Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
As the fans are the lifeblood of all clubs it can't be right to have a system (FFP) fans can't comprehend. We know Derby has spent £25m this season but Boro if they sign Rhodes probably more. Given the smaller attendances they get we quickly need to scrap FFP and come up with a fairer system or fans will lose interest unless clubs break the rules like Derby & Boro and QPR & Bournmuff before them!

I think most fans can comprehend FFP. What they cannot comprehend is that where a clear breach has been made, clubs would rather take the FL to court than pay their dues to charity, particularly when the owner of one of the clubs in question is sitting on an obscene pile of money. Clubs that gamble and lose are being affected by FFP - none of the embargoed sides are doing well.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
I think most fans can comprehend FFP. What they cannot comprehend is that where a clear breach has been made, clubs would rather take the FL to court than pay their dues to charity, particularly when the owner of one of the clubs in question is sitting on an obscene pile of money. Clubs that gamble and lose are being affected by FFP - none of the embargoed sides are doing well.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. It's all well and good IF the gamble pays off and you make it to the PL - in this case it is very hard for the FL to enforce the fines. However, there are only 3 places every year, and if the gamble fails it effectively wipes out your next season (or more) as you have to sell your best players and rely on loans of players like Chris O Grady.

atomised

Mar 21, 2013
I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed this. It's all well and good IF the gamble pays off and you make it to the PL; however there are only 3 places every year, and if the gamble fails it effectively wipes out your next season as you have to sell your best players and rely on loans of players like Chris O Grady.

This. Very much so. ffp is working very well for those who dont get promoted. Will be an irfelevance to those that do with the riches on offer

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
Gone to Boro £13million

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Up to Bloom to match it now, if your strike force consists of cheap foreigner, veteran, unproven loanee and sick note then you're not going up

The only scenario when ANY team could knowingly massively exceed the FFP limits would be when they were pretty much certain to go up, and they could use the Premier League Multi-Millions to pay any fine.

If Derby (or in fact Boro) fail to go up, they're ****ed

Dec 6, 2015
I can't speak for Derby, I have no idea how their finances look; however I do know Boro will be just fine even if we don't go up.

The FFP is an average over three seasons and what we've spent this season has been exaggerated to the point that Burnley never shut up about us - In spite of the fact that they'd actually spent more (before Rhodes).

We earned 1.5 million for our Cup run last season, a further 3 million for the play off final and 3.5 million for the sale of Lee Tomlin. We also started new partnerships with several companies such as Marathon Bet and Leeds and Bradford airport etc. Add that to gate receipts with an average of 23,000 and the amount of times we've been on TV we're in a healthy position.

We signed Downing for 7 million this is true, however 2 million if that is on the condition we go up and we have a similar deal for Nugent with the price tag of 4 million but 2 million on the condition of promotion. Rhodes is 9 million with a further 2 million being paid if we go up - not 13 million. The other transfer is De Pena for 2.5 million.

Trust me we've breached no FFP regulations and Gibson would never allow us to - each transfer is amortisized and complex.

martin tyler

Jan 25, 2013
The only scenario when ANY team could knowingly massively exceed the FFP limits would be when they were pretty much certain to go up, and they could use the Premier League Multi-Millions to pay any fine.

The thing is this year is bloody tight. Both have made massive gambles they will make it, but I think one of them is defiantly going to end up in the lottery of the playoffs. I would love us to sign a striker but not at the expense of being stuck in the division under a transfer embargo

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
I can't speak for Derby, I have no idea how their finances look; however I do know Boro will be just fine even if we don't go up.

The FFP is an average over three seasons and what we've spent this season has been exaggerated to the point that Burnley never shut up about us - In spite of the fact that they'd actually spent more (before Rhodes).

We earned 1.5 million for our Cup run last season, a further 3 million for the play off final and 3.5 million for the sale of Lee Tomlin. We also started new partnerships with several companies such as Marathon Bet and Leeds and Bradford airport etc. Add that to gate receipts with an average of 23,000 and the amount of times we've been on TV we're in a healthy position.

We signed Downing for 7 million this is true, however 2 million if that is on the condition we go up and we have a similar deal for Nugent with the price tag of 4 million but 2 million on the condition of promotion. Rhodes is 9 million with a further 2 million being paid if we go up - not 13 million. The other transfer is De Pena for 2.5 million.

Trust me we've breached no FFP regulations and Gibson would never allow us to - each transfer is amortisized and complex.

That's what they all say

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
FFP was ok in theory but they missed one important rule which would have made it effective - automatic relegation to Div 2 for failure to adhere to it and promote extra from Div 1. and then from Div 2.to cover each vacancy.

Bring back Bryan wade!!

I wanna caravan for me ma
Jun 28, 2010
Hassocks
Up to Bloom to match it now, if your strike force consists of cheap foreigner, veteran, unproven loanee and sick note then you're not going up

Probably a fair comment on balance. Either Nakhi Wells for £7m or Ross McCormack £10m. Tony do you check or go all in?...

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Are you sure you didn't just change the names and amounts and copy and paste what Bournemouth fans were saying on here last year? :wink:

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Unless four teams spend massively!

The FFP 'spreading' of annual losses over three seasons (ie to a maximum of £39 million in total) doesn't start until July 2016/17; for this season the maximum loss allowed is £13 million. Having said that, I too expect 'Boro to comply this season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here