Southampton

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
According to Merson it was actually a Southampton player who handled on for the 2nd penalty incident. They do seem to get major refereeing decisions almost every game.

and later when he narrated the goals being shown he took that back and said he (Merson that is) needed glasses. They were both stone wallers although in fairness the second one was a gift for their defender. Weve had luck on our side both today and the Leeds away game but it evens itself out - I can point at loads of poor luck away from home earlier in the season.

What utter pricks some of you on here are. Lording it up all season about how were deffo gonna slide at the end of the season. No need to cry just coz you'll be 9th tomorrow.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Southampton are better equipped than us for Premier League football. Our time will come. I wish Southampton well.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
The question is are Saints good enough for the Premier League , the question that should be asked is Fat Rickey good enough for the Premier League ? #onemanband

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
and later when he narrated the goals being shown he took that back and said he (Merson that is) needed glasses. They were both stone wallers although in fairness the second one was a gift for their defender.

Looks to me like the Soton fella has tricked the ref by hooking his arm under the defender's and lifting it up. The defender looks shocked as he obviously didn't mean to have his arm up there.

I've seen it before quite a few times, usually with penalties given near the end of a game.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
Little bit harsh to say Southampton are a one man team, in fact I'd say that Lallana is a far more valuable player to them than Lambert is anyway. And there's no doubting they've got the money behind them to spend big if they get promoted this year, I think they'd do quite well.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
As much as I dislike Southampton and detest Adkins, they deserve to be where they are and will be interesting to see in the Premier League. It doesn't even matter if they are a one man team; your target man is supposed to be banging them in week in, week out. If Lambert goes down, they have Sharp to replace him.

That being said, it was very nice to get the 3-0 over them at the Amex. Rewrote every wrong that had been dealt at St. Mary's. Our season is proving that we're not quite the small club Saints fans would have us believe.

cunningplan

Apr 1, 2011
Sussex Coast
Yes - Saints have a good chance of clinching the title; they and their manager will not be popular Champions, because past gracelessness and arrogance. But I shouldn't think that will bother them one bit - and if they get it - they deserve it. I am sure we can show them what a generous spirit actually is!! Just hope they don't expect a guard of honour if they are champions before the end of the season.
Our star is rising, whether it be this season or one or two hence!!

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
The question is are Saints good enough for the Premier League , the question that should be asked is Fat Rickey good enough for the Premier League ? #onemanband

To be fair, plenty of people didn't think he'd be good enough when he left Rovers to join Saints. Then after last season, many (me included) couldn't see him excelling at this level due to his lack of pace. But he's proved everyone wrong. Nobody thought Grant Holt would make the step up, either to the Championship, then to the Premier League. Alright, he's not scored tons in the PL, but he's done OK. Lambert will probably do the same.

Personally I stopped caring about Saints after the title last season was secured (so, about January then). I think it would be mildly amusing if they and Reading took the automatic promotion places (on the basis that there are only three likely to be three teams chasing it). West Ham have been dull as ditchwater, and hugely unimpressive all season. They absolutely mugged us at the Amex, they're one of those teams that grinds out draws and wins almost without anybody noticing. They're only up there because they somehow managed to keep a fair few of the players who were PL regulars, and signed Nolan on forty odd thousand a week. I think the other two are at least (in the main) decent to watch, and score more goals. I would laugh heartily if Allardyce and his bunch of cloggers had to spend another season slumming it in the Championship.

Incidentally, resident Saints fans, what's happened to Sharp? Doesn't seem like he's done much yet, purely on the one goal (?) scored, so is he doing his usual trick whereby he's only any good as the main man at a little club, or can he actually come good at a club where he's not the star player?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
They've had 9 penalties so far this season (from what I can see), you had 13 penalties last season so you cannot complain too much.

Typical Palace fan, talking absolute horseshit.

We had sixteen, of which we missed eight. You'd probably be thrilled with that conversion rate, mind.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Can't bring myself to say it, I'm afraid. But then I've always hated them. On a par with Palace for me.

This... really, really dislike them with a passion, geeky physio or not. Lambert FC will fall of it's wheels next season when either their prize asset is sold or in the distasteful event that they are prmoted they are found wanting as he can't do it one handedly. Didn't their bad spell coincide with his suspension?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
This... really, really dislike them with a passion, geeky physio or not. Lambert FC will fall of it's wheels next season when either their prize asset is sold or in the distasteful event that they are prmoted they are found wanting as he can't do it one handedly. Didn't their bad spell coincide with his suspension?

Bit unfair to call them a one man team. If you're going to be that picky, it's a two man team (Lallana as well as Lambert). I doubt very much they'll sell them, they presumably don't need the money and unless Liverpool come in- which I suppose is a possibility given Dalglish's record for paying ridiculous sums for big lumbering centre forwards- why would Lambert go to a mid ranking, Sunderland-type team when he's got just as much chance of succeeding at St Mary's?

Bowers-sfc

forever red, never blue
Feb 20, 2011

you mean when we won 2 out of the 3 games? away from home? and scored five? you are a twat

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
Incidentally, resident Saints fans, what's happened to Sharp? Doesn't seem like he's done much yet, purely on the one goal (?) scored, so is he doing his usual trick whereby he's only any good as the main man at a little club, or can he actually come good at a club where he's not the star player?

When we got Sharp he was no where near fit enough to be in our starting 11, we are one of, if not the fittest team in the league and Sharp has to earn his place! He's got to fit in with our style of play as well which he has now started to do in his last couple of appearances. He was incidently our best player at Upton Park a few games ago. Unfortunately for him he also has to contend the place with Tadanari Lee and Guly. You can't drop players that are playing well! Lee has been a revelation, a somewhat unknown entity, his enthusiasm, drive and commitment is something i've never seen before, he literally chases everything down - A very good bit of business, an international player on a free. Guly has also been in form getting assists and goals all season. He can't really be dropped.

However I imagine in the coming weeks Sharp will feature more as Lee is now carrying a knock and Guly may drop back to RM. Either way we are absolutely delighted with the options and fire power we have up top! I would be delighted if he only scored 1 goal, if it took us up would have paid his transfer fee 40x over.

if we were to go up I believe we would need 5 new players for the squad.

1 x GK
1 x RB
1 x CB
1 x RM
1 x CM

JJB

Mar 16, 2011
New Forest
you mean when we won 2 out of the 3 games? away from home? and scored five? you are a twat

Don't quite think there's the need for that. But you are correct with the first part.

Our dip in form coincided more with Fonte, Lallana, Chaplow etc... injuries. We were playing with bare bones through January and part of December.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

And you my friend are a keyboard warrior with abusive cowardly tendencies. You may not have noticed whilst you were exploding in red and salivating all over you chin that I asked a question regarding when your bad spell coincided because I was aware it was there or thereabouts. So wind your neck in, stop being an internet hard man and try answering in a more coherent fashion as I can see the thermometer in your head going off the scales from here. Deep breaths scummer, deep breaths.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Bit unfair to call them a one man team. If you're going to be that picky, it's a two man team (Lallana as well as Lambert). I doubt very much they'll sell them, they presumably don't need the money and unless Liverpool come in- which I suppose is a possibility given Dalglish's record for paying ridiculous sums for big lumbering centre forwards- why would Lambert go to a mid ranking, Sunderland-type team when he's got just as much chance of succeeding at St Mary's?

I was thinking Liverpool actually, and to be fair it wouldn't be down to the club not wanting to sell, if he had his mind set on a move there is little the club would be able to do about it really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports