Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports - Dunk "Keeping Albion's Play Off Hopes Alive" What?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
and those other teams and managers never acknowledge we're right in it. BOO HOO

Steve Bruce last night:

City are now closer to seventh than second as they prepare for Saturday's trip to Huddersfield and Bruce accepts his faltering side face an uphill task to snatch back an automatic promotion place.
"The one thing we'll never do is give up on it," said Bruce, who oversaw the heaviest league defeat of his City reign last night.
"We can't do that, we owe it to ourselves with seven games to go.
"When you're chasing three teams it's very difficult.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Stev...s-hopes-look/story-29058848-detail/story.html

He meant four - forgot Leeds and Wednesday [emoji23] surely ?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Couple weeks ago when we were 2nd, five live skipped over us in the Championship review and actually spent more time talking about Fulham and co in the lower mid table (ie not even relegation excitement but boring mid table!)

We are so under the radar it's the biggest threat to our automatic chances. We could finish top or 2nd but like a Miss World contest, they'll announce Burnley and or Boro/Hull as the winners regardless!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Couple weeks ago when we were 2nd, five live skipped over us in the Championship review and actually spent more time talking about Fulham and co in the lower mid table (ie not even relegation excitement but boring mid table!)

We are so under the radar it's the biggest threat to our automatic chances. We could finish top or 2nd but like a Miss World contest, they'll announce Burnley and or Boro/Hull as the winners regardless!

This is the point I (and some others) are making.

OBVIOUSLY there are still Albion match reports in the papers and on various newspaper websites, as there still would be were we in midtable. But whenever I've heard the Championship being discussed on the radio its like we hardly exist. We might get a cursory "Brighton are up there" type mention, but that's about it. The analysis then goes on to what Boro/Hull/Burnley/Derby need to do.

I all but gave up on Channel 5's FLS a few weeks ago when they quickly skiffed over that cracking 3-2 win v Bolton that put us back to within a point of 2nd, but spent more than 10 minutes showing highlights and reaction to Derby losing 1-0 to MK Dongs.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005

Well put. The bias towards the media identified Big 4 while we have actually been right in amongst it all season has been extremely obvious and to deny it seems odd.

With 40 games played they have finally got the message this week but it is begrudging and Derby winning last night was a much bigger story than warranted - "Play off bound team finally wins a home game against out of form fourth placed team".

As for the bookies, they also consistently reflected this bias and have, King Canute style, only finally accepted that we are more likely than Hull and Derby very recently...

el punal

If you think this is bad now you wait until we (Fingers crossed! One day soon!) become a Premier League side.

We could be sniffing around the top two and Sky and it's pundits would still write us off.

Nobody see's Brighton as a big club, and nobody outside of Brighton is interested in reading or hearing about us.

I think you do the club a disservice. To be fair we have had a fair amount of publicity, particularly when we went on our 21 match unbeaten run. Added to that the number of times we have been featured in live TV matches, into double figures (13?). Plus, if you go onto other clubs fans' forum we are certainly considered promotion candidates with maybe not a "big" history but certainly "big" potential.

And, yes, most of the season we have been under the radar because no-one, including die hard Albion fans, ever expected us to achieve what we have done so far. Onwards and upwards!

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
As for the bookies, they also consistently reflected this bias and have, King Canute style, only finally accepted that we are more likely than Hull and Derby very recently...

Paddy Power said on Talksport yesterday afternoon that Burnley and Boro for the automatic spots is a done deal. :shrug:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Until someone tries to lump a six figure bet on Albion!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Paddy Power said on Talksport yesterday afternoon that Burnley and Boro for the automatic spots is a done deal. :shrug:

There seemed to be a referee who was in on the 'done deal' last weekend. Did they actually say 'done deal'?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
For what it's worth, I watched a preview of last nights fixtures in a boozer in Brum on SSn, and although the sound was off, they had Burnleys equaliser against us, a Boro goal, a Hull goal, and a Derby goal. They may have been saying " none of these teams are a match for the South Coast monolith that is Brighton and Hove Albion" but I some how doubt it.
Having said all that, I not sure it really matters either way, I quite like us being underrated by the more sensationalist media, and I'm sure, anyone who has any real interest in the Championship has noted our astonishing progress this season.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Derby and Wednesday fans still think top 2 not out of their reach,

Neither are safely in the play-offs yet, they need 9 and 8 points more than Boro, respectively, and Cardiff only need 4 to catch Derby, and 5 to catch Wednesday, so, I'd concentrate on securing a play- off place first if I was them

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton

Ah but Fulham will be in their memories because they were in the Premier League.

Basically, unless you're what received wisdom denotes as a 'big club' I.e. a London or northern club with all the heritage that goes with that, then forget it. I'd imagine the East Anglian clubs feel they are ignored too.

That's why it would be great to see 3 south coast clubs in the top flight. Surely, that would be a first.

Hull ffs! Why are Hull all of a sudden classified as a big club. Up until the turn of the century Hull were nothing. They've been about as successful as we have been, but suddenly the media treats them like they're giants. I've got nothing against Hull, but media, get a grip.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
Ah but Fulham will be in their memories because they were in the Premier League.

Basically, unless you're what received wisdom denotes as a 'big club' I.e. a London or northern club with all the heritage that goes with that, then forget it. I'd imagine the East Anglian clubs feel they are ignored too.

That's why it would be great to see 3 south coast clubs in the top flight. Surely, that would be a first.

Hull ffs! Why are Hull all of a sudden classified as a big club. Up until the turn of the century Hull were nothing. They've been about as successful as we have been, but suddenly the media treats them like they're giants. I've got nothing against Hull, but media, get a grip.

1996-97 Third Division table.png

Some MASSIVE clubs in that table, premier league GIANTS indeed :lol:

KVLT

Sep 15, 2008
Rutland
There seemed to be a referee who was in on the 'done deal' last weekend. Did they actually say 'done deal'?

I wouldn't say it was a verbatim quote (though it may have been), but it's certainly what was inferred. At best his quote was along the lines of "I can't see past Burnley and Boro for the automatics!"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here