Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Some interesting numbers re The Amex...

gripper stebson

Jul 27, 2004
Chatting to my mate on the train last night and he said he'd been talking to an official at the club and was told the following figures.

We have already reached the THIRD YEAR financial projections on match day takings.

The club, after substantial research, had bargained on an average match day spend of 80p per fan. The figures so far show and average spend of just over £4 per fan!!

The benefits of having barely any drinking or eating outlets near the ground I guess.

Good stuff.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
The Amex is simply shattering every expectation that the club and contractors had planned for back in the off-season. Now with a full seasons worth of data to use I expect to see more innovation and improvement next year. I also expect to see other stadia adopt our business model. We even outperform The Emirates in terms of catering on a match day which is incredible!

Djmiles

Barndoor Holroyd
Dec 1, 2005
Kitchener, Canada
Me and my brother are a prime example of why the club are doing much better than expected.

At Withdean, we would arrive 15 mins prior to kick off, get a soft drink, then leave straight after the game.
At The Amex, we arrive an hour early, buy a pie and a pint (or soft drink for evening games), then hang around for a pint or two after the game on Saturdays.

I never expected to be spending £10 a game on refreshments, but it's because of the quality of products available that I do. If they were offering Pukka pies and carling, I would go elsewhere.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I never expected to be spending £10 a game on refreshments, but it's because of the quality of products available that I do. If they were offering Pukka pies and carling, I would go elsewhere. or wouldn't bother

totally 100% this.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Me and my brother are a prime example of why the club are doing much better than expected.

At Withdean, we would arrive 15 mins prior to kick off, get a soft drink, then leave straight after the game.
At The Amex, we arrive an hour early, buy a pie and a pint (or soft drink for evening games), then hang around for a pint or two after the game on Saturdays.

I never expected to be spending £10 a game on refreshments, but it's because of the quality of products available that I do. If they were offering Pukka pies and carling, I would go elsewhere.

I'm with you on this, and fully agree with Hotchilidog above.

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
It wouldn't surprise me given these stats, that we are making as much money at home games as other teams in this league who have much bigger attendances.

Hearing news like this makes me think we are going to have an exciting transfer window this summer.

chucky1973

Nov 3, 2010
Crawley
I reckon we have done over 10m on gate receipts as well, I think over 510,000 people have watched and averaging a ticket price of say £20 each thats over £10m. Not sure if £20 is about right?

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
its an all round excellent experienc and as said above. I always get the the ground an hour before pie/burger couple of pints and have a couple afterwards. Agree with the running out issue - no beer in WSU at 9.45pm??

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Imagine how much money they'd make if they didn't run out of everything.

Yup, that's the biggie they have to deal with. That and the queues. They might well be surpassing their wildest expectations, but its still some way short of what they could be selling. Which will hopefully fire them up for further improvements next season. To be fair though, service and supplies are massively improved from the early games.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
Yup, that's the biggie they have to deal with. That and the queues. They might well be surpassing their wildest expectations, but its still some way short of what they could be selling. Which will hopefully fire them up for further improvements next season. To be fair though, service and supplies are massively improved from the early games.

You would like to think that now they have some hard information to work with that they will be better prepared next year. The main problem they had this year was that all their projections were out by nearly 100% and they were caught completely on the hop. In fairness I think the service in the WSU is pretty decent these days but there is no reason it cannot improve further in 2012/13. yet another reason to look forward to next season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Also, the club shop was doing a roaring trade last night and the queues there have always been horrendous on a match day. Again, the merchandise on sale is far superior to anything on offer in the past.

It's going to be interesting to see how they cope with the additional 5,000 at the gate next season. In fact, next season could break Albion's all time average attendance record.

reigate

Nov 10, 2005
As the cheapest season ticket works out at £17.17 a game, and only 3,500ish people are paying that, with everybody else paying at least £20 a game, I'd say that figure is some way short of the average.

They are the cheapest adults....but there must be a fair number of concessions

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
As the cheapest season ticket works out at £17.17 a game, and only 3,500ish people are paying that, with everybody else paying at least £20 a game, I'd say that figure is some way short of the average.

You've got to take into account kids and OAPs, who pay a lesser rate. And we don't know exactly how many there are of them.

So, without going through the figures, I'd suggest for the sake of this argument an average of around £20 might well be about right.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
You would like to think that now they have some hard information to work with that they will be better prepared next year. The main problem they had this year was that all their projections were out by nearly 100% and they were caught completely on the hop. In fairness I think the service in the WSU is pretty decent these days but there is no reason it cannot improve further in 2012/13. yet another reason to look forward to next season.

And the rest...

Original pie estimate - 1,500 per match. Actual pie sale - avg. 8,500 (peak at 10,500)
Original pints estimate - 4,000 per match. Actual pints sale - avg. 13,500

These figures are rough - but if you average that out over the season, that's over 230,000 pies, and over 375,000 pints. And that's not including corporate events, staff canteen and other assorted stuff.

Last edited:

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
The economic report for the stadium expansion states that 15m would have been spent by supporters and people now employed by the Club (that would have otherwsie been unemployed) within the city leading to the creation of 500 jobs with the expansion predicted to result in another 130 jobs.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here