Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Small sections of our away support at FGR

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The point is, every older generation believes the world is going downhill, as evidenced by the way the young behave. Most young people get a bit obnoxious in a group when away from the eyes of family, and always have done.

I'm not sure. I feel there is a difference, less respect, more entitlement, more rowdiness , less awareness of others. I also do not think it's just youngsters, I have seen many grown adults behave like this. It's often background low-level anti-social behaviour, but I feel the background level to what is now acceptable has risen slightly.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I'm not sure. I feel there is a difference, less respect, more entitlement, more rowdiness , less awareness of others. I also do not think it's just youngsters, I have seen many grown adults behave like this. It's often background low-level anti-social behaviour, but I feel the background level to what is now acceptable has risen slightly.

Probably tolerated as much as accepted.

I’m sure I was a dick at that age but I knew when to stop regardless of how much I had had to drink. The fear of being arrested or cautioned was sobering, as was the shame it would cause my family and the affect on my employment. The bar has been lowered by kids being encouraged to challenge, question, protest and rebel - sometimes good, sometimes not.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
The point is, every older generation believes the world is going downhill, as evidenced by the way the young behave. Most young people get a bit obnoxious in a group when away from the eyes of family, and always have done.

understand your point, and can make a case for this as article demonstrates. But See HT’s reply below yours. As ever, he articulates in a better more refined manner than I but I concur. Standards are down basically! :)

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I am...you should see my moonwalk.

Surely this only happens after you've had a few Lambic style beers though. Normally you'd be found discussing the complexity of the latest weird infused chocolate Oud Bruin. :bigwave::lolol:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
I’m sure I was a dick at that age but I knew when to stop regardless of how much I had had to drink. The fear of being arrested or cautioned was sobering, as was the shame it would cause my family and the affect on my employment.

I think that is true of 99% of people including those who upset certain fans on Wednesday night.
I would suggest the lack police at pitch side like back in the day, has something to do with it as well, I mean the stewards are either the same age or overweight and old, hardly likely to command authority, and to be fair they do not want confrontation.

The bar has been lowered by kids being encouraged to challenge, question, protest and rebel - sometimes good, sometimes not.

Nothing to do with it in my opinion, you should challenge, question, protest and rebel, because of these traits in young folk throughout time, the vast majority of the time only good things come from them, equality both racial and sexual, the climate, poll tax, civil rights, iraq war, etc, etc.

I also think the current generation also are so immersed in social media, and virtual friendships that when they do go out they can get over excited by real life. I would hate to grow up now to be honest, no youth cults, dating via apps, social media driven perspective of a perfect life, instant fame and wealth soaring costs, no chance of getting on the housing ladder, cancel culture, global tensions, jebus no way....

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
There was a lot more than that…

In his autobiography he said the chant at Brighton, in October 1980, "Did you know she had VD?", was the worst chant he'd heard in his entire career.

How ironic he made his 1,000th career appearence playing for Orient against us at Brisbane Road in 1996, wasn't there that day but was Tina mentioned in despatches?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
As a teacher of many years I completely disagree with this. Most kids are absolutely fine - polite and respectful, and in fact certainly more tuned in to serious issues like climate change than previous generations. The percentage of kids who act as you describe hasn't really changed. Come on - look at football violence in the 70s and 80s for example! The old chestnut of kids being more unruly than previous generations and being victimised in the media has been happening for hundreds of years - certainly since the industrial revolution and urbanisation at least. Gangs of youths roaming the streets in cities up and down the land like the scuttlers in Manchester in the victorian times.

If you take a look at The History of Western Philosophy (Russell) he recounts how the older generation moaned about the younger generation even in Roman times. It is an age-related phenomenon and part of the constellation of symptoms of 'grumpy old man syndrome'.

That said, evidence of change can't be simply dismissed. The simple question is whether there is evidence of change. The only change relevant here that I can see is the fairly recent (20 years) availability of cheap coke, the evidence for which is abundant.

Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Surely this only happens after you've had a few Lambic style beers though. Normally you'd be found discussing the complexity of the latest weird infused chocolate Oud Bruin. :bigwave::lolol:

Exactly. See, I am FUN!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
I remember seeing a photo of a huge pile of Doc Marten boots and other Bovver Boots outside the North Stand a few years ago that were taken off lads .

These days it would be a mountain of White powder outside the Amex North Stand I suspect.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I remember seeing a photo of a huge pile of Doc Marten boots and other Bovver Boots outside the North Stand a few years ago that were taken off lads .

These days it would be a mountain of White powder outside the Amex North Stand I suspect.

Taken from the arsenal fans I seem to recall.

I must be a very boring human. I have never smoked cigs, never taken any recreational drugs or would even dream of doing so. I have only ever been “ high” was one blue oyster cult concert at the Brighton centre where they came on to a sweet smelling haze around the auditorium. I felt very light headed and my mate who smoked weed told me it was thick with the stuff.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017

Out of interest, are you talking about the UK, Germany, both, or everywhere?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

faoileán

Jan 29, 2021

Taking cocaine at the football is a definitely a modern phenomena, but I think there is a lot of exaggeration by people (i'm not saying you) who like to portray themselves as being "in the know" about it. It's a small minority of NS fans who take it at home matches, if it were more then surely the singing might be better! But a larger proportion amongst away fans, particularly the big time Charlies down from London being geezers in their cock-bonnets.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Again age and sentiment is clouding my judgement, and again this comment has probably been covered but back in the “good old days”
I did feel like (let’s say) the 300 on the train to Chester (1988) felt like one big family. There are now quite a lot of our own supporters on the train home I avoid eye contact or any sort of interaction with in the same way you would with a group of Chelsea fans in 1989

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West

If only this perceived lack of respect, etc, was translated into taking some real action! I cannot understand how/why the younger generation seem so happy with their lot....huge student debt, little chance of buying a home, piss-poor pension (probably not on their radar yet), crap public transport, a government which doesn't give a f*ck about destroying the planet, etc, etc. When will people start being a lot MORE anti-social?

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
If only this perceived lack of respect, etc, was translated into taking some real action! I cannot understand how/why the younger generation seem so happy with their lot....huge student debt, little chance of buying a home, piss-poor pension (probably not on their radar yet), crap public transport, a government which doesn't give a f*ck about destroying the planet, etc, etc. When will people start being a lot MORE anti-social?

They’re angry alright and yes it’s totally misplaced however, sadly I don’t think some of the mob in question are going to demonstrate against social issues that you’ve mentioned. It’s more a case of “There ain’t no black in the Union Jack” Their elders are probably some of
the lot photographed proudly displaying the Boris Johnson/Get Brexit done flag outside The Black Horse.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Maybe the same bellends we got stuck in a tube carriage with after West Ham. Plenty of Hammers fans on board minding their own business, plus kids and women that were nothing to do with the football. But we had to put up with ‘get your tits out for the lads’ and ‘when Zaha dies we’re having a party’ all the way back to London Bridge.

Embarrassing to have them associated with the club.

Sure, it’s true a lot of behaviour was worse back in the 70s & 80s. But football fans were widely considered to be scum and treated like it back then and the sport was dying because of it. Anything that drags us back that way shouldn’t be tolerated.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here