Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Should the UK withdraw from Eurovision?

Should the UK enter or withdraw from Eurovision?

• Yes

Votes: 69 65.1%
  • No

Votes: 37 34.9%

• Total voters

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Following yet another dismal performance in last nights show should we be just viewers plus join Austria and Italy in not taking part at all!

Or should we remain take it seriously and enter the likes of Prodigy and The Kooks in future events, plus then the votes wont just come from Ireland or sometimes Malta!

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I think we should quit. Don't we pay a large amount of the cost as well?

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
No we should just find someone good and write them a pop/dance tune. We still haven't worked out that thats what Europe likes.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Yes, 100%, two years ago I'd have said no because the humiliation of being shit was taken away with the excellent pisstaking by Wogan, Norton is just f***ing useless.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
As someone said yesterday get Harry Hill presenting it and it will be worth watching again. Or perhaps the guy off Come Dine With Me, basically it needs someone who is good at taking the piss out of stuff.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
Think of the best song you know.Your favourite.Imagine this worlds best song as the UK entry for Eurovision.With any singer you like as an honorary Brit.

Do you think it would win ? No,of course it wouldn't.The Beatles,The Stones,Chas and Dave,The Kinks any Brit singer or band you fancy with the most brilliant song and in their pomp,and "I loved a banjo player from the Ukraine bangalang" would beat it hollow.Especially if sung by the Benedictine Boys Choir from old Uzbek.

The competition is politicised dross,and I definitely would not give it foive.

Gone.

Also,the poll question makes no sense.But I'd vote not to enter,and to withdraw anything we pay for this nonsense.

Last edited:

Strike

Sussex Border Front
Mar 12, 2004
Three Bridges, Crawley
Yes, 100%, two years ago I'd have said no because the humiliation of being shit was taken away with the excellent pisstaking by Wogan, Norton is just f***ing useless.

This!

I agree also that the crappy X Factor style pop does not do us any favor in getting any points, and that its not just Europe hating England!

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
It's a pointless waste off BBC money, we should have pulled out years ago. It's not as if we need a contest to showcase the UK's musical talent, the worldwide popularity and multi million album sales of UK bands/artists are testament enough.

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Always seen it as a bit of a joke, now it's just pathetic. Why should we have to come up with songs to try and impress the electro dance pop loving Europeans. It's shit music and as posted above, it's too political to stand a chance of UK being popular. Waste of money and time. We'll concentrate on producing great bands and artists and leave the others to the shitty one off dross

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
The acts/songs we put up are absolute dross.

We produce better music that any other nation in the world, yet no credible artist would wish to be associated with this car crash of a show.

Obviously all the voting is political as well.

Huge waste of money.

For those reason i'm out.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why should we have to come up with songs to try and impress the electro dance pop loving Europeans.

well if we did we'd probably do quite well. i heard the UK entry and thought it was a time warp to 1987 and Rick Astley's young cousin was singing. we made electro dance pop genre, yet for some unknwon reason our entry is always some upbeat ballard which wouldnt even get in to our own top 40.

but really to the original question, should we withdraw? the answer is, should we care?

Barnham Seagull

Yapton Actually
Dec 28, 2005
Yapton
No, our entry was utter turd awful song and the backing singers were totaly out of tune.

Germany are normally utter crap but the song they put forward has been a big hit acrross many countries in Europe recently which is why they won.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
No we should just find someone good and write them a pop/dance tune. We still haven't worked out that thats what Europe likes.

You are kidding aren't you? It's entirely political and predictable and the UK will never win it again. Gets less and less coverage in the UK will soon be ditched here hopefully. Embarrassing and anachronistic - can't go soon enough.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
We should definitely not withdraw. We should fight to win with every breath of our body. Where they are going wrong in recent times is letting the public chose who enters.

Select someone, like an X factor finalist, then get a song to suit them and enter them. Don't let the UK people chose as we are miles out of touch with Europe, especially with the cultures of Eastern Europe who hold so many votes.

We have to take it more seriously. At least with Lloyd Webber we managed a respectable 5th. More of the same but with a better named singer please.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
trouble is the mainstream record companies will have nothing to do with it, so you would never get the likes of Robbie Williams, George Michael, Blur etc playing.

I would cut our funding to it and go in like the others, ie go into the semi's and be knocked out then , not having to be humiliated by Azerbijan every year

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here