Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, why do Brighton fans hate Crystal Palace?

ThePaddy

Aug 27, 2013
Palace in the 4th division? Well, they would be playing to one man and his dog.

Lucky for Palace then that their team hasn't been shit enough to drop out of the top two divisions for several decades. You can make up these facts if you want but the problem is that you're basing them on absolutely nothing. 4th tier attendance discussions don't really concern Palace.

Feb 14, 2010
Sorry WCP but I just don't see the difference in the reasons for attendance increases/decreases between the 2 clubs. You're arguing that Palace would get lower crowds if they got relegated as if that's unusual! Do you think it wouldn't happen to Brighton? It did happen to Brighton! Fans are the same all over the country, the more success you get the more fans you get. Brighton and Palace have very similar fan bases. As I said before Brighton are playing in a higher league than in recent years in a new stadium and so no surprise the fans increase, same for Palace. Don't pretend the reasons are different.

No mate, Brighton were ran down then asset striped. There is a difference between that and losing over half your support because you play second tier football. Brighton survived because of its support. Palace greatest boast is they have been insolvent two o three times and so have paid players to keep them in the top two divisions that the size of their support did not justify. Its a b difference between the clubs. Palace as a club do not represent a region like Brighton, its a fundamental difference and explains why Brighton will get big crowds against the Darlington's, Rochdale's and Yeovil's but palace support will drop by over a half if they get relegated next season.

Dec 3, 2012
No mate, Brighton were ran down then asset striped. There is a difference between that and losing over half your support because you play second tier football. Brighton survived because of its support. Palace greatest boast is they have been insolvent two o three times and so have paid players to keep them in the top two divisions that the size of their support did not justify. Its a b difference between the clubs. Palace as a club do not represent a region like Brighton, its a fundamental difference and explains why Brighton will get big crowds against the Darlington's, Rochdale's and Yeovil's but palace support will drop by over a half if they get relegated next season.

What sort of crowds do you think the club (Brighton) would get if they got relegated? Forget the season tickets, I'm talking bums on seats. It would decrease because the attraction and novelty of tier 2 football would be over. Same for Palace. If they get relegated back to their more standard and familiar division (Championship) then they'd be getting less through the gate. All I'm saying is if you put each club in the division that the fans have historically been used to your see about the same crowds. What do you reckon, 15k - 17k average for each club? I'd say that's pretty fair.

EDS

Banned
Nov 11, 2012
What sort of crowds do you think the club (Brighton) would get if they got relegated? Forget the season tickets, I'm talking bums on seats. It would decrease because the attraction and novelty of tier 2 football would be over. Same for Palace. If they get relegated back to their more standard and familiar division (Championship) then they'd be getting less through the gate. All I'm saying is if you put each club in the division that the fans have historically been used to your see about the same crowds. What do you reckon, 15k - 17k average for each club? I'd say that's pretty fair.

You are arguing with a twit who does not even go to watch Brighton but by his own admission goes to watch Chelsea, then calls Palace supporters plastics.
Biggest :tosser: on Nsc

gravnast

Nov 13, 2012
Its one of the big differences between the clubs. Palace have a smaller traditional support than a regional club like a Brighton or Newcastle, or Norwich. As such for alot of their support, its all about Rupert Murdoch's "Premier League" They as such dont understand the valuue of the Southern League / Charity Shield double that made us Champions of England and just dont understand why Brighton would get 34000 for lower leagiue football against Darlington and why we still get bigger gates despite being in a division below. For them its all about the razmataz, the cheerleaders and that is why their fans like to bang drums at games. I think Brighton are just lucky to represent a region / County and so it gives the Albion a natural identity. Palace however have to struggle to try and find one and so that is why its the Premier League or nothing for over half of their support. Its harsh to say but its true, they just wouldnt have mounted the same campaign that we did with Archer and they would never have survived a 140 mile round trip exile why in the lowest league. Palace just dont mean that much to their catchment area, hence over half their support will disappear next season if they get relegated. Palace in the 4th division? Well, they would be playing to one man and his dog.

The rivalry between our clubs mean nothing to me I class Pompey as more of a rival. But you are talking crap mate, my brother is a Palace fan and they used to get huge gates in the 1970's and it was only when Mullery took over there that gates dropped(wel done Mullers :)) You do also realise they hold the highest gate for a old 4th division match against Millwall? Late 30 odd thousand I believe im sure some Palace fan will give me the exact figure! But working class pride you are talking bullshit and thats what annoys me in any debate on this site fans on both sides talk crap due to their blinkered rivalry

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
The rivalry between our clubs mean nothing to me I class Pompey as more of a rival. But you are talking crap mate, my brother is a Palace fan and they used to get huge gates in the 1970's and it was only when Mullery took over there that gates dropped(wel done Mullers :)) You do also realise they hold the highest gate for a old 4th division match against Millwall? Late 30 odd thousand I believe im sure some Palace fan will give me the exact figure! But working class pride you are talking bullshit and thats what annoys me in any debate on this site fans on both sides talk crap due to their blinkered rivalry
37774 Palace v Millwall.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

I'm sure some Palace fan will give the exact figure.

37774 Palace v Millwall.

???

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Lucky for Palace then that their team hasn't been shit enough to drop out of the top two divisions for several decades. You can make up these facts if you want but the problem is that you're basing them on absolutely nothing. 4th tier attendance discussions don't really concern Palace.

I agree. Lucky indeed that Palace have been able in the past to field players thay couldn't afford, payed for by debt defaults, to artificially improve their league position.

Very, very lucky.

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
I agree. Lucky indeed that Palace have been able in the past to field players thay couldn't afford, payed for by debt defaults, to artificially improve their league position.

Very, very lucky.

Just because clubs spend money doesn't mean it will bring guaranteed success, if that was the case then the top 20 wealthiest clubs in the country would be in the Premiership.

The only players we spent big on (both transfer fees and wages) during Simon Jordan's era where Akinbyi, Kuqi and Macken and they all turned out to be utter utter sh*t and lost us more points than they gained us, I can assure you of that. If we hadn't of spent money on these players and maybe instead developed youth or had bought cheaply from the lower leagues, like we have successfully done under CPFC 2010, we more than likely actually would have been better off.

Your fans know very little about our admin under Jordan, FACT. We had a debt that was unexpectedly called in all at once by an aggressive hedge fund, it was not a standard admin. Yes, we were living beyond our means but so is your club (and most clubs in the country), you are posting heavy loses each season of around £8 million pounds and this if anything is going to go up when your loses are announced around April-May. The only difference is you have someone who is willing to fund the loses in Tony Bloom whereas we had to rely on a loan from a 3rd party that was immoral and called it in early and with no notice thus leaving us up sh*t creek.

It's pathetic when you all say we were immoral and looking to overspend and rip people off intentially, what would be the point of over-spending if we couldn't afford it, it would only end up in admin if we didn’t get promoted. Simon Jordan was many things but he wasn't someone who intentially would jeopodise the future of Palace by gambaling on a hope at getting into the Prem. It was a combination of things from relegation from the Prem, unexpected crowd drops, rising inflation and the credit crunch crisis that caused our admin.

Your fans constant harping on about our administrations is purely a coping mechanism to help you feel better about how cr*p your own club have been over the years. If you look at the team we had that beat you last year it cost less than Ulloa so what's your excuse this time? ???

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Just because clubs spend money doesn't mean it will bring guaranteed success, if that was the case then the top 20 wealthiest clubs in the country would be in the Premiership.

The only players we spent big on (both transfer fees and wages) during Simon Jordan's era where Akinbyi, Kuqi and Macken and they all turned out to be utter utter sh*t and lost us more points than they gained us, I can assure you of that. If we hadn't of spent money on these players and maybe instead developed youth or had bought cheaply from the lower leagues, like we have successfully done under CPFC 2010, we more than likely actually would have been better off.

Your fans know very little about our admin under Jordan, FACT. We had a debt that was unexpectedly called in all at once by an aggressive hedge fund, it was not a standard admin. Yes, we were living beyond our means but so is your club (and most clubs in the country), you are posting heavy loses each season of around £8 million pounds and this if anything is going to go up when you loses are announced around April-May. The only difference is you have someone who is willing to fund the loses in Tony Bloom whereas we had to rely on a loan from a 3rd party that was immoral and called it in early and with no notice thus leaving us up sh*t creek.

It's pathetic when you all say we were immoral and looking to overspend and rip people off intentially, what would be the point of over-spending if we couldn't afford it, it would only end up in admin if we didn’t get promoted. Simon Jordan was many things but he wasn't someone who intentially would jeopodise the future of Palace by gambaling on a hope at getting into the Prem. It was a combination of things from relegation from the Prem, unexpected crowd drops, rising inflation and the credit crunch that caused our admin.

Your fans constant harping on about our administrations is purely a coping mechanism to help you feel better about how cr*p your own club have been over the years. If you look at the team we had that beat you last year it cost less than Ulloa so what's your excuse this time? ???

That was the 2nd time you went in to administration. What is your excuse for the first time you went in to administration?

5 Zero

Jul 13, 2011
That was the 2nd time you went in to administration. What is your excuse for the first time you went in to administration?

A bloke who had good intentions at heart but had no idea on how to run a football club, Mark Goldberg. People like Venables and agents took advantage of him.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
A bloke who had good intentions at heart but had no idea on how to run a football club, Mark Goldberg. People like Venables and agents took advantage of him.

That's OK then I am sure all the companies and people who you did not pay at the time and suffered for it, are happy for you now.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

You just don't get it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

Your fans know very little about our admin under Jordan, FACT. We had a debt that was unexpectedly called in all at once by an aggressive hedge fund, it was not a standard admin. Yes, we were living beyond our means but so is your club (and most clubs in the country), you are posting heavy loses each season of around £8 million pounds and this if anything is going to go up when your loses are announced around April-May. The only difference is you have someone who is willing to fund the loses in Tony Bloom whereas we had to rely on a loan from a 3rd party that was immoral and called it in early and with no notice thus leaving us up sh*t creek.

It's pathetic when you all say we were immoral and looking to overspend and rip people off intentially, what would be the point of over-spending if we couldn't afford it, it would only end up in admin if we didn’t get promoted. Simon Jordan was many things but he wasn't someone who intentially would jeopodise the future of Palace by gambaling on a hope at getting into the Prem. It was a combination of things from relegation from the Prem, unexpected crowd drops, rising inflation and the credit crunch crisis that caused our admin.

Another who just doesn't get it.

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Their club remind me of one of those people that buy a yacht and a Ferrari all on debt they can't afford to ever pay back. Then after a year when the debts get called in and they go bankrupt, they still go on about how they owned a yacht and a Ferrari. Sad really.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here