Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
Genuine question for anyone ITK.

If an ASLEF driver who works for Southern is on strike because they say DOO trains are not safe and a guard MUST be kept on the train, why are ASLEF drivers who work for Thameslink not on strike for the same reason?

As I understand it, it's to do with some differences in rolling stock, routes, platform length & shape and passenger numbers when DOO was originally agreed to on Thameslink.

I may well be wrong as there is a lot of confusion coming from all sides to be fair.

Here's an interesting old article I came across : http://www.railmagazine.com/trains/current-trains/the-pros-and-cons-of-driver-only-operation

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Genuine question for anyone ITK.

If an ASLEF driver who works for Southern is on strike because they say DOO trains are not safe and a guard MUST be kept on the train, why are ASLEF drivers who work for Thameslink not on strike for the same reason?

the Thameslink drivers agreed to the DOO way back, so its part of their role and cant (legally) strike on the issue. (i wonder if they are still included in the ballot and the oavertime ban though?)

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Question for those who clearly have more of an understanding of this cluster**** than I do, when the Unions first propose a strike they ballot their members for approval right, takes a couple of weeks I assume? I read yesterday that in the ACAS talks if an agreement was reached they would immediately call off the strike, surely they would have to "ballot" their members to see wether they are happy with the new terms before calling off a strike?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Can anyone explain this oft-used line for me - 'The strike has resulted in trains starting the morning in the wrong location. Cancellations are therefore unavoidable and some routes will run a limited service'. I get this when this has been weather disruption or similar but surely the trains finished on Monday night exactly where they would on a Wednesday night?!? Is this just another Southern excuse or what?

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
Can anyone explain this oft-used line for me - 'The strike has resulted in trains starting the morning in the wrong location. Cancellations are therefore unavoidable and some routes will run a limited service'. I get this when this has been weather disruption or similar but surely the trains finished on Monday night exactly where they would on a Wednesday night?!? Is this just another Southern excuse or what?

Exactly my thoughts - unless the timetable alters from a tuesday to a thursday.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Excuse, the trains would not be that out of place from a normal service. Trains would have to have a full prep but that would only take an extra 10mins at most.

I should add they had shunter drivers that were not included in strike who would of done this during the night.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Excuse, the trains would not be that out of place from a normal service. Trains would have to have a full prep but that would only take an extra 10mins at most.

I should add they had shunter drivers that were not included in strike who would of done this during the night.

Thanks, I thought as much.

oddsonlaughter

Jan 24, 2008
One for those more in the know but just spoke to someone in ticket office who said he heard drivers have been offered a £5-7k increase to operate how Southern want

If true will be interesting to see what happens and where that leaves the "safety issues"

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
One for those more in the know but just spoke to someone in ticket office who said he heard drivers have been offered a £5-7k increase to operate how Southern want

If true will be interesting to see what happens and where that leaves the "safety issues"

funny if true. id have though it better to spend the £4.5-6.5m on upgrading those cameras and screens with poor images.

it's notable that the talks seem to be ongoing with no flouncing yet, so must be productive.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

Can't speak for everyone but it's not about money so it would be a no from me.

albionite

May 20, 2009

Gossip

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Can't speak for everyone but it's not about money so it would be a no from me.

what if they improved the camera etc? while the "bad" camera pictures do show something not fit for purpose, would you agree the good pictures show a system that is?

(accepting you dont have a wider field of view. an odd argument i hear is about seeing those running for the train, its not the role of guard to hold the train up for someone late, albeit nice of them)

AK74

Bright-eyed. Bushy-tailed. GSOH.
NSC Patron
Jan 19, 2010
funny if true. id have though it better to spend the £4.5-6.5m on upgrading those cameras and screens with poor images.

it's notable that the talks seem to be ongoing with no flouncing yet, so must be productive.

According to Network Rail's Sussex route plan:

DOO CCTV currently exists at 35 stations with various car stop configurations such as 4, 4/6/8 and 8/10/12. The platform extension project will add to these numbers with either new car stops or additional cameras and monitors. There may also be additional systems for guard dispatch installed as part of this project; such is the case at Billingshurst. All of these systems have colour cameras either post mounted or suspended from station canopies, all monitors are of a TFT (Thin Film Transistor) type with the majority being 15 inch portrait style.

Looks like there's an intention to add new cameras. What it doesn't make clear if there's also a desire to upgrade existing screens. And the plan also seems to suggest that these works will be carried out in FY18, so there doesn't appear to be any degree of urgency from NR's perspective.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
According to Network Rail's Sussex route plan:

DOO CCTV currently exists at 35 stations with various car stop configurations such as 4, 4/6/8 and 8/10/12. The platform extension project will add to these numbers with either new car stops or additional cameras and monitors. There may also be additional systems for guard dispatch installed as part of this project; such is the case at Billingshurst. All of these systems have colour cameras either post mounted or suspended from station canopies, all monitors are of a TFT (Thin Film Transistor) type with the majority being 15 inch portrait style.

Looks like there's an intention to add new cameras. What it doesn't make clear if there's also a desire to upgrade existing screens. And the plan also seems to suggest that these works will be carried out in FY18, so there doesn't appear to be any degree of urgency from NR's perspective.

I guess that's the 'thing'... If Southern were to commit to the necessary upgrades to camera, screen and other enabling technology then I assume the strike would end immediately (as long as they stuck to their commitment, which is doubtful).

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
Need to get train from London Victoria to Worthing tonight after work.

Anyone know how today's services have gone and are shaping up? I've mentally prepared myself for the worst..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here