Should the UK withdraw from Eurovision?

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK enter or withdraw from Eurovision?

• Yes

Votes: 69 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 34.9%

• Total voters

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
We should withdraw from Eurovision because ...
- it's a war we can never win
- too many of our lads and lasses have suffered humiliation at the hands of spangly costumed novelty acts
- the report suggesting we go into Eurovision was flawed

Suggest we strike a covert deal with an impoverished Eastern European state that can't afford to enter, form a new alliance and see if we get more votes that way. Where's the Minister for Eurovision Development anyway?

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Regarding withdrawing from Eurovision, we shouldn't let our indecision take us from behind.

Instead, I'd advocate we should trust our inner vision and don't let others change our mind.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
We should go back to it being Western Europe Eurovision and get rid of the Eastern European Countries who seem to have missed the original spirit of the whole thing. Once upon a time it was just Greece and Cyprus who voted for each other and just the Irish who refused to vote for the UK. Let the Eastern Europeans go off and have their own competition. I have no doubt Wogan would agree to come back under those circumstances :thumbsup:

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
I don't see people saying we should withdraw from the World Cup because we never win it...

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Yet again the rest of Europe treats us with contempt in regard to giving us points in this campfest. Is it because they think we have taken part in unlawful wars?

No its because the song was UTTER SHITE. we were lucky to get any points.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
Yes, we should withdraw, not because we don't win but because it's a waste of cash that isn't even redeemed by having a decent presenter anymore.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I vote we walk... there is saturation of the airwaves of that camp 'oirish midget Norton already. As for eurovision itself, whats the point ? Is the winning song adopted as the European Nation Anthem for the next year ? no, it dies a natural death in the obscurity it deserves.
We walk, gentlemen !:thumbsup:

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I say keep it. Look at what it rivals on mainstream tv for a Saturday night and it's much better than Britain's Got Bellends and less wholly embarassing as whever is "British" represents us zero-ly.
There's nothing wrong with being shit at something that is shit. I wouldn't cry if i came last in a three-legged-race or it turned out i was the worst at guessing the weight of peanuts in a sack or i could only eat 5 weetabix in 2 minutes in such a contest against those that stomached so many more. It's throwaway and pointless and has no part in our lives. Hence it being right for tv. And europeans singing in English is funny.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
we are so narrow-minded sometimes.... we can't win so we better pull out hahahahahahha. Pulling out will juts give other countrişes more evidence that the only people we care about is ourselves... our splendid isolation and our splendid arrogance.

Not worried as it won't happen... even the stupidest politician knows pulling out of eurovision would be an embarrassing climbdown... we are stuck with it for better or worse.

And before you say it... yes, eurovision IS that important.. its only the english who havent grasped it.... crazy I know but there it is..

What is a far better idea is to do what the germans have done... have a reality tv show.... the road to eurovision.

SULLY COULDNT SHOOT

Loyal2Family+Albion!
Sep 28, 2004
Izmir, Southern Turkey
Jesus Christ, I can't believe how angry some people get about it. I'd be embarrassed to care that much about something that's clearly only taken seriously by a) 12 year olds or b) Eastern Europeans. Let's not put ourselves on the same level as the Italians and throw our toys out of the pram because no-one is paying us any attention anymore. Also, before getting self-righteous about the amount the BBC pays shouldn't you produce some sort of evidence that the figure is significantly more than the audience share it gets on TV justifies?

That said, I don't understand why they don't make it a Europe-wide X-Factor style audience phone vote. Surely the cash they'd make would pay for the whole thing twice over and end all the vote-fixing too?

NO... THAT is the problem... 50% is phone vote and it is usually the foriegn contingents in different countries that block vote and therefore skew the results... why Turkey always gets big marks form UK and Germany

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
We did actually have a reality show to choose the singer though didn't we? Trouble was that he was given a shit song.

I don't acually think we should withdraw completely, but the BBC should stop paying so much and let us have to qualify for the main event like the others.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Given that we were last this year, won't we have to qualify in order to take part next year? Now all we need to do to compose another crap song that means we don't make the final in Germany. Easy peasy and I doubt whether the rest of Europe will miss us. Incidentally, I am the only one that thought that the German song was shite?

:smile:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
we are so narrow-minded sometimes.... we can't win so we better pull out hahahahahahha. Pulling out will juts give other countrişes more evidence that the only people we care about is ourselves... our splendid isolation and our splendid arrogance.

Not worried as it won't happen... even the stupidest politician knows pulling out of eurovision would be an embarrassing climbdown... we are stuck with it for better or worse.

And before you say it... yes, eurovision IS that important.. its only the english who havent grasped it.... crazy I know but there it is..

What is a far better idea is to do what the germans have done... have a reality tv show.... the road to eurovision.

You are taking this shit WAY too seriously, most people in the UK wouldn't miss this farce for a second. Please don't suggest we have yet another reality tv programme, we are already swamped with them and they are all cringworthy chav tv.

Stoo82

GEEZUS!
Jul 8, 2008
Hove
Do countries block vote though?

or

1) Do they vote for the best song. (like this years winner, not that I like it, but it was the clear winner (or did they think that noone has any money, let ther Germans pay for it!?))

2)They vote for th culture/type of music that is closest to them?

If Grayham Norton 360 is so shit, put the TV on mute, plug your laptop in and put radio 2 on. Much better than that twat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports