Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southern Rail STRIKE details

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Thanks. Have sent her an e-mail. I removed the swearing from my original post and made it a bit more suitable for an MP to receive. I apologise to the NSC board that I express myself in a different manner when talking to you guys than I do when addressing an MP.

Simon kirby is not going to rock the boat with his party.

Kyle I think has been vocal in his criticism of the train company

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Simon kirby is not going to rock the boat with his party.

Kyle I think has been vocal in his criticism of the train company

The Prime Minister has taken it upon himself to criticise Southern in the House of Commons. Even though Nick Herbert (MP for Arundel and South Downs) managed to secure a Commons debate on Southern's record - and their performance received widespread condemnation, the notion of 'privatisation' creeps in. And this is the current government's goal - privatise. However, the current model certainly doesn't meet with universal approval.

Nick Herbert (C):I do not choose to attack privatisation in itself, which has resulted in significantly increased investment in the railways—there has been a huge increase in the number of passengers. However, given the split between the operating companies and the entity that owns the track and is responsible for signalling, effective co-operation between the two and effective communication to passengers are important. The very fact that I secured this debate singling out Southern is a reflection of the attitude that our constituents will have: first, they hold the train operating company accountable. The fact is that we need a joined-up service from the rail industry as a whole.

http://www.nicholassoames.org.uk/content/parliamentary-debate-performance-southern-railway

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Thanks. Have sent her an e-mail. I removed the swearing from my original post and made it a bit more suitable for an MP to receive. I apologise to the NSC board that I express myself in a different manner when talking to you guys than I do when addressing an MP.

Iz u sayin we iz common like or wot ?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Peter Kyle's email back to me contained the line

"In relation to the overall performance of Southern, I too agree that the service provided over the last year has been simply unacceptable. I have challenged the Rail Minister in the Commons over this on a number of occasions and will continue to do so."

It was a long-ish email and replied back to me at roughly the same time Southern did. He's definitely not just sitting there. On the other hand he doesn't fully agree with [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] regarding the role of "on board train staff" in the future. I have to say - and I'm a classic Blairite social democrat - that I agree with Ernest here and not the MP. If people with years of experience on the railways are saying DOO will be dangerous then it WILL be dangerous. We've seen how bad the loading and dispatching can get at Albion matches and that's with guards and trained staff. Imagine trying to get the doors shut on a service immediately after a huge mid-week game at The Amex using just in-cab CCTV....

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Southern publish sickness stars since April

ttps://t.co/9L8uch4L2P

They've also said 'there is no ban on rest day working'

albionite

May 20, 2009
Southern publish sickness stars since April

ttps://t.co/9L8uch4L2P

They've also said 'there is no ban on rest day working'
So out of 300 odd conductors on southern they have taken a 1000 days of sick in a month. Gtr should try to make their lies more believable.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
So out of 300 odd conductors on southern they have taken a 1000 days of sick in a month. Gtr should try to make their lies more believable.

Have they produced the figures of the number of Conductors working rest days and overtime before and after the strike ? Since they say they haven't banned it it will be interesting to see

Aug 11, 2003
The Open Market
Fair enough. He hasn't been quite as visible as Caroline Lucas ... but then, I don't use Hove station all that often

When they talk about 'the Brighton Line', it's a terminus in her constituency, so it's vital she is pro-active, and thankfully she has been.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
16.17 Vic to Littlehampton terminated at Haywards Heath. Useless

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
Did you get a free refill ?

Sadly I can't give you an eye witness account and I missed the worst of the delay by hopping onto the Victoria train at Hove.

I also have no idea why they couldn't just kick the two 'clowns' off at Hove rather than inconvenience the hundreds of others on the train.

For what it's worth Peter Kyle responds whenever I tweet him about Southern- he does seem concerned.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

what is not believable? i reckon thats 18000 man days (counting 2 8 hr shifts a day, probably underestimating), so thats 5.5%. which doesnt even sound particulalry unusual.

and should be easily covered by staff on call, rota'd for sick cover etc. presumably the problem is down to the refusal to give/take overtime, not the sickness itself.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here