Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

coagulantwolf

Jun 21, 2012
I voted Tory and without the train fiasco I would be voting Tory at the next election...

However, there is now NO chance of voting Tory. The alternatives are awful, but I can not STAND the Tories and the influence they've had on my life.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
It's because their majorities are so big it doesn't matter if they lose a few thousand over this: the only one who might worry is Henry Smith in Crawley (I'm assuming Kirby is a goner anyway, he's been spectacularly useless). It's noticeable how active Caulfield has been, she must really fear a resurgent Lib Dem vote in Lewes

I'm surprised Caroline Ansell has been so anonymous in all this in comparison to Caulfield. Her majority is as tiny. Hew Merriman has been far more more noticeable than Ansell in all of this, though certainly not as active as Caulfield.

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
I voted Tory and without the train fiasco I would be voting Tory at the next election...

However, there is now NO chance of voting Tory. The alternatives are awful, but I can not STAND the Tories and the influence they've had on my life.

YOU HAVE FINALLY SEEN THE LIGHT!!! Congrats!

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

I said this on another thread. I will never vote for them again.

View attachment 79958

I know its going to upset people on here but the majority of the South East is Tory (Im putting aside the generation snowflake brigade) but it is.

Interesting how many Tory voters this must be pissing off...yet still they continue to ignore it. Amazing.

This,you could put a blue rosette on a dog turd in Worthing and the silly old ***** would still vote for it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I'm surprised Caroline Ansell has been so anonymous in all this in comparison to Caulfield. Her majority is as tiny. .

It is a bit strange. I put it down to fewer commuters - Lewes has a lot of them, I'm not sure Eastbourne has so many.

On the other hand, Kirby's done nothing and Brighton has even more. I put that down to him being absolutely useless.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This,you could put a blue rosette on a dog turd in Worthing and the silly old ***** would still vote for it.

Is that not the case for most of the constituencies throughout the land ? It doesn't matter if it is red, blue or whatever the Libs are - most folk, rightly or wrongly, won't be persuaded to change their voting loyalties.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

Is that not the case for most of the constituencies throughout the land ? It doesn't matter if it is red, blue or whatever the Libs are - most folk, rightly or wrongly, won't be persuaded to change their voting loyalties.

except for Brighton?

wakeytom

Apr 14, 2011
The Hacienda
It is a bit strange. I put it down to fewer commuters - Lewes has a lot of them, I'm not sure Eastbourne has so many.

On the other hand, Kirby's done nothing and Brighton has even more. I put that down to him being absolutely useless.

Not sure about that as Polegate and the villages around come under her as well, seems many get on there each morning and I would say its a bit of a commuter hub, more reasonably priced homes along with only 10 mins further than Lewes

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
except for Brighton?

I don't know the exact figure but I am sure that at election time, they always say that the election is usually decided in practice on a minority of floating voters in relatively few constituencies, where the balance is quite tight. In my lifetime, Brighton Kemp Town (is it still called that?) was one of those; one year, quite a long time ago, I am sure that the majority was only 7, after loads of re-counts.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester
Another tory voter (last time at least) looking for someone new. Shame the local majority is about 35% of the total vote. argh

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Not sure about that as Polegate and the villages around come under her as well, seems many get on there each morning and I would say its a bit of a commuter hub, more reasonably priced homes along with only 10 mins further than Lewes

It was only a guess as to why, I don't commute that way so don't see it. I can't work out why she's been so quiet; if there are lots of commuters, it could cost her in a marginal seat

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

I suppose its what you class as a commuter, there are plenty who travel the Hastings to Eastbourne line to get to work as well as many Catholic kids who commute to bexhill. On strike days we have zero trains.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I don't know the exact figure but I am sure that at election time, they always say that the election is usually decided in practice on a minority of floating voters in relatively few constituencies, where the balance is quite tight. In my lifetime, Brighton Kemp Town (is it still called that?) was one of those; one year, quite a long time ago, I am sure that the majority was only 7, after loads of re-counts.

There are about 10 to 30 percent constituencies that change hands. Even in the Labour landslide of 1997, 70 percent of them stayed the same

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I suppose its what you class as a commuter, there are plenty who travel the Hastings to Eastbourne line to get to work as well as many Catholic kids who commute to bexhill. On strike days we have zero trains.

Yeah, that's true. Mrs Gwylan used to commute to Bexhill when she worked there ... long commute from Brighton, considering the distance

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
It was only a guess as to why, I don't commute that way so don't see it. I can't work out why she's been so quiet; if there are lots of commuters, it could cost her in a marginal seat

She's been quiet because she's useless and woefully out of her depth. She got in because a lot of people (me included) who had previously voted for Stephen Lloyd were angry that the LibDems broke thier pledge not to raise tuition fees and went in with the Tories after spending years saying they were the only alternative to them.
You only have to read the comments of the Eastbourne Herald facebook page when they feature her to realise she is held in contempt by a lot of voters here.
So the reason she isn't getting involved is because no-one's told her what her opinion is yet.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Terrible traffic through Worthing now in the mornings.

I'll have to leave 30 minutes earlier from now on :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here