Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

albionite

May 20, 2009
Letter is now out they have made Bognor Regis/ littlehampton up to Victoria by Arun valley doo. From 21st coastal routes will be doo. Rushing this a lot quicker than they had planned,shows you they have no desire to talk.

As normal on railway will take a few deaths for them to see sense by then it will be too late.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Letter is now out they have made Bognor Regis/ littlehampton up to Victoria by Arun valley doo. From 21st coastal routes will be doo. Rushing this a lot quicker than they had planned,shows you they have no desire to talk.

As normal on railway will take a few deaths for them to see sense by then it will be too late.

I doubt anyone will die.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Getting to London tomorrow to make the booked train to Birmingham looks like a farce.

Loads showing as cancelled already.

I've just looked as I need to get to London from Eastbourne. No direct service to Victoria, the only possibility seems to be a train to Brighton first, although whether I would get to London even then who knows?

I'm wondering if I'm even going to make it to Birmingham. Can travel 5,000 miles no problem, but can't make the 60 miles to London :nono::nono: :(

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I've just looked as I need to get to London from Eastbourne. No direct service to Victoria, the only possibility seems to be a train to Brighton first, although whether I would get to London even then who knows?

I'm wondering if I'm even going to make it to Birmingham. Can travel 5,000 miles no problem, but can't make the 60 miles to London :nono::nono: :(

Brighton to/from Victoria not looking too bad at the moment, but not sure when all the cancellations will start appearing on the online planner/app.....................if anything like usual, probably about 10 mins before the train is due to leave.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Brighton to/from Victoria not looking too bad at the moment, but not sure when all the cancellations will start appearing on the online planner/app.....................if anything like usual, probably about 10 mins before the train is due to leave.

While there has been a lot of discussion about the strike and blame for issues this week this is typical incompetent Southern. I had to work in Canary Wharf yesterday. On Wednesday night I checked to see if the 5.50 from Portslade was running or if the 6,27 would be the first. The 5.50 wasn't on the list at all but the 6.27 was, as was the 5.39 to Brighton. I didn't fancy two trains worth on the 6.27 so decided to get up even earlier and get the 5.39 to Brighton and see what was happening there.

Woke up in the morning and the 5.39 was showing as cancelled, the 5.50 was there and on time and the 6.27 cancelled on the app. Walked to get the 5.50 as the app showed that had left Havant on time. Arrived at the station to see the 5.39 pulling out and the 5.50 and 6.27 showing as on time on the board.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
While there has been a lot of discussion about the strike and blame for issues this week this is typical incompetent Southern. I had to work in Canary Wharf yesterday. On Wednesday night I checked to see if the 5.50 from Portslade was running or if the 6,27 would be the first. The 5.50 wasn't on the list at all but the 6.27 was, as was the 5.39 to Brighton. I didn't fancy two trains worth on the 6.27 so decided to get up even earlier and get the 5.39 to Brighton and see what was happening there.

Woke up in the morning and the 5.39 was showing as cancelled, the 5.50 was there and on time and the 6.27 cancelled on the app. Walked to get the 5.50 as the app showed that had left. Arrived at the station to see the 5.39 pulling out and the 5.50 and 6.27 showing as on time on the board.

I always check in the morning before I leave the house - several times in the last few weeks the app has shown the train as 'on time' as I leave, and cancelled by the time I get to the station (which is a less than 10 min walk, and less than 15 mins from Brighton where the train starts - so cancellation must be known earlier). Even if that's not the case, there are so many normal cancellations it's very difficult to make any firm plans. I also get pissed off at getting up at 5.15 to catch the 6.04, only to find it's not running. This is Thameslink......Southern are even worse.

I'm driving to Brum tomorrow :shrug::shrug:

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Tried driving to Three Bridges today to see what Thameslink were like this morning as I never normally go on them. I liked the way the train says "the doors will open automatically" when you're in London stations. I wish it was that easy on Southern.

The train (coming from Brighton) was pretty empty, but it was 06:45 or so, though so was the one back this evening as well. The problem is that the car park there will obviously fill up at some point in the morning and at that point there's no plan B so I'll have to get there very early or be taking a chance.

On my normal Southern route on Thursday several people were expressing increasing dislike of the drivers and conductors - far more than I've heard recently. My plan to solve the dispute would be to only accept DOO when new rolling stock that is the same quality as Thameslink is available and not on the other trains. But I doubt that would be acceptable to the unions now.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Tried driving to Three Bridges today to see what Thameslink were like this morning as I never normally go on them. I liked the way the train says "the doors will open automatically" when you're in London stations. I wish it was that easy on Southern.

The train (coming from Brighton) was pretty empty, but it was 06:45 or so, though so was the one back this evening as well. The problem is that the car park there will obviously fill up at some point in the morning and at that point there's no plan B so I'll have to get there very early or be taking a chance.

On my normal Southern route on Thursday several people were expressing increasing dislike of the drivers and conductors - far more than I've heard recently. My plan to solve the dispute would be to only accept DOO when new rolling stock that is the same quality as Thameslink is available and not on the other trains. But I doubt that would be acceptable to the unions now.

The unions might be dead in the water by the time this dispute is over - seems to be the Government's intention. I think the RMT and ASLEF have really screwed up in this case - they could have perhaps kept the commuting public more on side as we all knew SASTA were a shitshow, but instead they've compounded everyone's misery and turned people against them and many now view them and SASTA with equal disdain (according to the chatter on my commute anyway)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Apropos of nothing, I had to meet someone in West Worthing for lunch today. They're Aussie, and had travelled ten thousand miles to be there. Being a non-driver, and not about to pay a cabbie some kind of king's ransom, I assumed I was completely snookered in having to traverse a mere dozen or so miles out of Brighton on an ASLEF strike day. But then I discovered 700 COASTLINER! Have lived in Brighton for over thirty years and was previously only dimly aware of its existence. But it's cheap as chips, runs every 10 minutes and, OK, it's slow as all f*ck, but on occasions such as this, it's proved to me to be a very useful service indeed!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
The unions might be dead in the water by the time this dispute is over - seems to be the Government's intention. I think the RMT and ASLEF have really screwed up in this case - they could have perhaps kept the commuting public more on side as we all knew SASTA were a shitshow, but instead they've compounded everyone's misery and turned people against them and many now view them and SASTA with equal disdain (according to the chatter on my commute anyway)

Yes. People like me. A just and noble cause originally. Now **** them and their members club.

Change legislation and ban unions on the railways. Sack them all make it illegal to rehire them or if you do make sure they relinquish union membership. Enough is enough.

albionite

May 20, 2009
SOUTHERN RAIL DISPUTE
Please read this. It's a post on my other page from a driver on a route where driver only trains have been introduced. It demolishes the argument 'they've been introduced on other lines so that's OK' in the most powerful way I can think of. I have simply copied his words.

Mr Attila sir, I have been driving trains for 25+ years now (not southern) and on the questions we posed to management about driver only trains it was explained to us in no uncertain terms that it is cheaper to pay compensation for a passenger death than it is to employ guards preventing death and injury. Thats what the train companies are only interested in, better 1 death than paying some people to prevent that death, cold hard business i work in nowadays

it was explained as this : if 1 person dies the company may pay say £1million compensation, if that company employs say 500 guards over all its region at a base £26000 excluding the overtime they do thats a wage bill of £13million p.a. As long as you dont kill 13 or more a year youre in profit, that was how it was justified to us.

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
On the other hand. In a world where there are driverless automobiles, pilotless planes dealing death from above, fully automated container ships with no personnel on board and drones that will deliver your parcels. The example of a driverless, guard less train connecting the two terminals at Gatwick, which I don't think has spent a penny on accidental death in it's working life would have me worried if I was a union organiser, desperately trying to recreate the 60's and 70's.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
The example of a driverless, guard less train connecting the two terminals at Gatwick, .

Do you mean that little thing that has it's own, dedicated track and does about 15 mph at full chat ? If so, how does that compare with a 12 carriage electrostar travelling at 75mph on a busy system with 00's of other trains ?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I see southern staff are getting a taste of their own medicine with passengers refusing to show tickets. Just a shame the staff reponse seems to be to get physical. Useless tossers deserve all the disrespect they get.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I see southern staff are getting a taste of their own medicine with passengers refusing to show tickets. Just a shame the staff reponse seems to be to get physical. Useless tossers deserve all the disrespect they get.

Where?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Are you really that stupid?

We all know you support the useless mob. Calling me stupid doesn't change the fact they are out of order. As are Southern and as are the government and the unions. Waste of food and daily maintenance, the bloody lot of 'em.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Brighton station. In the Argus today. I have also seen a few FB posts and tweets (shown to me by others, I loathe social media and all who sail in her) saying that a movement to not show tickets and to basically blank and ignore the Southern Staff at all times is gathering momentum.

As an aside I see some cancer sufferers are unable to get to medical appointments due bto the selfishness of the drivers and guards. Hang your heads in shame.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here