Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Smoking in the toilets.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
No-one is advocating smoking IN the ground or the stands mate. The whole discussion is based around being let out at half time for a smoke.

I'd like to see you get down from WSU, get out of the ground, have a fag, get back in the ground, climb the 80 or so steps and be back in you seat in WSU for the start of the 2nd half!

ArcticBlue

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex Inlander
Just a polite question;

If everyone in the country gave up smoking, do you think alcohol would be the next item on the 'banning' list for society....?

Of course, many people would delight in banning that too. Fact is alcohol is the catalyst for social and health problems but smoking is an easier target. Doesn't mean either should be banned of course.

The Navaho Indians (big smokers) didn't die of lung cancer they were slaughtered by the conquistadores. Something will always get ya.

I'd like to see you get down from WSU, get out of the ground, have a fag, get back in the ground, climb the 80 or so steps and be back in you seat in WSU for the start of the 2nd half!

It's more like 135 steps mate and I wouldn't bother, I am a smoker and have been for nearly 30 years but I can resist the temptation to smoke at half time because there is beer to drink and pies to eat.

I happen to think though that if people want to be allowed out for a smoke then let them.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
Not sure the older smokers would make it down and back up the steps to WSU at half time! Some seem to have to use the landings as rest areas on the way up as it is.

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
FFS its against the law to smoke in an enclosed public space in this country . And a stadium is regarded as an enclosed public space.

On 14 February 2006, the House of Commons first voted on the amendment to the original compromise plan, to extend the ban to all enclosed public places except private members' clubs. The amendment was carried with a large majority. MPs then voted on a further amendment to ban smoking in all enclosed public places including private members' clubs. Again this amendment gained significant support and was carried with a large majority. This therefore replaced the earlier successful amendment which would have allowed smoking only in private members' clubs. The legislation was passed by the House of Lords allowing a total smoking ban in enclosed public places to come into force in England.

On 7 June 2006, the House of Lords Economic Affairs Committee accused the government of overreacting to the threat posed by passive smoking and said that the smoking ban was symptomatic of MPs' failure to understand risk.[4]

The smoking ban came into force on 1 July 2007, as stated on the 30 November 2006 by former Secretary of State for Health Patricia Hewitt, who called it "a huge step forward for public health

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
FFS its against the law to smoke in an enclosed public space in this country . And a stadium is regarded as an enclosed public space.

http://www.thefa.com/TheFA/WhoWeAre/ContactUs/NewsAndFeatures/2007/~/media/Files/PDF/TheFA/SmokingBan.ashx/SmokingBan.pdf

What premises must be smoke-free?
Premises are covered by the legislation if they are:
(a) used as a place of work, or
(b) open to the public or any section of the public, whether or not by invitation or on payment. The ban applies
to enclosed or substantially enclosed premises.

Affected premises will include stadiums and sports grounds (as well as shops, bars, clubs, restaurants and health
centres), to the extent that these are enclosed or substantially enclosed.

What Premises are exempt?
The law does not cover private dwellings. However, any enclosed part of a dwelling which is shared with other
premises such as a communal staircase will have to be smoke free if it is open to the public or used as a place of
work e.g. by a postman or security guard.

What premises are enclosed?
Premises are enclosed if they have a ceiling or roof, and (apart from doors, windows and passageways) they are
wholly enclosed, permanently or temporarily. A roof can be a fixed or moveable structure which covers all or
part of the premises and can include a canvas awning.

Premises are substantially enclosed if they have a ceiling or roof and less than half of their perimeter consists of
openings in the walls (other than windows, doors or openings which can be shut). More details about the “50%
rule” are set out below at Section 4.

Given the wide range of designs of stadiums and/or stands with overhanging roofs it will not be possible to
categorically state whether stadiums generally will be exempt. Each individual stadium and/or stand will have to
be considered based on its design in order to work out whether it falls within the definition of substantially
enclosed. Accordingly, some clubs may simply decide to designate the whole stadium as smoke free in order to
comply with the new legislation. Even if a stadium is designated as smoke free the new legislation imposes
specific requirements about signage (see Section 2 below). If you are in any doubt as to whether your club’s
ground or premises are covered by the new legislation then you should contact your local authority as it will be
in charge of enforcing the legislation within your area.

Premises only have to be smoke-free if they are enclosed or substantially enclosed.

Premises are enclosed if they have a ceiling or roof and, except for doors, windows and passageways they are
wholly enclosed either permanently or temporarily.

Premises are substantially enclosed if they have a ceiling or roof and less than half of their perimeter consists of
openings in the walls (other than windows, doors or openings that can be shut) – this is referred to as the
50% rule.

Understanding the “50% rule”
The first test is whether the premises have a roof (or ceiling). The regulations only apply if/when premises are
under a roof.

Example: When a stadium is not covered by a roof and is in the open air it is not affected by the smoking ban
(although the managers of the venue may still opt to ban smoking inside the stadium)

Once you are under a roof or ceiling the smoking ban may apply.

For the purposes of calculating whether the premises are “substantially enclosed” you should ignore doors,
windows or openings that can be shut.

We do not understand the “50% rule”. How will we know where should be smoke-free within
our stadium?
The application of the 50% rule is quite complex and will depend on the design of the building (see example
above). If more than 50% of the area in question is enclosed by walls and a roof then it will probably be a
non-smoking area. It is possible to designate the entire stadium non-smoking which might reduce the need to
make this calculation. If in doubt contact your Local Authority for assistance.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Some people want a smoking area!?
Idiots, next they will ask to an opium den or to extend half time so they can shoot some heroin (or whatever they do with it).

No need - people can shoot-up in the cubicles (there's no smell of smoke detectable, so the anti-smoking brigade can't get all uppity about it)

Devante

Nov 24, 2011
I always condemn the smoking. I don't know but I hate it by nature and I request
to all chain smokers to regulate it.
A thing is not bad until you get addicted.
regards

BeepBeepImaJeep

Farewell and adieu....
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
They don't let you out of the ground for a smoke? Well, it's their fault that people smoke in the washrooms then.

Are all grounds in England like that?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here