Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
9 mil up front plus two sets of 2 million add ons and hideous wages?
Fack that and not surprised they pulled out :)

What I cant understand is that they agreed the fee, did the medical then pulled the plug? What a waste of everyone's time.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
What I cant understand is that they agreed the fee, did the medical then pulled the plug? What a waste of everyone's time.

Maybe it's a reverse of the Clayton saga? Rhodes on his way to Lancing as we speak??.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
Just got the jitters after looking at the hideous amounts of money needed and if they fail to go up it could be big problems while he's stuck on a huge wage.

Who knows but boro have done the right thing

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Pure speculation but I wonder if someone else has suddenly become available who represents greater value for money. Very unusual to let the deal run that late then pull the plug

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Medical not the issue according to The Torygraph

"Jordan Rhodes's proposed £9m move to Middlesbrough now appears to be OFF, in a shattering blow to the Blackburn striker.

Boro chairman Steve Gibson has had a dramatic change of heart and the deal is now set to be scrapped despite Rhodes agreeing terms and passing a medical.

"Rhodes met with Boro officials on Saturday and was poised to officially sign today but has been informed the move to the Riverside Stadium is off.

"Boro had agreed to pay Blackburn an initial £9m and then a further £2m plus £2m in instalments."

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Dont worry...Sheffield Wednesday or Derby will surely step up and sign him!

It's going to be intriguing to see how much difference Rhodes makes to whoever signs him. I would suggest he is worth the gamble when you consider the rewards on offer if it gets promotion. Not my call or my money fortunately but I hope that we are not going to suffer a loss or blow out on promotion due to Rhodes goals, having already played against one of his teams twice this season.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I can't speak for Derby, I have no idea how their finances look; however I do know Boro will be just fine even if we don't go up.

The FFP is an average over three seasons
Not this year its not.
We earned 1.5 million for our Cup run last season, a further 3 million for the play off final
Those figures don't count for this season, so they're irrelevant.

We also started new partnerships with several companies such as Marathon Bet and Leeds and Bradford airport etc. Add that to gate receipts with an average of 23,000 and the amount of times we've been on TV we're in a healthy position.
That may just cover Downing's wages.

You haven't got your facts right, so I can't really put my faith in you.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Pure speculation but I wonder if someone else has suddenly become available who represents greater value for money. Very unusual to let the deal run that late then pull the plug

OR A Premier League club have gazumped poor poor Boro: See Burnley/Ward/Turnaround on the motorway affair.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Isn't this just a case of Steve Gibson's negotiating tactics? A deal between clubs doesn't have to be agreed before the player can undergo a medical and discuss personal terms, maybe the clubs were close enough that Blackburn were happy for Rhodes to talk to Middlesbrough, the terms between the player and club were agreed but there wasn't a deal between the clubs for the actual sale. Maybe Gibson thought that Blackburn would relent on the clauses/bonuses if the player himself had agreed terms and wanted the move? Maybe he thought he would have the upper hand in the negotiations but Blackburn dug in and didn't relent? Maybe now Gibson has decided to either try and force their hand by going public pulling out of the deal and if Blackburn want to make the deal happen they'll have to get closer to his demands, otherwise they're left without the £9million odd opening fee, and with a striker we all know wanted/wants to leave.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here