Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I'm not a fan of Starmer but he seems a competent manager given the other choices. A bit like Major in 1992 up against a nurse loving Kinnock. I can't see how these two candidates could have been dealt with better, usually we don't hear these things until after someone has been elected. But, in both these cases, the candidates are only saying things that many people think. It's better out in the open and acknowledged.

I agree on the second suspension, but the first should have been kicked out the day it came out.

Hopefully it's a learning curve for him and will will act as he did for Jones, the way Guido Fawks is approaching this makes me think there is more to come.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I agree on the second suspension, but the first should have been I backed the day it came out.

Hopefully it's a learning curve for him and will will act as he did for Jones, the way Guido Fawks is approaching this makes me think there is more to come.
I think he has come from a world (at the DPP) where you take the time and review the evidence, but that isn’t something that suits the News cycle so they start baying for blood immediately and you have to act immediately to satisfy them.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
I think he has come from a world (at the DPP) where you take the time and review the evidence, but that isn’t something that suits the News cycle so they start baying for blood immediately and you have to act immediately to satisfy them.
They were happy to let it slide as he said sorry, they sent MPs out defending him and his comments.

What he said was clear then.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
They were happy to let it slide as he said sorry, they sent MPs out defending him and his comments.

A single comment can be forgiven IMHO, once evidence emerged that it was more then they acted

As for Guido Fawkes, his late night tweeting last night should disbar his contributions from being taken seriously

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Well the thing is most of us - especially the vocal majority on here - don’t want this to keep happening. I’d rather it stopped. It gives the right wing press and the Tories free ammunition to target Starmer and Labour.

If they have to concede a couple of candidates, it’s for the greater good to make the clear statement “this is not who we are anymore”.

Starmer has done brilliantly so far turning the ship around and getting the antisemites out. He has to be seen as consistent and hard line on this issue or it will dominate the right wing press and election coverage to a very damaging degree.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Stop blaming everything on the Mail! This is front page news in The Guardian too. Maybe Starmer actually really believes Israel has the right to defend itself from Hamas psychopaths.
I am sure Starmer does believe Israel has a right to defend itself, pretty sure he would also be a bit more critical of the way they are going about it currently though, if he didn't have a right wing press gagging for him to say something they can cite as antisemitic or supportive of terrorists. And you know it.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

At the risk of Clem Fandango getting irate, didnt the Mail report his comments made at a particular meeting, which he then apologised for, and the next day reported other comments that he had made previously which were considered to be worse? I mean it wasn't a change of mind on the same evidence, it was further evidence that changed Starmers mind.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
A single comment can be forgiven IMHO, once evidence emerged that it was more then they acted

As for Guido Fawkes, his late night tweeting last night should disbar his contributions from being taken seriously
Depends what that single comment is

What Ali said

Ali had, after all, told Labour members that Israel “deliberately took the security off” to knowingly allow the 7 October attack to happen to “give them the green light to do whatever they bloody want”

With no proof, Meets the high bar for him to be binned straight away.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Depends what that single comment is

What Ali said

Ali had, after all, told Labour members that Israel “deliberately took the security off” to knowingly allow the 7 October attack to happen to “give them the green light to do whatever they bloody want”

With no proof, Meets the high bar for him to be binned straight away.
He didn't make that up himself though. He had read that claim and repeated it, and apologised when told it was without evidence. It also is not clearly antisemitic, America has had similar accusations about the 9/11 attacks. There does seem to be evidence of intelligence not being effectively acted upon in both cases, and opportunities to prevent both from occurring were missed. Which is a long way from "letting it happen" or encouraging it, but mistrust of a Government and its intelligence agencies, and coming up with a conspiracy theory is not necessarily racist. The other comments revealed were less ambiguous.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
He didn't make that up himself though. He had read that claim and repeated it, and apologised when told it was without evidence. It also is not clearly antisemitic, America has had similar accusations about the 9/11 attacks. There does seem to be evidence of intelligence not being effectively acted upon in both cases, and opportunities to prevent both from occurring were missed. Which is a long way from "letting it happen" or encouraging it, but mistrust of a Government and its intelligence agencies, and coming up with a conspiracy theory is not necessarily racist. The other comments revealed were less ambiguous.

He admitted reading it down after going down a rabbit hole on you tube, he still repeated it in a room of people, the fact he didn't come up with it doesn't mean it's ok.

I'm sorry, but just because he didn't come up with it himself, doesn't give him a pass, nor does it mean he shouldn't be sacked straight away.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
For heaven's sake that was nearly a century ago. I'm sure the Spectator and Observer said a few rum things back in the 1800s.

I know right! You’d think they’d have educated themselves by now. Nearly a century later they are still backing the far right.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I agree on the second suspension, but the first should have been kicked out the day it came out.

It may have been kept from his ears, or maybe due process was deemed necessary.

Anyway, as many have noted, it is a much better look than being a lifelong prick like Johnson and Corbyn. And, the more we get to learn about the tiny bad-tempered radio 2 afternoon DJ soundalike: Sunk.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This would be why Labour didn't instantly dismiss him. Finding the other comments was needed. And they were found.....

Was it not the case that we only found out about it because the Daily Fail had a copy of the recordings and released it. Er, some time after the event, not to do the public a service, but to cause labour maximum damage, too close to the by-election to bin Ali as a candidate.

Anyway, Starmer has done everything correctly. Time to move on (to the next old labour idiot or wannabe saviour of the Palestinians to gob off, be recorded by a Daily Fail stooge, with the recording saved until it can be released in a timely fashion to boost the sorry arse of Sunk).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here