Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] South Africa V England 1st Test

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
The Bairstow drop holds me to my view on the keeping position.

I'd rather have a keeper who averages 20 with the bat, and takes a sharp chance off Amla before he's barely scored, than one who averages 35 and drops him.

The England keeper should always be the best the County Championship has to offer.

Unfortunately England, as with many other countries, feel an international keeper has to have a large dose of Adam Gilchrist to get picked.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Unfortunately England, as with many other countries, feel an international keeper has to have a large dose of Adam Gilchrist to get picked.

We had two outstanding keepers in Chris Read and James Foster, but averaging 25 yet taking crucial catches is not considered enough.

Think back to Bob Taylor, one of the best keepers ever seen, he wouldn't get near the England side these days. Even Knotty would have had his place under threat. Ridiculous.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Broad was fantastic today. Barely a loose ball and tested every batter he came up against.

Guess Alec Stewart was our first real batsman who kept a bit. Turned himself into a decent keeper though.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Broad was fantastic today. Barely a loose ball and tested every batter he came up against.

Guess Alec Stewart was our first real batsman who kept a bit. Turned himself into a decent keeper though.

Alec Stewart never really got the credit he deserved, he was primarily a batsman who could keep then worked his nuts off to be a keeper who could bat. Played at nearly every position from 1-9 and never complained and always gave his all. Took on fast bowling as a challenge never to be shirked and I can remember some of his innings against the West Indies where he was about our only batsman who could play on the front foot in the West Indies. ...... It was once said that if Alec Stewart had been onboard the Titanic he would have gone looking for the leak. An absolute legend .

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Alec Stewart never really got the credit he deserved, he was primarily a batsman who could keep then worked his nuts off to be a keeper who could bat. Played at nearly every position from 1-9 and never complained and always gave his all. Took on fast bowling as a challenge never to be shirked and I can remember some of his innings against the West Indies where he was about our only batsman who could play on the front foot in the West Indies. ...... It was once said that if Alec Stewart had been onboard the Titanic he would have gone looking for the leak. An absolute legend .

Spot on. One of the hardest working, most committed sportsmen I've ever seen.

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Ali will fancy cleaning up the tail here, Abbott looked very uncomfortable from ball 1. 156-7

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
South Africa 214 all out.

6 wickets for 77 runs this morning.

Elgar carries his bat for 118*

Broad 4, Ali 4 and Finn 2.

England lead by 89 on first innings.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I'm claiming credit for that.

I had every intention of getting up this morning in time for the start of today's play but woke up a little late and missed the first 3 wickets. About 10 minutes ago, I went downstairs for a smoke and a dump (non-simultaneously), came back and they're all out. I have successfully missed all 6 wickets this morning.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
England 12-0, leading by 101 and Dale Steyn has pulled up mid-over with what looks like a dodgy shoulder.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Before Steyn pulled up and off I was already thinking this is the weakest South African team I have ever watched, excluding their B team that masqueraded under the guise of the English cricket team a few years back, of course.

Worthingite

Sexy Pete... :D
Sep 16, 2011
Worthing
Seems at the moment that Cook is capable of undoing any good work his bowling unit can conjure up. Is he worth his place any more?

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Seems at the moment that Cook is capable of undoing any good work his bowling unit can conjure up. Is he worth his place any more?
How quick we forget it was in October he batted for two days against Pakistan scoring double century. Great test cricketer and becoming a great captain. First name on the team sheet with Anderson and Broad.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here