Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

DFL JCL

Jan 8, 2016
No, not since 1988

I guess the obvious question is then if it has been ok for Thameslink since 1988 why is not ok for Southern? Again genuine questions, based on my earlier comments my preference is definitely to have a guard.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I guess the obvious question is then if it has been ok for Thameslink since 1988 why is not ok for Southern? Again genuine questions, based on my earlier comments my preference is definitely to have a guard.

Their trains and stations were designed in the 80's for DOO on the London - Bedford section, the rest crept in but since the 80's numbers of passengers have increased hugely so there should be more staff on trains not less.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Southern trains

Briiliantly random at the moment. Just waited 20 mins for a train (that's like waiting 20 mins for a tube for me)

Our train workers. What's going on with the "sickness", reimagining the role of the conductor etc..

.. And could this company organise a piss up in a brewery ?

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
People might say 'oh well, it's only commuters on trains' but some of those commuters have very important jobs that potentially affect other people's lives and rely on them getting to work on time. Getting effing sorted!!!

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Albion Robster

Jul 21, 2003
North West
image.jpeg

Sent on Twitter earlier today.

Jul 7, 2003
4 Conductors out of a roster of 116 at Brighton sick at the moment .

Any idea of the figures for Bognor as they seem to be blaming that depot for the majority of Coastway West cancellations? Is it just as low?

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
I have ranted on Facebook about my SASTA experience today, but they really are a crock of shit from top to bottom.

My train 723 from RDH to VIC - Cancelled. 740 to LBG then delayed. 753 to VIC ten minutes late, arriving 20 minutes late.

And incredibly, that shockingly gash service was worse in the evening.

619 from VIC to RDH cancelled owing to staff shortages. Yes, incredible isn't it? So the next direct train was due to leave at 649. At 651 the guard announced there was a delay whilst the driver went to the LOO. We eventually left VIC at 706.

I think that just about sums up the contempt pretty much everyone in that company holds the "customer". Everyone, from the militant, rude pricks on the coal face to the incompetent nobs stealing a living from their ivory towers who can't even organise a staff rota, never mind a fleet of trains - most of which they bought despite being made of tin foil.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
I have ranted on Facebook about my SASTA experience today, but they really are a crock of shit from top to bottom.

My train 723 from RDH to VIC - Cancelled. 740 to LBG then delayed. 753 to VIC ten minutes late, arriving 20 minutes late.

And incredibly, that shockingly gash service was worse in the evening.

619 from VIC to RDH cancelled owing to staff shortages. Yes, incredible isn't it? So the next direct train was due to leave at 649. At 651 the guard announced there was a delay whilst the driver went to the LOO. We eventually left VIC at 706.

I think that just about sums up the contempt pretty much everyone in that company holds the "customer". Everyone, from the militant, rude pricks on the coal face to the incompetent nobs stealing a living from their ivory towers who can't even organise a staff rota, never mind a fleet of trains - most of which they bought despite being made of tin foil.

I think I saw that post, was shown it after I made a similar rant to my friends a few days back. I made sure of demanding my refund earlier today, anything that shows my fury at the incompetence of GTR

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Petition signed.
This morning at Balcombe where even in peak there are only 3 trains an hour - 7.26 cancelled, 7.59 cancelled, so stopped an extra train at 7.50 (arrived 7.55). There was NO WAY I could get on this train, physically impossible. Loads on the station very annoyed. I finally got to work at 9.40.
Every single day the train home is delayed by 10 or 15 minutes, EVERY DAY. This just seems to be an accepted norm now. No other 'first world' country would accept this level of constantly shit service.

Big G

Dec 14, 2005
Brighton
Briiliantly random at the moment. Just waited 20 mins for a train (that's like waiting 20 mins for a tube for me)

Our train workers. What's going on with the "sickness", reimagining the role of the conductor etc..

.. And could this company organise a piss up in a brewery ?

No they could not is the answer!!
Conductors now and the drivers soon to strike. They've pissed off every possible employee with their idiotic proposals based on nothing more than profit making!!
Utter disaster giving them the franchise, should be stripped from them ASAP!!!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Should never have been privatised - but that genie is out of the bottle now, and won't be put back, thanks to John Major's disastrous premiership. No real 'railwaymen' any more - the privatised franchises didn't want people like that, and got rid as soon as they could. Though to be fair, British Rail had done a fair bit towards getting rid of real railwaymen before that too.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I've got to know a number is Southern up here. Ones that man the platform.The customer facing ones who take abuse in the morning. Great bunch. Take the time to know their passengers. On a few occasions I've actually been approached to tell me my train is going to be late because they remember where I am going.

That's quite something in London.

But I've come to know the crap they have to deal with. They very often genuinely don't know what it going on because the information they are given is often wrong or non existent.

You often get better information on your phone. As the company hasn't given them tablets - they rely on hoping someone is on the end of a walkie talkie or have to rush back to their office to check an email.

This leads them to being abused. Witnessed if tonight at Clapham Junction. Stepped in and corrected an irate commuter explaining that the bloke from Southern he had been rude to genuinely didn't know when the next train was coming in - he wasn't being difficult.

My experience of the staff is they are a credit to their company dealing daily with the complete disconnection of their industry - often as bemused as we are.

We treat them as if they are a single entity and should expect them sometimes to be a bit pissed off as I would be if someone came banging on my door to complain about my neighbour.

They are not the face of the railways - just the bit their badly run company carved off.

For 99% of the year they ensure millions of people get to work. A selfless often invisible task.

Southern I like your staff - I just wish you liked them a little bit more.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here