Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

So, why do Brighton fans hate Crystal Palace?

Feb 14, 2010
Brighton are playing in a higher league than they have been used to and so are getting bigger crowds. Palace are playing in a higher league than they have been used to and are also getting bigger crowds. Brighton also have a new stadium which will at least initially encourage more fans. Bigger crowds for the same reason, why is acceptable for one club but not the other?

why do you want to compare Brightons crowds in the 3rd division with Palace's in the second (orwhatever they call it) ! As for the Millwall attendance, yes a large following boosted a game years ago. Brighton always have had big gates in the league they play in and always bigger than palace when in the same division (except for a season at Withdean). You know as well as I do, being a regional club like Brighton gives it a natural identity and that is why we bigger gates than Palace even now, despite the fact they are top flight and why we got 12000 to 15000 every week more than them when in the same division. The Palace support disappears when in the Championship - ours does not.

Jaguar_uk

Jun 1, 2013
And vice versa?

If the word 'hate' is too strong a word to use please swap it for a word that is a little less strong.

I remember not too long ago that Plymouth had a bit of a thing for us because we relegated them and beat them in the play offs once. It was quite strange actually.

I'm here for a history lesson really, you lovely people of the Seagull persuasion.

I've never really understood it, I guess it's because most clubs have a local rival of some sort and we had to pick someone?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
There really are far too many Palace on here. Eagles destroy Seagulls or whatever he thinks he calls himself being a prime cut of knob steak.

Dec 3, 2012
why do you want to compare Brightons crowds in the 3rd division with Palace's in the second (orwhatever they call it) ! As for the Millwall attendance, yes a large following boosted a game years ago. Brighton always have had big gates in the league they play in and always bigger than palace when in the same division (except for a season at Withdean). You know as well as I do, being a regional club like Brighton gives it a natural identity and that is why we bigger gates than Palace even now, despite the fact they are top flight and why we got 12000 to 15000 every week more than them when in the same division. The Palace support disappears when in the Championship - ours does not.

My comparison is based on relative success being linked to bigger crowds. Relative success for Brighton is playing in the Championship. For Palace it's playing in the Premier League. That's true isn't it.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
There really are far too many Palace on here. Eagles destroy Seagulls or whatever he thinks he calls himself being a prime cut of knob steak.

You are not wrong.

Special mention to [MENTION=26234]Eaglesdestroyseagulls[/MENTION]. :lolol:

Feb 14, 2010
I love the "goes to watch Chelsea" because I went on a work do. I'm going to see Brentford v Bristol City next week. I wonder if it will be "goes to watch Brentford" next. Its typical palace tho'. They are down in Surrey / Kent and so they dont around the grounds in london much, unlike those of us that live in proper London. As for Palace? Well Mullery was right, not worth a fiver, as is shown by their support that vanishes into thinm air when they play in the second tier, never mind if they were in the 3rd or 4th with no ground!

Jan 30, 2008
exactly, he loves it on here.

Special mention to [mention=26234]eaglesdestroyseagulls[/mention] :wave:
you know what mate ,i don't have a problem with the odd one popping on board for a little bit of banter but some of these gimps must be lonely :shrug:
regards
DR

Feb 14, 2010
My comparison is based on relative success being linked to bigger crowds. Relative success for Brighton is playing in the Championship. For Palace it's playing in the Premier League. That's true isn't it.

No mate, its not. I remember us top flight and in a cup final. Bottom line is palace crowds halve when they play second tier football. Ours do not. Palace? Not worth a fiver.

Dec 3, 2012
No mate, its not. I remember us top flight and in a cup final. Bottom line is palace crowds halve when they play second tier football. Ours do not. Palace? Not worth a fiver.

My point is that relative success is different for the 2 clubs and so are associated attendance levels. I remember Brighton in the top division and losing to Utd in the replay as well but unfortunately that was nearly 30 years ago. Success at the moment is Championship football as the club has been in the lower divisions for so long. Like it or not Palace have consistently played in a higher division for a long time. Decades. Certainly long enough for the Palace fans to have different levels of expectation and so to compare the attendances of the 2 clubs in the same division isn't a valid argument I'm afraid IMO.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here