Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Southampton

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
When we got Sharp he was no where near fit enough to be in our starting 11, we are one of, if not the fittest team in the league and Sharp has to earn his place! He's got to fit in with our style of play as well which he has now started to do in his last couple of appearances. He was incidently our best player at Upton Park a few games ago. Unfortunately for him he also has to contend the place with Tadanari Lee and Guly. You can't drop players that are playing well! Lee has been a revelation, a somewhat unknown entity, his enthusiasm, drive and commitment is something i've never seen before, he literally chases everything down - A very good bit of business, an international player on a free. Guly has also been in form getting assists and goals all season. He can't really be dropped.

However I imagine in the coming weeks Sharp will feature more as Lee is now carrying a knock and Guly may drop back to RM. Either way we are absolutely delighted with the options and fire power we have up top! I would be delighted if he only scored 1 goal, if it took us up would have paid his transfer fee 40x over.

if we were to go up I believe we would need 5 new players for the squad.

1 x GK
1 x RB
1 x CB
1 x RM
1 x CM

Think you're probably right. I know he's played a couple of blinders lately, but I really don't rate Kelvin Davis, he seems to make a few too many mistakes these days. I would be amazed if the likes of Hammond, and (inevitably) Harding were good enough for the Premier League. I thought Cork looked very good from what I've seen, seems to have a bit of class about him. Lambert will probably do a Holt, score a few, annoy the hell out of the weaker teams in the PL. Lallana should thrive (cue stupid, Premier League-obsessed TV analysts like Hansen & Lawrenson talking about him like he's some kind of previously unheard of diamond who has only just come to the fore).

The rest, I haven't a clue, not so many household names there.

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I personally have no issue with Southampton as a whole, but have massive issue with Nigel Adkins and Dan Harding (but from what I've heard the Southampton fans have major issue with him to). I know most of you would argue their fans are cocky, but considering what most of us lot were like last season can we honestly really have a go at them for that?

Also it doesn't matter their entire team is revolved around Lambert, point is they get the best out of him and they have been very consistent this season. Out of everybody in the league them and Reading are the two teams who deserve to go up the most. West Ham have had their chances, and have bottled going to the top of the league so many times.

And think of it this way. If you all hate them as much as you claim to, at least they will be gone from our league next season and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I personally have no issue with Southampton as a whole, but have massive issue with Nigel Adkins and Dan Harding (but from what I've heard the Southampton fans have major issue with him to). I know most of you would argue their fans are cocky, but considering what most of us lot were like last season can we honestly really have a go at them for that?

Also it doesn't matter their entire team is revolved around Lambert, point is they get the best out of him and they have been very consistent this season. Out of everybody in the league them and Reading are the two teams who deserve to go up the most. West Ham have had their chances, and have bottled going to the top of the league so many times.

And think of it this way. If you all hate them as much as you claim to, at least they will be gone from our league next season and you won't have to worry about it anymore.

I don't hate anyone, I dislike them with a passion... nothing to do with the current squad, club, venue. I have just one thing to say. Saturday 29 April, 1978. Cheats prosper.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
I was there; it was embarassing. But.... time to move on, I think.

I don't begrudge the Saints fans their moment (and for their sake I hope it's a little more...) in the sun. Their manager is effective - but not likeable. But hey, who cares - forget him .... always remember where this club is now - and where we were thanks to Archer and co. 15 years ago!

Be happy!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
Looks to me like the Soton fella has tricked the ref by hooking his arm under the defender's and lifting it up. The defender looks shocked as he obviously didn't mean to have his arm up there.

I've seen it before quite a few times, usually with penalties given near the end of a game.

Which defender would you be talking about?

0,,10280~10614491,00.jpg

brightonlass2009

Sports sports sports!
I was there; it was embarassing. But.... time to move on, I think.

I don't begrudge the Saints fans their moment (and for their sake I hope it's a little more...) in the sun. Their manager is effective - but not likeable. But hey, who cares - forget him .... always remember where this club is now - and where we were thanks to Archer and co. 15 years ago!

Be happy!

This!

D

Deleted member 18477

The sooner southampton are in a different league to us the better.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Which defender would you be talking about?

0,,10280~10614491,00.jpg

I saw only the TV replay, and I couldn't for the life of me work out which Southampton defender was supposed to have handled the ball :lolol:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Can I be a devils advocate here? Is it possible the ball has been headed by the Stains player (out of sight) and the ball is already goal-ward bound and that outstretched hand could actually be nowhere near the ball? I'm just looking at angles, didn't watch the game.

klaaturberada

Jan 2, 2011
Can I be a devils advocate here? Is it possible the ball has been headed by the Stains player (out of sight) and the ball is already goal-ward bound and that outstretched hand could actually be nowhere near the ball? I'm just looking at angles, didn't watch the game.
Yes it is possible.....until you watch the footage. Ball comes over from a corner and Dunne (the defender) palms it over the bar. One of those completely inexplicable moments of lunacy you see from time to time.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Yes it is possible.....until you watch the footage. Ball comes over from a corner and Dunne (the defender) palms it over the bar. One of those completely inexplicable moments of lunacy you see from time to time.

I must admit to having a couple of those inexplicable moments myself when playing footy, including 'saving' a ball that was going wide, and I wasn't the keeper!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here