Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some interesting numbers re The Amex...

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Try re-reading my post(all of it), think about the point I am making, and then post again.

I read it adequately the first time, thanks.

Regardless of quickest or slowest, the club are always going to be making concessions to Amex cardholders. I imagine the decision is well measured however, and Albion ST/smart cards are going to far outweigh payment by American Express.

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Queues in the East aren't too bad, I suppose that will change when the east upper tier goes on, or will they have their own?

Anyhow if all revenue estimations have been exceeded, hopefully that will mean a bigger transfer kitty for Gus.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
A group of four of us have been to pretty much every game - north stand. Since November we are down to one pint in the landsdowne and then a round each, the first round of which includes a pie each before the game
another pint at half time - i reckon the group of 4 speand at least 15 quid every trip - the ONLY thing that i have not done is enter the shop - the queues are pretty bad, or certainly seem to be - and that has prevented us going in.

They move that shop queue pretty swiftly !

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town

Regardless of quickest or slowest, the club are always going to be making concessions to Amex cardholders. I imagine the decision is well measured however, and Albion ST/smart cards are going to far outweigh payment by American Express.

Bozza , do you wave your Amex Black card at the minion behind the counter when you get to the front of the queue ???

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Not sure why they decided to scrap the smart card only queues in the WSU middle kiosk around 7pm, they were working pretty well...

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
By CC do you mean credit cards, if so you're wrong as it's charge cards mainly but you don't say CC & CC so you may as well just say cards rather than illustrate ignorance...you undoubtedly won't know either that Amex Card holders spend on average DOUBLE the amount of any other card user, a spectacularly good enough reason to have a dedicated queue

You are right, I didn't mean to specify the card type was lending or charge, I meant Amex cards as a whole. My point was, that I thought the encouragement was there from the club for us to use our smart cards as they do after all, save on the queue time.

You would be suprised how many people use their credit/charge cards in that queue, and queue which I(and perhaps many others) is there to speed up the service.

By the way, the average amex user spends 6x the amount of visa/mastercard users, I know because I work for them! :)

As per above, I expect them to make concessions for Amex customers/staff, I just thought that they would have a smart code only till.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Bozza , do you wave your Amex Black card at the minion behind the counter when you get to the front of the queue ???

I wish!

I use cash loaded onto my Season Ticket (although I think I'm just about out right now), and I struggle to understand why anyone wouldn't do likewise.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Good point, I try to block out children and oldies as neither adds much to the experience.

There are still 3,000 people paying £50+ a match though in the 1901, which has to tilt the average the other way.

What a f***ing stupid attitude if you don't mind me saying. We are talking about revenue here, and us concessions spend as much as everyone else. I usually have a pie and a pint before hand. Then after the match you will find me in the West lower concourse, and I stay for at least 2 pints afterwards. I see a lot of kids with bottles of coke, and plenty of oldies as you put it, probably drink more than you do.

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I wasn't talking about revenue.

I just said kids and old people don't add anything to the football experience for me. But I've chosen my seat in an area where concession tickets are not available for that exact reason, so I'm certainly not complaining. In fact, it's great.

In that case I apologise. It just came across that way, as that is what the thread is about.

It wouldn't surprise me given these stats, that we are making as much money at home games as other teams in this league who have much bigger attendances.

Hearing news like this makes me think we are going to have an exciting transfer window this summer.

Yep - I suggest we buy Zaha and shove him on the ramp up from the station selling programmes.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Good point, I try to block out children and oldies as neither adds much to the experience.

There are still 3,000 people paying £50+ a match though in the 1901, which has to tilt the average the other way.

Don't mean to sound offensive, but what's an oldie in your world? I have a (probably totally inaccurate) impression of NSC users ages by their style. Must admit I pitched you in the 40 to 55 age group for some reason, but I'd pitch an oldie non atmosphere contributor at about 75+. I also suspect I'm in the same non concession block in WSL as you for the same reasons as you although I doubt at 57 my seat buddies would agree that I'm a non contributor!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Club (net of VAT) turnover in the Withdean years trundled along at £4m to £5m, but with The Gus, Champions & Amex feel good factor, it suddenly rose to £7.1m in 2010/11.

I understand they were originally expecting an annual turnover of £15m at the Amex based on a business plan of much lower crowds, but I would imagine with all the aforementioned and unexpected factors in this thread, income for 2011/12 et seq will be vast.

And unlike most clubs, the club's annual interest payable bill is nil.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Yeah I'd agree with 75+, of which there are one or two near me but nothing too problematic. I'm actually 25 rather than 55! But my preferred crowd demographic is middle-aged people, mainly in their 40s and 50s. I'm not really into singing, I prefer to make my noise through abusing the other team and their manager, the referee or even our players, although there obviously hasn't been much justification for that at The Amex yet. Therefore, I quite enjoy being in with what many on this site would class as 'the moaners' rather than 'the singers'. WSL Block F has not disappointed in this area.

I think I'm with you almost across the board, although I enjoy the odd chant. Clearly the keyboard can be a deceptive tool. I've just found out that the nice chap of similar age to me who sits next to me with his wife writes a very professional blog and has already blogged the Reading match. I don't think I can judge anybody anymore, which is a bit of a beggar as it's an important part of my job!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here