Sky Sports - Dunk "Keeping Albion's Play Off Hopes Alive" What?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Albion shirts are exclusively sold by the club, no other store can sell them. Part of the deal with Nike.

Part of the deal for the club to make sure no one knows about them.

Really short sighted and short termism. Embarrassing that you go into Sports Direct in BRIGHTON and can find all manner of European kits and no Albion.

The Fifth Column

Retired ex-cop
Nov 30, 2010
Escaped from Corruption
With all due respect, Brighton aren't a big club.

A subject thats been done to death more than once on this site! Its largely a matter of opinion clouded by bias and footballing loyalties but we are a much bigger club than we were 5, 10 or 15 years ago proving that clubs can grow and get bigger over time. I'd happily state that we are now one of the biggest clubs in the Football league, I certainly don't look at the two teams above us as being bigger than the Albion just because they've both had recent spells in the top division.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
A subject thats been done to death more than once on this site! Its largely a matter of opinion clouded by bias and footballing loyalties but we are a much bigger club than we were 5, 10 or 15 years ago proving that clubs can grow and get bigger over time. I'd happily state that we are now one of the biggest clubs in the Football league, I certainly don't look at the two teams above us as being bigger than the Albion just because they've both had recent spells in the top division.
Yes, 'bigness' always can be clouded by ancient history.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Part of the deal for the club to make sure no one knows about them.

Really short sighted and short termism. Embarrassing that you go into Sports Direct in BRIGHTON and can find all manner of European kits and no Albion.

Who wants to line Ashley's pocket buying stuff in Sports Direct. I'm pleased the club get money from shirt sales.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
No - my point in the first place was a response you stating it was a 1 in 10 ratio. Without popping into a local school and asking for a show of hands I can't give you any stats, but I've observed enough (as have others posting here) to suggest it's nowhere near that ratio.

There are 125 kids that train at my club. Of all ages. Based on their replica shirts then about roughly half are Albion fans. We , as a club took 70 or so kids to Huddersfield at the Amex earlier this season. I don't know how many man it'd fans but I guess it would be less than 10 (but yep some Chelsea, Arsenal, even Palace fans lurk as well)

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Who wants to line Ashley's pocket buying stuff in Sports Direct. I'm pleased the club get money from shirt sales.

Every club of any decent size in Europe, basically. I'm no fan of Ashley, but we really are shooting ourselves in the foot. To not be able to buy a BRIGHTON shirt in BRIGHTON is utterly backwards, surely you can see that?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Every club of any decent size in Europe, basically. I'm no fan of Ashley, but we really are shooting ourselves in the foot. To not be able to buy a BRIGHTON shirt in BRIGHTON is utterly backwards, surely you can see that?

I can buy a Brighton shirt in Brighton. We also have the mobile shop which is available sometimes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
They don't even stock all PL clubs...only those where Ashley has a deal with the manufacturer

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS

I'm not sure Sports Direct should be used as a yardstick here. Their procurement is particularly random as to what they stock and where.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales

I would imagine the club have done the maths. They would make considerably less if the shirt was sold through a third party and demand outside of Sussex is going to be negligible.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Having exclusivity on an item where the profit margin is something like 80-90% is far from shooting yourselves in the foot; it's actually a very good deal.

Mowgli37

Enigmatic Asthmatic
Jan 13, 2013
Sheffield
That's a good table to see.

And a good reminder.

Next year will be 20 years since that happened. Would it be great if 20 years to the day we were securely in the top flight?

It would be poetic brilliance.

I'd forgotten just how good our home record was (and how abysmally the away compared). We actually picked up the same number of wins overall as middish table Hull City.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
I would imagine the club have done the maths. They would make considerably less if the shirt was sold through a third party and demand outside of Sussex is going to be negligible.

Pretty much this. I'm sure the club is also alive to the possibilities for sales if we make the Premier League and become something of a "global brand". They will act accordingly.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

You'd think every other club in Europe who sell through middlemen would also have done the maths wouldn't you?

I get how they're looking at it, I'm saying that this short termism is wrong, IMO. Yes, you will get a few more quid per shirts, but you will sell less shirts overall, less shirts = less exposure = less money. It's saving a penny to miss out on a pound.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Pretty much this. I'm sure the club is also alive to the possibilities for sales if we make the Premier League and become something of a "global brand". They will act accordingly.

Being in the Premier League doesn't even make you a national brand, let alone a global one. Are sports retailers the length and breadth of the country selling Norwich, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom or Everton shirts?

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Being in the Premier League doesn't even make you a national brand, let alone a global one. Are sports retailers the length and breadth of the country selling Norwich, Southampton, Sunderland, Swansea, West Brom or Everton shirts?

Or indeed Leicester?

I suspect even winning the Premier League will not be enough to get the Ashley pile 'em high and sell 'em cheap treatment. Newcastle shirts, on the other hand, may be the most widely available in all of the Football League. Shame.

PG

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
You'd think every other club in Europe who sell through middlemen would also have done the maths wouldn't you?

I get how they're looking at it, I'm saying that this short termism is wrong, IMO. Yes, you will get a few more quid per shirts, but you will sell less shirts overall, less shirts = less exposure = less money. It's saving a penny to miss out on a pound.

Out of interest how many championship shirts are on sale in Brighton's Sports Direct? I don't recall seeing any in my local one in Liverpool. There would be zero demand

There will be global demand for Barcelona or Bayern Munich but not Albion shirts.

They will sell most of their shirts in Brighton and the surrounding area so why give away most of the profit?

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking

This is true but you're talking national rather than international. Its amazing the amount of other clubs shirts you see when you're abroad. Working at the airport I often meet people from overseas coming in at the weekend to catch matches and it's surprising how often you see them wearing some of the shirts you have mentioned. The club will presumably be looking at how to meet that demand should we ever go up.

I reckon Leicester are going to be a good deal more global next season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports