LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex

apparently a very quick way for a man to lose his anal virginity.[/QUOTE]

we all lost that when The Goldstone was pulled down

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
well i cant wait for SA,f*** me the attitudes of some people on this thread would have you think they never go anywhere exciting,boring sods! iv been travelling in Aus,Thailand,Colombia,Peru,Brazil etc and iv still seen more violence in London,Birmingham etc

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
well i cant wait for SA,f*** me the attitudes of some people on this thread would have you think they never go anywhere exciting,boring sods! iv been travelling in Aus,Thailand,Colombia,Peru,Brazil etc and iv still seen more violence in London,Birmingham etc

23,000 murders in the year I was there. I think you should know where NOT to go thats all.

I was in SA at the start of december, and am going back in a week as it happens, and in the 2 weeks I was there there were 2 police chases involving shootouts within about 1/2 a mile of my fathers house.

The Joburg suberb he lives in probably the equivalent of Wilmslow or Altrincham, not some inner city ghetto.

I recommend going to SA but I would seriously recommend that you take care, lock your car doors at night and don't walk around after dark flashing money and/or expensive goods. It's safe if you exercise basic safety precautions but take some advice from those of us who actually know the place and either live there or visit regularly.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
23,000 murders in the year I was there. I think you should know where NOT to go thats all.

yeah i agree some places you just DO NOT GO TO! for instance i wouldnt strutt around hillbrow with 2 mates at 11pm but to see the world you have to go to/through some sketchy places,its part of the experience.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
yeah i agree some places you just DO NOT GO TO! for instance i wouldnt strutt around hillbrow with 2 mates at 11pm but to see the world you have to go to/through some sketchy places,its part of the experience.

I agree. I had young kids when I was there and had to be savvy. Its when you get pissed and drop your guard and your senses that shit can happen. Anyway I envy you, I wish I was going. Strolling along The V and A waterfront, cold beer in hand after an England victory.................. Oh yes.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I recommend going to SA but I would seriously recommend that you take care, lock your car doors at night and don't walk around after dark flashing money and/or expensive goods. It's safe if you exercise basic safety precautions but take some advice from those of us who actually know the place and either live there or visit regularly.
which is exactly why it shouldnt be held there in the first place, people want to go away and relax , not constantly having to take 'safety precautions'.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I was in SA at the start of december, and am going back in a week as it happens, and in the 2 weeks I was there there were 2 police chases involving shootouts within about 1/2 a mile of my fathers house.

The Joburg suberb he lives in probably the equivalent of Wilmslow or Altrincham, not some inner city ghetto.

I am more than happy to pay for you to go over there drinking though. Just let me know where to send the cheque and I will post it today - promise.
I would rather slam my cock in a fire door than visit south africa, world cup or no world cup.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Would love to go and visit Rorkes Drift - but will have to say no to a burning tyre round my neck after being robbed, beaten and raped

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
which is exactly why it shouldnt be held there in the first place, people want to go away and relax , not constantly having to take 'safety precautions'.
I must admit I tend to agree. KNZ has used West Street at 1:00am as an example of somewhere it can be 'unsafe' to walk along and, yes, it can be an unpleasant experience and visitors should be warned not to do it. But even at its very worst you don't need to carry a gun to walk down West Street nor have a car equipped with a flame-thrower. Also no snipers will shoot at you, no one will put a blazing car tyre round your neck and no one will drop a fridge on you. (All things that have been nmentioned as potential hazards in S.A.) Yes there can be stabbings and deaths in Britain, but nothing like 23,000 murders a year.

As you say you've gone there for a football tournament, not to take part in some sort of extreme urban survival exercise.

LA1972

May 20, 2009
West Sussex
Why not have the world cup in Afganistan - but be warned prices have gone up since they got the euro

Last edited:

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Maybe I am being overcautious about travel but SA is one place I just wouldn't bother with. Just the stories I have heard would have me on edge the entire time, rape, theft, shootings, their prisons, their police etc. Why bother going somewhere if you perceive you are going to be threatened, nomatter how real or false that threat is.

Of course you can get into strife in the UK but at least you know in most cases there would be help here, our Police are very reasonable, passers by are more willing to help despite Daily Mail headlines, and you know where to go and where not to go.

A holiday in SA? Not on your nelly flowerpot.

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I must admit I tend to agree. KNZ has used West Street at 1:00am as an example of somewhere it can be 'unsafe' to walk along and, yes, it can be an unpleasant experience and visitors should be warned not to do it. But even at its very worst you don't need to carry a gun to walk down West Street nor have a car equipped with a flame-thrower. Also no snipers will shoot at you, no one will put a blazing car tyre round your neck and no one will drop a fridge on you. (All things that have been nmentioned as potential hazards in S.A.) Yes there can be stabbings and deaths in Britain, but nothing like 23,000 murders a year.

As you say you've gone there for a football tournament, not to take part in some sort of extreme urban survival exercise.

But some comments on this thread make it sound like this happens everywhere, all of the time. I do not know whether the things mentioned here are true or not. I have never seen a car equipped with a flamethrower, nor have I or know anyone who has been shot at by snipers, nor do I feel the need to carry a gun. I have not been robbed, mugged, held up at gunpoint or anything. In fact, I have had more stolen out of my car in Brighton Station Car Park than I have had stolen here.

If you believe everything that you read and hear about SA, I should have been murdered at least 6 times today already!! If I were to have the same perspective on the UK, I would expect a sink to be dropped on me by an 11 year old child if I were to visit Edlington, or I would expect to be stabbed by gangs of youths if I were to visit South London. All I ask is some perpective people, that's all.

If people don't want to come because they are paranoid that they will be murdered, raped, set on fire etc, then don't come. A lot of the stories that you hear from SA are fueled by paranoia, usually from people who left the country years ago. This does not mean that something like these things have not happened, but they are not happening all of the time, all over the country. If they were, no-one would come here.

This is NOT an exteme urban survival exercise. This is a rewarding country with some fantastic, happy people living here. Thousands of tourists return here year after year. I would much rather live here than back in the UK. Shit happens everywhere, not just here. Just be sensible and have some perspective.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here