Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
Break the bank? No, he has a decent goalscoring record in this division but the fact that no Premiership clubs with cash to burn have come in for him speaks volumes imo. Of course he doesn't have to be good enough for the Prem at the moment, but £12m plus huge wages is a big risk and if he flopped we wouldn't recoup anywhere near what we'd pay. We are not a club with parachute payments so a more calculated risk is what the club should aim for.

Was there loads of PL clubs queueing up for vardy when he was in the championship? How do we know if he can play in the prem if he hasn't!

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
Graham is a funny one. Has had a couple of good seasons here & there, always a name on the tip of people's tongues when it comes to potential loan signings. Yet that's the point, isn't it? He's always available on loan. Never seems to settle anywhere or stay for long. Not sure what his recent scoring record is like but I can't imagine it's all that.

Graham has scored about one goal in the last TEN years and I bet he is on a big wage too

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
Seems most of us are worried about the price tags for proven strikers at this level, and the wages for the better ones are absurd.
But like it or not, that is the standard we are at, and at some point we have to join the race, especially if we really aspire to gaining promotion, where it gets even worse.

When a striker like Afobe is being sold for over £10 million, it pushes the prices up for every other striker, but we can't complain, we did exactly the same with Ulloa. I think Afobe actually has a better record than Leo did too.
So it's up to the board, you either pay the money for a Rhodes type who will almost guarantee you 20+ goals a season, and probably play offs at least or.... You spend £2.5M on a CMS, £2M on a Baldock and next year be in exactly the same situation again. Except now, players like Rhodes and McCormack are being sold for £15-18M because there will be more money in the prem, and Championship clubs will want their share for their better players.
We could of course get lucky and unearth another Ulloa, but if it was that simple, we would have had one every year and so would everyone else.

MF'84

A load of Bolanos
Jul 26, 2012
Derbyshire
Whether or not we end up spending 7/8/9 million on any player, just being rumoured to be in contention to sign players of that calibre shows how far we've come in the last 10 years and that exciting times are ahead.

supaseagull

Feb 19, 2004
The United Kingdom of Mile Oak
Seems most of us are worried about the price tags for proven strikers at this level, and the wages for the better ones are absurd.
But like it or not, that is the standard we are at, and at some point we have to join the race, especially if we really aspire to gaining promotion, where it gets even worse.

When a striker like Afobe is being sold for over £10 million, it pushes the prices up for every other striker, but we can't complain, we did exactly the same with Ulloa. I think Afobe actually has a better record than Leo did too.
So it's up to the board, you either pay the money for a Rhodes type who will almost guarantee you 20+ goals a season, and probably play offs at least or.... You spend £2.5M on a CMS, £2M on a Baldock and next year be in exactly the same situation again. Except now, players like Rhodes and McCormack are being sold for £15-18M because there will be more money in the prem, and Championship clubs will want their share for their better players.
We could of course get lucky and unearth another Ulloa, but if it was that simple, we would have had one every year and so would everyone else.

I like that post well done :thumbsup:

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Shame we wasted money and wages on dross like Ballsack and Cog and Clunge instead of going all in on a decent striker.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005

Exactly this. We haven't had a better chance to go up since Gus was here and we didn't push on enough in that January transfer window. This is the big chance and I believe now is the right time to take the gamble and spend big on a striker. If it takes us up £10-12m is small fry. We all know we can't go up without signing a decent striker and therefore if this is what we have to pay we either do it or give up on promotion for yet another season. It will only get tougher in the seasons that follow so this really is our big chance.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly this. We haven't had a better chance to go up since Gus was here and we didn't push on enough in that January transfer window.

That January transfer window when we bought Ulloa, (loaned) Upson and don't forget Maksmimenko !, ended up losing only 3 times in remaining 20 matches and would have won the league if it had started on Jan 1st 2013.

5mins-from-amex

Sep 1, 2011
coldean
That January transfer window when we bought Ulloa, (loaned) Upson and don't forget Maksmimenko !, ended up losing only 3 times in remaining 20 matches and would have won the league if it had started on Jan 1st 2013.

Was that the same transfer window when we almost signed Virgil van Dijk?

northstandsteve

Oct 9, 2003
Hove
Now Graham has signed for Rovers, no doubt the bidders become more intense in their approach.Surprised Boro are back in for him, they are nailed on certs for promotion in my opinion. If they want to offload Stuani then i'd have him.I doubt we are in interested in Rhodes at the price but it could we worth a gamble.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Of the two clubs supposedly in the running for Rhodes, I hope he goes to Boro.

They're already well placed, and his addition should only enhance their position. It would make no difference to us.

Sheffield Wednesday :)lolol:), in my opinion, are only a decent striker away from being a very good side, and if they were to add Rhodes to that squad (assuming they also retain Gary Hooper, as seems likely), they could easily start to really kick on and go from potential play-off contenders to automatic promotion candidates.

Hopefully, Boro's recent loss to Bristol City will act as a reminder that they've won nothing yet, and make Karanka consider improvements to an already very high quality squad.

Bald Gull

Jul 5, 2003
London
yes. fancied champions league football with the hoops instead.

Not sure that is strictly true. At the time, he would have come to us. We couldn't match Groningen's asking price - think they wanted another half a million euros. Celtic then came in for him in the summer.

deslynhamsmoustache1

Apr 25, 2010
RAF Tangmere
Of the two clubs supposedly in the running for Rhodes, I hope he goes to Boro.

They're already well placed, and his addition should only enhance their position. It would make no difference to us.

Sheffield Wednesday :)lolol:), in my opinion, are only a decent striker away from being a very good side, and if they were to add Rhodes to that squad (assuming they also retain Gary Hooper, as seems likely), they could easily start to really kick on and go from potential play-off contenders to automatic promotion candidates.

Hopefully, Boro's recent loss to Bristol City will act as a reminder that they've won nothing yet, and make Karanka consider improvements to an already very high quality squad.

It would if we had to get a result the last game of the season to go up:mad:

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Its not long ago everyone was dreading Man Utd will recall Wilson.

A couple of indifferent games after being ill, he's been written off.

I still think he maybe very important and and shouldnt be written off, see the Charlton goal for example.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here