Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports - Dunk "Keeping Albion's Play Off Hopes Alive" What?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Isn't this exactly what happened with Bournemouth last year? Took a long time for anyone to give them any credit. More than happy for the same to happen with us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Yep. Totally under the radar. Not a squeak in the papers today.

"Seagulls close on leaders Burnley with away victory" - Daily Star
"Brighton keep the pressure up...[on Burnley] " - The Guardian
"Brighton kept the pressure on their Championship automatic promotion rivals with victory at Birmingham" - BBC Sport
"Dunk kept Brighton's automatic promotion hopes alive with crucial winner" - Daily Mail
"Brighton remain in the automatic promotion hunt' - Eurosport
"[Burnley] couldn’t find a match-winner as Boro and Brighton closed the gap at the top of the table." - Burnley Express

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
As for Editors commissioning profiles of Hughton in the broadsheets because they presumably think we have the Prem League in our sites, then not a sniff.

Jim White in the Telegraph last week: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football...-be-leap-in-dark-for-brighton-says-chris-hug/
"These are tense times at the club who, 19 years ago at this very point of the season, were homeless and facing a real threat of relegation to the *Conference. Now they are poised to hit the Premier League at the very moment the rewards for admission hit the stratosphere with the new television deal."

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
Yep. Totally under the radar. Not a squeak in the papers today.

"Seagulls close on leaders Burnley with away victory" - Daily Star
"Brighton keep the pressure up...[on Burnley] " - The Guardian
"Brighton kept the pressure on their Championship automatic promotion rivals with victory at Birmingham" - BBC Sport
"Dunk kept Brighton's automatic promotion hopes alive with crucial winner" - Daily Mail
"Brighton remain in the automatic promotion hunt' - Eurosport
"[Burnley] couldn’t find a match-winner as Boro and Brighton closed the gap at the top of the table." - Burnley Express

Apparently no one wants to hear or read about us though. :shrug:

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
and I doubt those hard nosed bookmakers would rate us either given that they're fawning over Boro, Hull and the like

So a real shock that our Promotion odds (via Oddschecker)
Are cough, 10/11 or 6/5 or evens. Blimey.

As for champions then well fancied Hull are er, 25-1 and little old Albion are er, 7-1.

Amazing.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Isn't this exactly what happened with Bournemouth last year? Took a long time for anyone to give them any credit. More than happy for the same to happen with us.

Bournemouth last year, Reading in 2012 and Brighton in 1979. Each successful campaign had a very similar feel to it, one of an unfancied team with unbelievable momentum, togetherness and team spirit.

2016?

PG

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Boo ! Sky just won't mention we are automatic promotion contenders...except when they do. #littleoldalbion (i think they changed this to be fair)

dunk.jpg

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Fundamentally this is because of the tight lipped control that TB exerts on our dealings and is exactly what the club want.

Fosters a lot of togetherness internally, outwardly reflecting that we're a closed shop unlikely to get decent comment from and therefore uninteresting to the journos and the masses. Ideal.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
and those other teams and managers never acknowledge we're right in it. BOO HOO

Steve Bruce last night:

City are now closer to seventh than second as they prepare for Saturday's trip to Huddersfield and Bruce accepts his faltering side face an uphill task to snatch back an automatic promotion place.
"The one thing we'll never do is give up on it," said Bruce, who oversaw the heaviest league defeat of his City reign last night.
"We can't do that, we owe it to ourselves with seven games to go.
"When you're chasing three teams it's very difficult.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Stev...s-hopes-look/story-29058848-detail/story.html

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
To be fair 5Live talk us up with Burnley, Boro & Hull ... and Leeds!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
and those other teams and managers never acknowledge we're right in it. BOO HOO

Steve Bruce last night:

City are now closer to seventh than second as they prepare for Saturday's trip to Huddersfield and Bruce accepts his faltering side face an uphill task to snatch back an automatic promotion place.
"The one thing we'll never do is give up on it," said Bruce, who oversaw the heaviest league defeat of his City reign last night.
"We can't do that, we owe it to ourselves with seven games to go.
"When you're chasing three teams it's very difficult.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Stev...s-hopes-look/story-29058848-detail/story.html

What's wrong with that quote? They are chasing three teams - us, Middlesbrough and Burnley - the three teams above them.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
What's wrong with that quote? They are chasing three teams - us, Middlesbrough and Burnley - the three teams above them.

nothing at all . i was trying to illustrate, in my normal unhumorous manner !, how there's scant evidence, despite this thread, that Albion really are 'under the radar" when it comes to the media, managers or pundits view of the promotion race.. Even Steve Bruce has practically concluded that its now down to Boro , Burnley and er, little old Albion.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
nothing at all . i was trying to illustrate, in my normal unhumorous manner !, how there's scant evidence, despite this thread, that Albion really are 'under the radar" when it comes to the media, managers or pundits view of the promotion race.. Even Steve Bruce has practically concluded that its now down to Boro , Burnley and er, little old Albion.

Sorry, evidently the general tone of the thread meant that your reply caught me off guard!

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham

TalkSport or 5Live, we're never in the conversation, it's all about Boro, Burnley, Hull and Derby. :shrug:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Loving how everyone still thinks we are not good enough depsite it now being 40 games into the season, suits me and us fine.

StonehamPark

#Brighton-Nil
Oct 30, 2010
BC, Canada
I find all this 'under the radar' stuff ridiculous.

I'd argue that we've been within the top 10 teams most talked and written about (and selected for live games) since August 2011.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Loving how everyone still thinks we are not good enough depsite it now being 40 games into the season, suits me and us fine.

That's because we haven't played anyone decent yet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here