Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] South Africa V England 1st Test

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Compton looked good today, as did Taylor. Very encouraging for England, although the new ball is only an hour away. We need Compton to get through until lunch and help see it off.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
WTF !!!!

Got up this morning and we were going quite nicely at 246/5. Go downstairs to make coffee and have a fag, come back upstairs and we're 275/9

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
No surprise for me. We haven't batted well in the bottom order for a long time. If Root and Cook don't get big scores we never get past 300.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Damn. Not sure whether he should have left for Cook, but wicketkeepers generally take those.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The Bairstow drop holds me to my view on the keeping position.

I'd rather have a keeper who averages 20 with the bat, and takes a sharp chance off Amla before he's barely scored, than one who averages 35 and drops him.

The England keeper should always be the best the County Championship has to offer.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
So frustrating that once again we are splling chances behind the wicket. We have enough all rounders to pick our best wicket keeper without compromising our batting.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
Very interestingly poised and a very good example of why Test Cricket is head and shoulders above the shorter forms of the game...

It is a pain in the arse that I am just about to get a taxi to LHR and spend the next 27 hours travelling to NZ so I will miss the whole of tomorrow's play!

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Apparently you can buy tickets for all five days in South Africa for less than a single day's play in England

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Apparently you can buy tickets for all five days in South Africa for less than a single day's play in England

South Africa have just sacked three finance ministers in quick succession which has dramatically affected the strength of the Rand. It's now 24 to £1 which is ridiculous. I've been to Cape Town twice when it's been between 16-18 rand to the pound and even then it was ridiculously cheap. You can probably get a pint for 30p and a quality steak and bottle of wine for a £10.

I'm planning on going again in 4 years time for my 40th would love the Rand to still be this weak but can't see it. I would heartily recommend anyone who wants a bit of winter sun to head over to Cape Town it might cost a bit to get out there, but you will struggle to spend money when you are there plus it's a truly wonderful place.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patron
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
The Bairstow drop holds me to my view on the keeping position.

I'd rather have a keeper who averages 20 with the bat, and takes a sharp chance off Amla before he's barely scored, than one who averages 35 and drops him.

The England keeper should always be the best the County Championship has to offer.
I agree with you, I would always select the best keeper but would expect that player to make the best of their batting talents however limited. I don't think many selectors would agree though. (Incidentally, I don't think Bairstow is a poor keeper by any means - certainly not the best available though)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here