Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Whilst you have STUPID idiots like Peter Bottomley in Parliament still blaming the RMT then nothing will change

Unfortunately the unions are playing into people like his hands though.

As we know the RMT strikes are completely ineffectual now to those that use the service but to the wider public they assume the network is being shut down regularly due to who opens/closes doors. Now that ASLEF have conveniently scheduled their strikes for separate days to the RMT it makes it look especially bad on the unions.

I've been getting taxis every day this week, to and from the station and every taxi driver I have spoken to firmly blames the staff & unions for this and NOT Southern. That is how the general public perceive it.

Claude samdamme

Mar 8, 2014
The situation on friday is normal service (hence the panic!) . Not a strike day but we have no idea what effect any missed overtime may have on the trains. No trains between Lewes and Seaford.

Thanks hotdog

So probably the same as a strike day then! Will role the dice with every other poor sod commuting from London

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest

As we know the RMT strikes are completely ineffectual now to those that use the service but to the wider public they assume the network is being shut down regularly due to who opens/closes doors. Now that ASLEF have conveniently scheduled their strikes for separate days to the RMT it makes it look especially bad on the unions.

I've been getting taxis every day this week, to and from the station and every taxi driver I have spoken to firmly blames the staff & unions for this and NOT Southern. That is how the general public perceive it.

Precisely. Its doing them no favours whatsover. AND PERCEPTION IS KEY here.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Posted this on the Leeds game thread but probably sits better here...

Unfortunately we just missed it this year but 'the twenty-ninth annual general meeting of The Go-Ahead Group plc was held on Thursday 3 November 2016 at 11:00am at the Hilton Newcastle Gateshead, Bottle Bank, Gateshead, NE8 2AR. All resolutions were passed on a poll.'

http://www.go-ahead.com/en/investors...ation/agm.html

With the government now being guilty of a gross dereliction of duty towards the travelling public, could be that the most effective way to take on these people is by actually BECOMING their shareholders and creating merry hell for their board of directors. Buy the minimum number of shares and let them know exactly how you feel?

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Precisely. Its doing them no favours whatsover. AND PERCEPTION IS KEY here.

TBH, I don't think either side care now about the damage that is being done to anyone and anything. It's got like the Somme now, the unions totally entrenched in the trenches, up over the top on strike days and then back to the trenches whilst the Generals (Government/SASTA) sit at the back quaffing gin and tonics not worrying about the casualties.

It really does need someone to take a lead now, get both sides in a room and tell them to thrash out a deal and get back to running a train service and for the Government to stop meddling and stop this stupid smash the unions plan as it won't work.

Who is the person though who will step forward and sort it ? God knows

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
STUPID he may be but most of the public think he's right because the EVEN MORE STUPID RMT and ASLEF fools have played right into SASTA's hands with their strikes

Exactly. Nothing to do with us blame the unions.

Also, and this is key. Maybe ASLEF & the RMT should read Build a Bonfire and We Want Falmer, thats how you bring things to a nations attention without inconveniencing the working man or woman. Me or you. The union say they are but they are not they are just protecting their members at the end of the day.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Thanks hotdog

So probably the same as a strike day then! Will role the dice with every other poor sod commuting from London

I do not envy those who have to make the trip from London. I've got the day off to avoid it. What an utter sh*tstorm this is. I agree with those who think the club should say we can only have televised games at the weekend until the travel situation is sorted out. Any repeat of the Villa debacle will be a bloody scandal.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
TBH, I don't think either side care now about the damage that is being done to anyone and anything. It's got like the Somme now, the unions totally entrenched in the trenches, up over the top on strike days and then back to the trenches whilst the Generals (Government/SASTA) sit at the back quaffing gin and tonics not worrying about the casualties.

It really does need someone to take a lead now, get both sides in a room and tell them to thrash out a deal and get back to running a train service and for the Government to stop meddling and stop this stupid smash the unions plan as it won't work.

Absolutely agree here!

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I reckon that if Southern dare do a repeat of the Villa debacle for the Leeds match, then the club will initiate steps to haul both Southern and the government through the courts.The club's whole business model is based on a fit for purpose public transport system. And unlike ourselves as individual customers that Southern can and do treat with the utmost contempt, the club are a corporate customer with a bit of financial clout, and, more importantly, a proud and recent history of fighting legal battles against numpties who threaten the club's future.

halbpro

Jan 25, 2012
Brighton

Some local Bishops wrote to both sides talking about the damage to communities, and the RMT said they were willing to attend talks brokered by the Bishops. Seems rather unlikely, but it'd be a fantastically weird end to the whole dispute if those talks went ahead and were a success.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne

certainly will not be Grayling

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some local Bishops wrote to both sides talking about the damage to communities, and the RMT said they were willing to attend talks brokered by the Bishops. Seems rather unlikely, but it'd be a fantastically weird end to the whole dispute if those talks went ahead and were a success.

As you say, would be fantastically weird if the local bishops could pull off a result here. Equally bizarre that things have reached such a state that they feel moved to get involved at all. Quite surreal really. It's like we've all slipped into some kind of parallel universe where a company whose only job is to trundle trains up and down a couple of miles of track appears to be utterly incapable of doing so, yet still gets paid. Rest of the world must be laughing at us.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i think the time has come to write to MPs enmasse. they are raising the issue, even the conservative ones, but its falling on deaf ears. give them something to take up the chain, a list of disgruntled constituents that are tired of it all.

keep it short, and not political. note that we will not thank the government for inaction and non-intervention. note Maynards dismissive remarks to Caroline Lucas, reflect an opinion on to all rail passengers. note that the general service is failing on non strike days, so stop using that as an excuse and solve the dispute, but suspending the changes if necessary.

and maybe we should write to the RMT too, to highlight that every day indsturial action goes on, is another day SASTA will use it as an excuse that the government is willing to accept. no strike, no distractions, government has to act.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....

We agree at last,:kiss:

Yoda

English & European

Unfortunately, SASTA have already turned down the clubs offer so what makes you think they will accept from a group of Bishops.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes

taxi drivers tend to weigh the punter up and then tell them what they want to hear

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here