Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK withdraw from Eurovision?

Should the UK enter or withdraw from Eurovision?

• Yes

Votes: 69 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 34.9%

• Total voters

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
You are taking this shit WAY too seriously, most people in the UK wouldn't miss this farce for a second. Please don't suggest we have yet another reality tv programme, we are already swamped with them and they are all cringworthy chav tv.

No... the porblem is the English don't realise how seriously eurovision is taken abroad and the goodwill that goes with taking part. Im seriously not joking that UK pulling out of Eurovision would be be seen very badly... after all they were one of the founder members and they are one of the underwriters... a UK pull out would threaten the whole competition.

We live in a world of globalisation and even in such minor inconsequential things we need to remember we are not an island... how our fellow countries see us is important and we have to respect what they value.... they value Eurovision and they need us for it to continue.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
My tuppenceworth:

Yes, it's politicised, but a good enough song will still do OK. We do keep sending shit songs. The Belgian song, which came, what, third this year? It was written by a Yorkshireman and sung in English. Why couldn't we have entered that? Why do they have to make our entry the subject of YET ANOTHER reality TV viewer voting type show, which is, as I understand it, what they did this year? (I didn't watch it so forgive me if that's inaccurate).

I realise that the Belgian song entered by GB would not have done as well as third, such is the politicised nature of the voting, but you're howling at the moon if you expect that to change. Wogan accepted it isn't going to and baled out. Personally, I only watch the voting. I can't stand listening to 20-odd shit songs all night, but I find the voting and its inherent bias quite amusing, and don't think Norton does too bad a job.

And why does it matter so much? So what if the rest of Europe takes it so seriously? We'll enjoy it our way and let them enjoy it theirs. This is not, incidentally, a universal truth as anybody who has watched the coverage in Spain will tell you. They take the piss just as much as we do.

I'm with Meade's Ball on this one - I can't get too wound up about being rubbish at something we a) supposedly treat with, at best, irreverence and b) costs the winner millions.

Edit: Didn't vote in the poll, by the way. A 'Don't care either way' button would have better represented how we all like to think we feel about Eurovision, though I have my doubts looking at some of the posts on this thread.

Last edited:

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill
I believe we have to have the Eurovision song contest as it's part of an agreement with Eurovision that gives us football. However, the Eurovision song contest is a farce and has been for years bearing in mind it's not in the least be a reflection of the type of music that people buy. Apart from Abba not many winners have go far have they ? Also, look around Europe, you can count the successful artists from any country bar the UK, Eire and Sweden just about on the fingers on one foot. I never watch it and would be more than happy if it disappeared from our screens with immediate effect. I'd sooner watch a season of Big Brother.

Express thats fight talk. At least Eurovision knows its a tacky joke but takes itself as face value, and besides, its tradition. Personally I think its hilarious. And you cant knock that gorgeoous German winner, unless of course it means knocking one out..

Big brother and the ridiculous exaustion of the TV talent show idea is far worse and highlights what is wrong with this country. That's basically CHTV (council house television)

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
No. Just stop relying on old 'names' & has-beens to produce the songs. There are hundreds of highly talented, young songwriters out there who would do a far better job than Pete Waterman et al.

Our entry proved that Waterman was part of a songwriting team that turned out dross all through the 80s. They tried to reproduce it and it was shown up for what it was. Sh*t.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No. Just stop relying on old 'names' & has-beens to produce the songs. There are hundreds of highly talented, young songwriters out there who would do a far better job than Pete Waterman et al.

Our entry proved that Waterman was part of a songwriting team that turned out dross all through the 80s. They tried to reproduce it and it was shown up for what it was. Sh*t.

:clap:

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Express - evidently that German song had had extensive exposure and repeated plays on radio in large parts of Western and Central Europe, so people did know it and had bought it. One possible reason it did so well, I suppose. But your general point is correct, I think. How many people in this country would have bought any of our entries in the last few years? From what little I can remember of them, which in itself speaks volumes for their quality, they've been universally shit.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
:bounce:

Step forward.... Blue!

_51018309_000300628-1.jpg

BBC News - Blue to represent UK at Eurovision Song Contest

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here