[Albion] Simon Adingra - 20 year old Ivory Coast forward - Signed 24/06/2022

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Oh. So just another "buy to loan to sell" then. Can't get excited about them. Which is a shame as his highlight reel looked pretty good I thought.

Buy, to loan, to assess, to recall or sell depending on the assessment is more accurate.

Some recent buy > loan > not (immediately) sold

Alzate - bought, loaned, first team
Tau - bought, loaned, first team appearances, sold
MacAllister - bought, loaned, recalled, broke into first team
Moder - bought, loaned, recalled, broke into first team
Caicedo - bought, loaned, recalled, broke into first team

And for the season ahead, there's probably more "Bought > Loaned" players who'll make it to the first team. Prospects including Undav, Mitoma, Kozlowski, Clarke, van Hecke ... to be honest I'm seeing more hits than misses over recent seasons. It looks to me like a system that's working. We're developing a solid approach of buying on potential, nurturing that potential via loans, and then either promoting into the first team or selling where the potential doesn't make it to Prem standard. As long as a) the hit rate of those who make it is high and b) the sell rate (and values) for those who don't meets a minimum standard, then I'm all for the approach the Albion are taking.

Don't think the lazy trope of "buy to loan to sell" works anymore.

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
Oh yeah I remember [MENTION=38515]Frankworthington[/MENTION] saying that the system is junk and that we would never see Caicedo in a Brighton shirt.

You'd imagine that players like Alexis MacAllister and Moises Caicedo would teach you not to count out players being brought in to go on loan, but one thing we can learn from history is that people struggle to learn from history.

The drugs and pizza have affected your memory. I never said the system was JUNK. I do not understand the wisdom of paying fees for the likes of Zeqiri, Sima ect then sending them out on loan, whilst keeping wasters like Connolly. At least give them some game time.

Just for the record, I was a season ticket holder at Withdean for 3 seasons and have contributed a great deal of money to the club since 1981.That entitles me to an opinion.

I have not contributed to this thread so leave me out of it. You are back on ignore. You are the biggest bore in christendom.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Oh yeah I remember [MENTION=38515]Frankworthington[/MENTION] saying that the system is junk and that we would never see Caicedo in a Brighton shirt.

You'd imagine that players like Alexis MacAllister and Moises Caicedo would teach you not to count out players being brought in to go on loan, but one thing we can learn from history is that people struggle to learn from history.

It’s akin to common sense which it turns out is not very common

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Oh. So just another "buy to loan to sell" then. Can't get excited about them. Which is a shame as his highlight reel looked pretty good I thought.

Ha ! Nearly half of our team we bought as youngsters then loaned them out.!
Moder, Alzate, Sanchez, Caicedo, MacAllister and then some of , perhaps all, of Undav, Van Hecke, Khadra, Mitoma will be joining them this summer in the first team squad. And its far too early to write off Enciso, Koslowski, Sima, and several others. Some won't work out - or make the standard or not develop how we'd like but so what...?
Thats just how the Albion works these days...

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The drugs and pizza have affected your memory. I never said the system was JUNK. I do not understand the wisdom of paying fees for the likes of Zeqiri, Sima ect then sending them out on loan, whilst keeping wasters like Connolly. At least give them some game time.

Just for the record, I was a season ticket holder at Withdean for 3 seasons and have contributed a great deal of money to the club since 1981.That entitles me to an opinion.

I have not contributed to this thread so leave me out of it. You are back on ignore. You are the biggest bore in christendom.

Ok to be more exact you said that signing players and sending them on loan is "why the club is a mess".

And yeah I know you don't understand that wisdom despite the advantages being mentioned over and over again and pretty much every single successful club doing it. The bottle must have affected your reasoning.

For the record, I haven't spent a penny but I'm a human so I'm equally entitled to my opinion. :thumbsup:

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

You have a right to an opinion whether you've been a fan for 40 years or 40 weeks...

I think the wisdom is in whether it's a financial success or not. Whatever we think of Connolly, we paid a minimal fee for him and could well get a transfer fee if he leave (although I suspect another loan before being released at this rate). With Zeqiri and Sima, I expect that at least one of them will end up going elsewhere but for more than we paid.

I see our signings as two things: 1) Caicedo, Mac Allister, Sanchez types that we sign for decent money and become 1st teamers or 2) Karbownik, Clarke types the we also sign for decent fees, but don't quite make it and we sell on to recoup the value or make a profit

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
You have a right to an opinion whether you've been a fan for 40 years or 40 weeks...

I think the wisdom is in whether it's a financial success or not. Whatever we think of Connolly, we paid a minimal fee for him and could well get a transfer fee if he leave (although I suspect another loan before being released at this rate). With Zeqiri and Sima, I expect that at least one of them will end up going elsewhere but for more than we paid.

I see our signings as two things: 1) Caicedo, Mac Allister, Sanchez types that we sign for decent money and become 1st teamers or 2) Karbownik, Clarke types the we also sign for decent fees, but don't quite make it and we sell on to recoup the value or make a profit

I reckon more often than not we will end up making a loss on these players. But this will be more than offset by the occasional £30 or £50m sale for one who hits the stratosphere

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Indeed. And occasionally there will be signings that doesn't turn into profit/recouping the value, but thats just normal.

Brighton is currently the only PL club with a net profit on transfers over the last 2.5 years, while improving results on the pitch, so clearly things are working out quite nicely.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
We'll only know the answer to that if Tonton Zola Moukoko rocks up in Albion kit.
I haven't played FM in years but I remember there being a fair few occasions where I signed players I'd never heard of who then actually signed for Brighton a while later. My most proud moment was when we signed Ulloa and while most people had never heard of him, he was already a legend in my eyes after firing us to the PL.

Think I also took Gary Gardner on loan before we did and he was equally shit.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I haven't played FM in years but I remember there being a fair few occasions where I signed players I'd never heard of who then actually signed for Brighton a while later. My most proud moment was when we signed Ulloa and while most people had never heard of him, he was already a legend in my eyes after firing us to the PL.

Did you have him on penalties?

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
That's amazing. Is there somewhere where I can look these stats up?

I don't know, I compiled a list manually in Mars:

Transfer balance in the Covid era (according to Transfermarkt):

Arsenal €-202m
Chelsea €-185m
Manchester United €-173m
Newcastle €-171m
Leeds €-166m
Tottenham €-159m
Manchester City €-135m
Liverpool €-123m
Aston Villa €-101m
Crystal Palace €-88m
West Ham €-80m
Leicester €-67m
Everton €-62m
Wolverhampton €-15m
Burnley €-4m
Brighton €-3m
Southampton €+6m

Since then, Brighton sold Biss (and bought Enciso but overall a profit) while Southampton bought a keeper for £12m, meaning they are now "in the red".

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields

Totally agree.

But I had not contributed to this thread and resent being mentioned in it

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports