Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Sir Keir Starmer’s route to Number 10

Rdodge30

Dec 30, 2022
Source: The Times

SKS steps up to the plate today in his speech he will say:

“A Labour government will freeze your council tax this year — that’s our choice. A tax cut for the many, not just for the top 1 per cent. We will fund this with a proper windfall tax on Gas and Oil companies”

A good shout 👍
simple, popular and funded

He will also highlight Labour’s pledge to abolish non-dom tax status, using the money to pay for “one of the biggest expansions of the NHS workforce in history”

Another good shout 👍

I thought his 10 pledges and 5 missions were/are problematic, his New Year Speech was lacking in content and last week’s speech in Stoke scratched the surface but largely went unnoticed - however this fits the bill.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008

“A Labour government will freeze your council tax this year — that’s our choice. A tax cut for the many, not just for the top 1 per cent. We will fund this with a proper windfall tax on Gas and Oil companies”

A good shout 👍

He will also highlight Labour’s pledge to abolish non-dom tax status, using the money to pay for “one of the biggest expansions of the NHS workforce in history”

Another good shout 👍

I thought his 10 pledges and 5 missions were/are problematic, his New Year Speech was lacking in content and last week’s speech in Stoke scratched the surface but largely went unnoticed - however this fits the bill.
Yes please to those pledges. Fundable, achievable, and the antithesis of the Tory mindset. No pie in the sky magical thinking or well-meaning promises like under Corbyn that can never be achieved either.

Just pragmatic, popular policies they have a hope of making good on.

We need to get 100% behind Starmer for the good of the nation.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
trouble with re-spending a windfall tax is when the conditions leading to the windfall go, you have a funding shortfall. when oil/gas prices revert to mean (which they are already), the revenue will disappear.

it's not really funded, unless its a permenant tax on predictable forecasts.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
trouble with re-spending a windfall tax is when the conditions leading to the windfall go, you have a funding shortfall. when oil/gas prices revert to mean (which they are already), the revenue will disappear.

it's not really funded, unless its a permenant tax on predictable forecasts.
I guess this is why he said the gas/oil windfall will be used to freeze council tax for a finite period. Non-dom status is different though, this should be an ongoing uplift in tax-revenue.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Very easy to say they will freeze council tax this year when not in power so its just words.
Do people actually fully read what he says. He has explained how he intends to fund it. Besides, I’d rather have words from the oppo than the actions of this government any day.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT: politician makes popular promises about what to do when being elected.

Sounds like things that would indeed be good for you, but talk is very cheap. I'd be curious to see how many promises made by politicians, in opposition or in power, that actually turn into reality. Probably not that many as a requirement to be a successful politician - in any country - is to be a lying bastard full of shit (and who can blame them? People get tricked into believing in this or that every damn time, learning nothing from the past).

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

A good shout 👍

Another good shout 👍

The first one is, the second is symbolic and ideological and won't raise anywhere near the amount to fund NHS expansion.

Should everyone be taxed, yes..... but the reality is many will move and you'll get 25-40% of nothing with the loss of secondary taxations like VAT.

One tax I'd love them to change, is to remove road tax and apportion an extra taxation Levy on fuel. It doesn't seem fair that a granny who goes to shops once a week is taxed same as someone who does 30k a year, and it doesn't tax the plethora of foreign HGV vehicles on the roads who use them more than said Granny. It's a much fairer way where everyone would pay in proportion to usage.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
This year?

How's he going to manage that exactly?
The poster misquoted. Starmer said for a year from what I read.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I guess this is why he said the gas/oil windfall will be used to freeze council tax for a finite period. Non-dom status is different though, this should be an ongoing uplift in tax-revenue.
fair point, i'd just listened to Reeves who didnt make clear it was just the one year. non-dom raises about 3bn according to LSE, assuming no changes to behavior.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The only way to power is to rebrand as New Labour, oh hang on........

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT: politician makes popular promises about what to do when being elected.

Sounds like things that would indeed be good for you, but talk is very cheap. I'd be curious to see how many promises made by politicians, in opposition or in power, that actually turn into reality. Probably not that many as a requirement to be a successful politician - in any country - is to be a lying bastard full of shit (and who can blame them? People get tricked into believing in this or that every damn time, learning nothing from the past).

Your grasp of politics is insightful. I thought they were all good for their word and wholly trustworthy.

Thanks for putting us all straight though. Maybe this time I will listen to what he says but take it as an indication of the direction they way move in.

Close thing thought, we all nearly got tricked.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
fair point, i'd just listened to Reeves who didnt make clear it was just the one year. non-dom raises about 3bn according to LSE, assuming no changes to behavior.
And you've nailed it.....assuming no change to behaviour, thats naivety in the extreme. Of course it changes behaviour. They won't get anywhere near 3B.

If I tax everyone who walks to the shops on a Saturday £20, that's Xmillion who do times £20 = 3BN.

Guess what, the majority won't anymore!

I'm not a supporter of non doms, but I'd hazard a guess that the overall tax take that all non doms bring the treasury through primary and secondary taxation goes down not up when they move, as many will.
The only consideration should be what brings the most overall net revenue in taxation, that factors in reality of human nature.

This is fag packet economics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here