Southern Rail STRIKE details

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Southern
Are
Sorry
To
Announce

But they aren't really as long as all you mugs keep filling their pockets and put up with a shite service

I'm told that Nicholas Soames and Nick Herbert, two Sussex Tory MPs who are equally pissed off with their service, also refer to them as SASTA.

synavm

May 2, 2013
Southern
Are
Sorry
To
Announce

But they aren't really as long as all you mugs keep filling their pockets and put up with a shite service

That's the tragic thing in my eyes, a lot of us don't have much of a choice- move, quit the job or put up with shoddy service. If the railway was a naturally competitive industry we could vote with our feet, alas, it's not.

Many would argue nationalisation would solve the problems, but my worry there is there is still a lack of accountability which really I think is a major root cause of the problems we see- there is no incentive to put on a good service, only incentive to fleece passengers. I wonder if there is any mileage in turning operators and network rail into some kind of co-operative, where ownership, profits and voting rights are shared by customers and employees.

Jul 7, 2003
It doesn't help when the press manage to mis-report the situation (alright, it is only Timmy's chip paper but even so!):

THERE are delays on Southern trains between London and the south coast this morning, due to sickness among conductors and drivers.

Among the changes this morning: The 06.05am Bognor to London, due at 7.52am, is now seven minutes late and will be formed of eight coaches instead of 12.

The 7.02am Three Bridges to London Victoria, due at 8.01am, will be cancelled, due to a shortage of trains.

The 7.44am Brighton to London Victoria, due at 8.55, will be formed of five coaches instead of 10, due to more trains than usual needing repairs at the same time.

No journalist put their name to this piece of rubbish but it shows how the story of sickness being at fault is taken for granted by some, even when their own facts show otherwise.

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
Today was a shower of shit.

6:38 from Hove to Brighton was cancelled so missed the 6:46 from Brighton to Victoria.
Got on the 7:12 from Brighton to Victoria which left on time and seemed to be running smoothly, then they announced that they were now terminating at Gatwick. (No reason given).
Wait 20 minutes at Gatwick before they announce that the train that we're waiting for is cancelled at Haywards Heath.
Go across to another platform and get on a rammed train that stops at about 12 stops between Gatwick and Victoria and finally got into VIctoria about 9:12.

So, only about 2 1/2 hours from Hove to Victoria. It's good stuff.

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

6:38 from Hove to Brighton was cancelled so missed the 6:46 from Brighton to Victoria.
Got on the 7:12 from Brighton to Victoria which left on time and seemed to be running smoothly, then they announced that they were now terminating at Gatwick. (No reason given).
Wait 20 minutes at Gatwick before they announce that the train that we're waiting for is cancelled at Haywards Heath.
Go across to another platform and get on a rammed train that stops at about 12 stops between Gatwick and Victoria and finally got into VIctoria about 9:12.

That is bloody appalling. Have you dropped Caroline Lucas a line? She is gathering as much commuter evidence as possible. It only takes a second to drop her an email.

caroline.lucas.mp@parliament.uk

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill

My son got caught up in this - he was on the same train as you. Official explanation was that there was a crew shortage and the relief driver was delayed because...................................................his train was late!

CherryInHove

Apr 16, 2015
That is bloody appalling. Have you dropped Caroline Lucas a line? She is gathering as much commuter evidence as possible. It only takes a second to drop her an email.

caroline.lucas.mp@parliament.uk

Thanks. Have sent her an e-mail. I removed the swearing from my original post and made it a bit more suitable for an MP to receive. I apologise to the NSC board that I express myself in a different manner when talking to you guys than I do when addressing an MP.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Have you dropped Caroline Lucas a line? She is gathering as much commuter evidence as possible. It only takes a second to drop her an email.

Don't bother with Peter Kyle , he doesn't respond

The trains between London and Brighton have been shocking for several years now and yet only one of our three MPs seems bothered about it. It must be a concern of many of their constituents yet Kirby and Kyle seem happy with the situation as it is

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here