large and small, football clubs, and families and they don't give a flying f...

How and why can this be allowed to happen, stupid question really.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I did get a train home last night, the 11:17 from Victoria to Worthing.

Interestingly, we 'lost' our conductor at Haywards Heath, and the driver took great joy in telling us that GTR were to blame and he was going to go to Brighton instead.

We stopped at Burgess Hill, Hassocks and Preston Park, and at each station he made a point of waiting for 5 minutes, and telling us that he was unable to see the screens to ensure that platforms were clear. It seemed a little over the top - making a point.

He said, we'd be unlikely to get a conductor at brighton, so we'd be stuck there. We DID get a conductor though, so we went back along the coast, so I made sure I thanked him for saving us.

See things like this wind me up, he was clearly smugly antagonising the public...

Why do that

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
See things like this wind me up, he was clearly smugly antagonising the public...

Why do that

It felt that way. Made a point of telling us all that he was struggling to operate the train without a conductor.

Which of the 3 stations (Burgess Hill, Hassocks & PP) do DOO Thameslink run through?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It felt that way. Made a point of telling us all that he was struggling to operate the train without a conductor.

Which of the 3 stations (Burgess Hill, Hassocks & PP) do DOO Thameslink run through?

Thameslink trains up to 12 coaches stop at all of them (add Wivelsfield too that has a noticeable curve on the platform), I never realised I was taking such a risk in the morning.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
From what I understand, the newer Thameslink trains have better DOO oriented tech onboard, so realistically comparing Southern and Thameslink in terms of DOO is an apples and oranges situation. Until Southern get the new trains as well, they can't operate DOO as well as Thameslink do.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
From what I understand, the newer Thameslink trains have better DOO oriented tech onboard, so realistically comparing Southern and Thameslink in terms of DOO is an apples and oranges situation. Until Southern get the new trains as well, they can't operate DOO as well as Thameslink do.

Thameslink still use a lot of older trains that they recycled from Southern.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Your family have my absolute sympathy, you truly do, and please remember that when you read on.

For me, having a young child and commuting most days from the Sussex coast are really difficult things to handle. Even when the trains are running well, you're still facing the possibility of not seeing your child on any given day. I note you're in Brighton, which is better than Worthing from a commuting perspective, but it's still a long day. I'd have to be out of the house around 6:30, when my son was still in bed, and be back home around 7, shortly before he went to bed. I was able to work from home a fair bit, but when I wasn't I almost became a weekend Dad, even though we lived under the same roof.

The problem for many, when taking a London job, is they become accustomed to the inflated salary and their spending, possibly including a mortgage, become dependent upon that level of income. From my own experiences, I'd strongly urge anyone considering commuting up to London to think long and hard about it, and consider leading a cheaper life (smaller house, older car, less meals out, less exotic holidays - whatever cheaper may mean) with a less lucrative, but more local, job.

Kids being little passes far too quickly - you don't want to miss it.

Spot on sir. I have a friend (no, really I do) who has been doing the London thang from Hove for around 30 years. Originally a cool guy with a great job, social life and income and somewhat envied by others. Life has taken its toll, he now has an ex-wife with two kids and a new wife with two step kids and a new born baby. He still has the London job, hardly ever sees his families, and cannot even contemplate changing his job as he would lose one or maybe two homes for his offspring. London jobs may look cool in your 20's, but they come with a hefty price tag in later life.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
Thameslink drivers have better eyesight?

You know those cop films where there is a misanthrope detective who plays by his own rules and doesn't need a partner? He does all his best work alone and isn't afraid to bend the rules to get results - that's Thameslink driver. It's Lethal Weapon 2. He's basically Mel Gibson, the guards are Danny Glover and us passengers are Patsy Kensit, the love interest - an afterthought who gets screwed by everyone and winds up being the late Patsy Kensit.

As bad analogies go, that's a cracker.

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You know those cop films where there is a misanthrope detective who plays by his own rules and doesn't need a partner? He does all his best work alone and isn't afraid to bend the rules to get results - that's Thameslink driver. It's Lethal Weapon 2. He's basically Mel Gibson, the guards are Danny Glover and us passengers are Patsy Kensit, the love interest - an afterthought who gets screwed by everyone.

Or they're DCI John Luther?

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You know those cop films where there is a misanthrope detective who plays by his own rules and doesn't need a partner? He does all his best work alone and isn't afraid to bend the rules to get results - that's Thameslink driver. It's Lethal Weapon 2. He's basically Mel Gibson, the guards are Danny Glover and us passengers are Patsy Kensit, the love interest - an afterthought who gets screwed by everyone and winds up being the late Patsy Kensit.

Or perhaps Swallow?

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

Why do that

Because the driver is a ****

The unions are ***** despite what my left leaning friends may think

The passengers get ****** over

And as for the government and sasta double *****

Papa Lazarou

Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Because the driver is a ****

The unions are ***** despite what my left leaning friends may think

The passengers get ****** over

And as for the government and sasta double *****

It was annoying listening to the driver slagging of GTR or whatever they're call, and then quite deliberately exaggerating the difficulties he was experiencing.

Having not traveled home at normal time since the Aslef overtime ban, what's the situation with London Bridge to Littlehampton trains in the evening? Are they permanently cancelled?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here